HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Do you really know who you're hiring?! @stech81 would need an NIL deal with a liquor and beer DISTRIBUTOR not some package store that wouldn't even get him to lunch time on a Monday.

@stech81 's a pro's pro.
Rick Moranis Beer GIF by Warner Archive

GTNC72

Georgia Tech Fan
Have we concluded that Key is not the guy since his season is over (barring some miraculous bowl bid for our particular 5-7 team), and he likely would have been named by now? Or is Batt looking for a splash with someone like Riley and holding Key in reserve? That would be a kick in the gut for Key who I like and would have been fine with.

#Support Whoever It Is!

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Confirmed by Sanders, but I also understand that he said others are calling and he has made no commitments. His immediate focus is Saturday's CG.

Man, I didn't think he would get a P5 offer...so I'm wrong there if true.

I'm just glad it's Colorado taking the jump into that pool not GT. For everyone who wanted Sanders because of "splash" and his ability to recruit...CO will be the guinea pig to test that theory.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Interesting. Would you prefer him over Fritz or Chadwell (guys with HC experience) or even over Key with his 8 games of experience? That would be a huge gamble (imo).

I think Riley would have offensive recruits lining up to play for him, and if we can retain Thacker, that would be a REALLY good combo for GT. Two young high energy coaches with high ceilings.

Riley's offense has the #13 OFEI at TCU. Thacker got us to #39 DFEI before the UGA game. There are pieces on this roster that would be fantastic in his offense (Pyron, McCollum, Rutherford come to mind).

It's not going to happen, but one can always dream.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Man, I didn't think he would get a P5 offer...so I'm wrong there if true.

I'm just glad it's Colorado taking the jump into that pool not GT. For everyone who wanted Sanders because of "splash" and his ability to recruit...CO will be the guinea pig to test that theory.

It's honestly a can't lose situation for them. Since 2006, they have had one winning season (2016) and haven't had success with traditional coaching hires. Their recruiting the last few years has been mid 30s to mid 40's, with an occasional 50's-60's ranked class so Deion can likely improve on that easily enough. Colorado is also likely to give him a long leash to work with, unlike other P5 schools. With USC and UCLA heading off to the B1G in 2024, he could build a team primed to make a run at the PAC title in a few years.

My opinion is he holds out 'til next week to test the waters on other jobs and makes a decision then. I really thought one of the G5 Florida schools might make a run at him.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
So, what's the order for best HFC job available?

Liberty has tons of cash to throw at a coach and Cincy has recent history and will be in a P5 conference soon with a legit shot at the playoffs under the new format. Colorado has less expectations immediately and Stanford is in prime position to compete for playoff spots out of the PAC under the new format with USC and UCLA leaving.

I'd rate it as Stanford, GT/CO tie (though this galls me for multiple reasons), Cincy, Liberty in a close tier 1, with SFU and maybe WMU not terribly far behind. All the rest are a tangled heap at the rear.

GTjunkie

Jolly Good Fellow
I think Riley would have offensive recruits lining up to play for him, and if we can retain Thacker, that would be a REALLY good combo for GT. Two young high energy coaches with high ceilings.

Riley's offense has the #13 OFEI at TCU. Thacker got us to #39 DFEI before the UGA game. There are pieces on this roster that would be fantastic in his offense (Pyron, McCollum, Rutherford come to mind).

It's not going to happen, but one can always dream.
Sign me up

MidtownJacket

Staff member
youre right GIF

Get on my bak, Jackets. The hero you need, but don't deserve, just walked in the building.

@MidtownJacket you're the OC. Why? '"Cause I need somebody who'll either be great at it or somebody I don't mind sh*tcannin' at halftime of some gawdforsaken preseason game.

And all you donors can keep ya dayum money. I'll work for varsity burgers and chic fil a biscuits and my staff is gonna live in the dorms.

Do we have a deal?
I'mma call a TD Play, every play, even for PAT and Kickoffs.