HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

GT_B

Ramblin' Wreck
I mean this thread is really funny to read and watch. Everyone has said and knows how tight lipped this search has been from Batt and the AA, yet everyone has already raked batt over the coals and nothing has been announced or official. Every rumor or incorrect speculation that comes out it’s somehow an indictment on Batt and his decision making. Maybe we should wait and see who actually gets hired first

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
They liked him too until they didn’t.
The difference between the last coaching search and this one is quite different. Our previous coach retired and there wasn't a guy on staff who the fan base wanted to take over. Nor was the list of candidates overwhelming. In fact, it might not even have been whelming, even at the time.

This one is different. We do have a "leader" in the clubhouse from the fans perspective and also a list of others who are at least whelming.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
The difference between the last coaching search and this one is quite different. Our previous coach retired and there wasn't a guy on staff who the fan base wanted to take over. Nor was the list of candidates overwhelming. In fact, it might not even have been whelming, even at the time.

This one is different. We do have a "leader" in the clubhouse from the fans perspective and also a list of others who are at least whelming.

We've also had over 2 months to stew on this search, as opposed to the week or so the last one took.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
A leper colony is an attractive job for a doctor who has leprosy.

Anyone looking for a job needs to evaluate ... the facilities, the talent, recruiting strength, resources (fanbase, money, institutional support, etc). If you are in the Sun Belt, Tech is a great opportunity. If you are an SEC HC, not so much.

I recall Saban was being considered for a HC role a while back and he visited the campus and athletic facilities. (This is before he became SABAN.) When asked what he thought, he simply said, "I'm not coming here."

My point is Tech is not getting Deion, Urban Meyer, Bill Belichick, Dabo Swinney, or any of the half dozen splash hires tossed around. We are going to get either an up and comer or ... someone experienced and close to retirement. I imagine Fritz would love the job.
I think this is a really important point that alot of GT fans just like to pretend isn't true.

While there are only 69 P5 jobs, GT is not a highly attractive job within those 69.
GT is the smallest public school in the P5 and the 12th smallest overall in terms of undergraduate enrollment. It has a small alum/fanbase relative to most P5 schools.
It has a below average budget for a P5 school and above average debt.
It is harder to recruit at due to the type of school it is than the majority of its competitor schools. David Shaw had an interesting comment about Stanford recruiting. He said after Jr year transcripts became available Stanford usually has about 75 recruits nationally it can recruit. GT isn't quite that tight, but it is similar in that the pool it recruits from is significantly smaller than most of its competitors.

It has a divided fanbase with an 'old boys club' that provides alot of the funding but also wants alot of the say.

Realistically GT is at best a middle of the pack choice for a P5 spot and likely is lower than that, possible bottom quartile of P5 jobs right now.

GT was never going to be a spot that a 'proven' P5 coach was going to take a job at. It is a place that is likely going to have to hire a P5 assistant or G5 HC.

I feel like the biggest issue right now is possibly the internal conflicts at GT turning off coaching candidates. If candidates start to feel like the school and its fanbase are not likely to be behind his program, and not willing to open the pocketbooks to support it, then they are more likely to start second guessing whether they should take the job. Paul Johnson made that comment in his interview last week with the AJC. He said he hoped whoever GT hired, he just hoped they would get the resources necessary to compete or it won't matter who GT hires.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

The problem was, the last coaching search was a complete sham. This is an actual coaching search...though a certain group would love to make it another sham coaching search.

Hoss

Georgia Tech Fan
Any consideration that he (ZG) might have been prepping as second string as they were hoping to save Pyron's RS. Based on your eyeball test, WAS Gibson a better option than Pyron all along. If you do, at this point we will just have toagree to disagree,
we didn’t even have a depth chart, they were just
Above
The
Line

Vespid

Jolly Good Fellow
The problem is, it's not an attractive job for the coaches we really want anymore. Until we build the program back up, we are going to struggle to chase the hotter coaches in any given cycle.
True and fair point, but it's all relative, I guess it depends on who "we" want. Fairly confident the guys "I" want are interested in and view the job as attractive enough to risk pissing off their current employer to entertain the possibility.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
My understanding before today was that a large part of why they fired Chryst was because they didn't want to lose Leonhard to another job. Wonder what changed

I think this is a really important point that alot of GT fans just like to pretend isn't true.

While there are only 69 P5 jobs, GT is not a highly attractive job within those 69.
GT is the smallest public school in the P5 and the 12th smallest overall in terms of undergraduate enrollment. It has a small alum/fanbase relative to most P5 schools.
It has a below average budget for a P5 school and above average debt.
It is harder to recruit at due to the type of school it is than the majority of its competitor schools. David Shaw had an interesting comment about Stanford recruiting. He said after Jr year transcripts became available Stanford usually has about 75 recruits nationally it can recruit. GT isn't quite that tight, but it is similar in that the pool it recruits from is significantly smaller than most of its competitors.

It has a divided fanbase with an 'old boys club' that provides alot of the funding but also wants alot of the say.

Realistically GT is at best a middle of the pack choice for a P5 spot and likely is lower than that, possible bottom quartile of P5 jobs right now.

GT was never going to be a spot that a 'proven' P5 coach was going to take a job at. It is a place that is likely going to have to hire a P5 assistant or G5 HC.

I feel like the biggest issue right now is possibly the internal conflicts at GT turning off coaching candidates. If candidates start to feel like the school and its fanbase are not likely to be behind his program, and not willing to open the pocketbooks to support it, then they are more likely to start second guessing whether they should take the job. Paul Johnson made that comment in his interview last week with the AJC. He said he hoped whoever GT hired, he just hoped they would get the resources necessary to compete or it won't matter who GT hires.
Well said Red. This is the truth.

bigrabbit

Jolly Good Fellow
The problem is, it's not an attractive job for the coaches we really want anymore. Until we build the program back up, we are going to struggle to chase the hotter coaches in any given cycle.
I agree this is probably the case. Or maybe it’s only attractive with stipulations we can’t live with.

All of this was the basis for my vote for Key a while back - he obviously wanted the job, would hopefully not drive the negotiations into untenable territory, players like him, and would allow us to keep a bit of momentum going while we deal with other issues like the debt and reorganizing the AA dysfunction.

Of course that was before the new info about JBatt and Cabrera strongly preferring to clean house (fair enough) and Key being balled up with the crazy AA old guard politics (good grief). Seems like we could untether the need to reset the AA from the need to have a decent football team sooner than later. Two separate issues imo, but who knows.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
True and fair point, but it's all relative, I guess it depends on who "we" want. Fairly confident the guys "I" want are interested in and view the job as attractive enough to risk pissing off their current employer to entertain the possibility.

Mainly because we've convinced ourselves that a hot G5 coach is our best chance. When we hired Bobby Ross, we stole him from fellow ACC school Maryland after he won 3 ACC championships with them. That's how far we've fallen. We sure can't convince a coach like Clawson to leave Wake, much less ACC coaches who have won conference championships, yet in our minds, we still think we are that good of a destination.

We are attractive to the right people, and that subset is G5 HCs and the occasional P5 coordinator.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Mainly because we've convinced ourselves that a hot G% coach is our best chance. When we hired Bobby Ross, we stole him from fellow ACC school Maryland after he won 3 ACC championships with them. That's how far we've fallen. We sure can't convince a coach like Clawson to leave Wake, much less ACC coaches who have won conference championships, yet in our minds, we still think we are that good of a destination.

We are attractive to the right people, and that subset is G5 HCs and the occasional P5 coordinator.
We're attractive to enough people for us to find a good coach, and that's all that matters. We only need one.