HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
If I were JBatt, I would do this:

JB: A, I've narrowed this down to Coach A or Coach B. Here are the their respective pros and cons.... All things considered, I'm leaning toward A. What do you think?
AC: Nice presentation, J. You've done your homework. I like B, but I could live with A. It's your call. What do you want to do?
JB: If you're okay with it, I want to go with A.
AC: Fine. Make the call. I'll set up the presser. Good work, J.
JB: Thanks, A. I appreciate your support. We have some battles ahead of us with the $$ boys, so let's stick together.
AC: Count on it!
And add: “Thank you for the interview Gentlemen, we’ll get back to you or your agent as soon as the decision is made. And don’t believe anything you read elsewhere!”

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
I'll say this again and as often as is necessary in this madhouse...

If we have targeted ANY coach who is playing this weekend, we will NOT hear anything.

So, speculation about what may or may not happen with either JChad or WFri (how do we abbreviate Fritz?), is JUST speculation and no inferences can be made.

Period. End.of.story.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Jamey Chadwell to USouth Florida getting a lot of heat on Twitter.
other than money, this doesn’t make much sense. Sun belt is looking like it might take over best G5 conference with JMU playing lights out and app st. Coastal is fit to be a competitor in the league (Troy has played some good teams close but I think they are second tier currently). With ucf, Houston, and cinci leaving the aac, they are not going to be very good. Maybe USF becomes a place where you can get to easier championships, but I think the prestige of the conference is going away.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Bro, you're doing message boarding all wrong...

Humor Boomer GIF

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I'll say this again and as often as is necessary in this madhouse...

If we have targeted ANY coach who is playing this weekend, we will NOT hear anything.

So, speculation about what may or may not happen with either JChad or WFri (how do we abbreviate Fritz?), is JUST speculation and no inferences can be made.

Period. End.of.story.

Wait ... so I can't comment until something real happens?

Gold Rush Wtf GIF by Discovery

SunBum

Georgia Tech Fan
My guess is Willy was ADJB's choice over the weekend. Somebody found out that didn't like it, Ole Boys Club?, and leaked it knowing it wouldn't go over well with the fan-base. Willy was like 'you were supposed to keep this quiet! I ain't doing $h!t till after our AAC championship game next weekend!". ADJB pouted for the night and then decided Monday morning to keep testing the waters with other candidates (Clark, Sumrall, et al) while he waits...

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
No, we wouldn't. GTAA was starving CPJ for resources. Now, had we INVESTED in the program at that time, we would be in a different space.

CPJ said one thing that has always resonated with me. Tech is closer to a service academy in the importance of athletics to the university, the resources, and the quality and skill of the athletes. We just don't want to admit that.
"Tech is closer to a service academy..." There would seem to be a lot of truth in that statement. I would offer one caveat. We have access to recruiting areas that the service academies can only dream about.

Ramble1885

Helluva Engineer
I know about the Zelnak family but besides that I don’t know much about our boosters. Does anyone have a list of some prominent ones and what they are known for?

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
One of the things I was talking to my dad about last night was that it's not just that Key did something with nothing. He made the decisions that needed to be made to move the team forward. Out of the gate he works on the blocked punts and (possibly overcorrects) we don't have that anymore this year - bad snap at UGA notwithstanding. UVA game...he puts in the backup who is not ready, has a bad game, whatever you want to say. So next game, he uses Pyron and moves Gibson back a notch. Pyron plays great at VT. D holds, and we squeak out a win. Miami - Pyron gets hurt (and we were in the game until he broke his collar bone - remember that 2nd interception by him was because of the injury he didn't know he had) so instead of just "next man up" he gets Weinke involved and makes a game plan for UNC. Then he plays UGA better than nearly any other team this year. (yes, bad 3rd qtr, but we are the first team to score TD in first qtr on them all year, and with a combo offense and a 4th string QB!)

There are still issues to be worked out if we had more games (punt/KO return coverage for one), but he started with a defeated team with ZERO hope and no chance to win anything and they beat the top 3 in the coastal under him in an impossible situation. 5-7 was not possible in anyone's mind 4 months ago.

The kids LOVE him. They play FOR him. They believe in him becuase he believes in them and makes matter of fact decisions to win. I like him! He knows how to coach P5, and I"m not sure these others they are talking to will. We will see. I'm for Key.
I am not advocating for Coach Key but this part should be noted by AD Batt: "The kids LOVE him. They play FOR him..." Having confidence and respect for the coaches has become a major contributing factor in having a successful program for a school below the elite factory class.

slugboy

Staff member
"Tech is closer to a service academy..." There would seem to be a lot of truth in that statement. I would offer one caveat. We have access to recruiting areas that the service academies can only dream about.

Service academies actually play by slightly different rules. One is that there isn’t a class size limit. Another is that they’re visiting more high schools than just about everyone. If someone was in your school to talk about West Point, they were also looking for football and baseball players and other athletes