HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Still not an absolute commitment. He "intends" to be coaching there now unless something changes. Technically, the contract may not yet be signed. If he's keeping it quiet, what else can he say?

"intend" and "100% will be" are different things. I intend to work out later today, but I plan on watching Team America in the World Cup this afternoon so I may be too many sheets to the wind to 100% be certain I'll make it to the gym.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
Reading this thread like.....

1669742423227.png

Novajacket

Jolly Good Fellow
From Thamel's tweet we seem to be looking at someone involved in a championship game this weekend. Looking at it there maybe other candidates we are waiting for. I would love if the guy on the other sideline from Fritz, Malzhan, is who we are waiting for. I am think ing JBatt has connections from Alabama to him. Also I think he would ask Saban for recommendation. If anyone knows how good Malzhan it is Saban.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
Oops, they did beat FSU so 1-3. I still don't get the obsession with Wake around here.
Small school. Check.
High academic standards. Check.
Succeeding with a unique offense. Check.

Some feel that Wake is slaying Goliaths because they are not trying to play Goliath's game and that this was what gave CPJ an edge. The difference seems to be that Wake has incorporated more passing into their Mesh than CPJ ever did.

jmahone

Georgia Tech Fan

Have you seen this? I know that the Tech people will cry about how the rankings are biased, but there is a little school that is ranked 49th and our Institute is ranked 44. I wonder how they do so well.

Also, there are better football schools ranked higher than us. The elitism that Tech people have are the reason why we aren't very good. Its also the reason why we don't have side-walk fans.
Rankings of universities is always a tricky thing. Comparing an institute of technology with a full-range university is especially tricky.

Tech ranks 4th behind MIT, Stanford, and Berkeley for engineering universities, tied with Cal Tech. Yes, Tech is elite in the engineering domain. This is sourced from the same US News and World Report rankings you used.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
seems that, if all the drama that is alleged is actually occurring, the next coach is in a very difficult spot, regardless of who they are.

I am not sure that I am totally comfortable with the president being the only one who decides everything. if what @Techster is saying is the case, then the president has set himself up as the final and only voice that matters. I am not sure that is a great plan.

we'll see.

regardless of well-run it is behind the scenes, the fact is that lack of information lets everyone's minds wander - us, players, other coaches, media. lack of anything does not seem like the way to handle it. they have to name names or anything, but they could say something like we're still talking to some folks, and expect to have something more definitive by the weekend, next week, in march, or whatever it is.

I sometimes used to tell parents, when I coached travel softball, that just because they didn't know what was happening inside the fence didn't mean that the players and coaches didn't know. we had a reason for everything we did, if they understood it or not. but, at least I told them that much.
Yes, 100 times. This was the situation just before we hired Paul. Nobody had a clear clue that he was even in the picture as far as a hire went, then he was hired. I didn't blame the AD for that then and I don't blame Batt now. This is his business and he has his reasons. Btw, I told my youth league baseball parents the same thing before we hit the tournaments. It didn't seem to help much. Winning a couple of games did.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled program …

georgiatech22

Georgia Tech Fan
From Thamel's tweet we seem to be looking at someone involved in a championship game this weekend. Looking at it there maybe other candidates we are waiting for. I would love if the guy on the other sideline from Fritz, Malzhan, is who we are waiting for. I am think ing JBatt has connections from Alabama to him. Also I think he would ask Saban for recommendation. If anyone knows how good Malzhan it is Saban.
I would absolutely love it to be Gus, but would he leave UCF to come to us?

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I’ve wondered if some of our sidewalk fan issue comes from inaccessibility, folks having trouble imagining themselves or their kids ever going to GT.

Sidewalk fans are very rarely interested in the academics of the school they are rooting for, but rather the athletics. People become fans of teams that they see. In the early days of football, you might cheer for the hometown team, even if you never had a chance of getting in. Notre Dame had a truly national draw because it was the Premier Catholic University, and the big state schools presence on radio and tv drew in fans. GT thrived during this time because of good leadership and coaching. Since the college sports TV boom, the factories have been able to leverage their inherent advantages to out-recruit the second tier schools like GT. This leads to more uga merchandise in the store, more uga articles in the news, etc. GT is a nonstarter for most casual fans because no one outside of ATL covers them. The only coverage they have on the Augusta Chronicle website this season is when they played uga. Nothing outside of consistent winning will likely fix that.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
Stop.

slugboy

Staff member
Malzahn just got to UCF. It’s more likely than us getting Kiffin from Ole Miss, but not much.

Conference USA has North Texas vs UTSA. Both coaches base their success on recruiting Texas. Not a great fit

Pac12: Utah vs USC. Unless it’s a coordinator, next

B12: KState vs TCU. We’ve mentioned Garrett Riley, OC at TCU. Possible interview there

MAC: Toledo vs Ohio. I would be surprised

Sun Belt: Coastal Carolina vs Troy. This would either mean we’re interviewing Troy’s coach or that we never interviewed Chadwell

SEC: UGA vs LSU. UGA has two coaches that have been mentioned—McGee and Monken

Mountain West: Fresno State v Boise State. Unlikely

B1G: Mich v Purdue. I doubt it, but I Brian Brohm (Purdue OC) might be interesting

ACC: Clemson v UNC. I haven’t heard of anything there