HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

Vespid

Jolly Good Fellow
Sure, for a person with a $40k annual salary a multi-million dollar annual salary will trump most other considerations. When you only include people who are qualified(at least on paper) for such a position, it isn't as cut and dry. With respect to a P5 HC, such people already have comfortable salaries. Such people are alpha personalities. Such people are concerned about such things as putting their impression on things and developing a legacy. If an athletic program can't provide the resources that such a coach wants, or wants to dictate staff and/or methods, then such a person is likely to pass for another opportunity.

It is kind of like telling an F1 driver that your Hellcat is the most powerful car ever developed. To people who drive Honda Civics, sure they will believe you. An F1 driver?
Yes, agreed. Not the point I was making. Just tired of "tech fans" acting like we're trying to convince someone to come live in a lepper colony, There's 69 P5 HFBC coaching jobs that exist in the entire world, we have one of those. It is an attractive job for the right candidate.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
There's some rumblings on the Tulane board that the guy Tech is interviewing today is Troy's HC Jon Sumrall. Definitely take it with a grain of salt but....Apparently Batt gave Fritz an ultimatum about getting his butt over here or getting stuff going in the portal and he backed out.
Huh? Sumrall? Might as well hire Les Miles. I do agree re the ultimatum.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
If the buyout for Fritz is 8 million, then I don't see how he would be an option for us considering our lack of funds. I am just speculating like everyone else.

So is that his wants to call his own plays or wants to bring his entire staff that gets leaked right when the interest is ramping up?

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
There's some rumblings on the Tulane board that the guy Tech is interviewing today is Troy's HC Jon Sumrall. Definitely take it with a grain of salt but....Apparently Batt gave Fritz an ultimatum about getting his butt over here or getting stuff going in the portal and he backed out.
I doubt it. Batt is smart enough to know that it’s better to get the right guy in a week than the wrong guy today. He came from a program that was always in conference championship games and the playoffs, so he would understand the importance of not leaving the team before a conference championship. An ultimatum like that sounds like the action of a hotheaded, impatient person, but Batt strikes me as more of a calm, calculating individual.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Yes, agreed. Not the point I was making. Just tired of "tech fans" acting like we're trying to convince someone to come live in a lepper colony, There's 69 P5 HFBC coaching jobs that exist in the entire world, we have one of those. It is an attractive job for the right candidate.
A leper colony is an attractive job for a doctor who has leprosy.

Anyone looking for a job needs to evaluate ... the facilities, the talent, recruiting strength, resources (fanbase, money, institutional support, etc). If you are in the Sun Belt, Tech is a great opportunity. If you are an SEC HC, not so much.

I recall Saban was being considered for a HC role a while back and he visited the campus and athletic facilities. (This is before he became SABAN.) When asked what he thought, he simply said, "I'm not coming here."

My point is Tech is not getting Deion, Urban Meyer, Bill Belichick, Dabo Swinney, or any of the half dozen splash hires tossed around. We are going to get either an up and comer or ... someone experienced and close to retirement. I imagine Fritz would love the job.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
I doubt he gave him an 'ultimatum'. More likely (if it has any truth at all) he said "When could you start?" and Fritz said "Sunday morning." And JBatt said "We can't wait that long. We'd love to have you and I understand your reasoning, but we need to get things going here sooner than that. Thanks for interviews and good luck on Saturday."

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
He wouldnt be a position coach at best in the NFL. He would likely have multiple OC options in the NFL with an outside chance at a HC position. You guys really undervalue O'Brien for some reason.
I guess it’s because he’s so poorly thought of at Bama, has he been told to move on or be fired? I know that he’s a very good OC, just didn’t realize he could get basically a promotion after basically getting run out of town at Bama. No doubt Belichick is smarter than Bama nation lol

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

The problem is, it's not an attractive job for the coaches we really want anymore. Until we build the program back up, we are going to struggle to chase the hotter coaches in any given cycle.

MonroeJacket

GT Athlete
I was just about to say the same thing. Key could be the next great coach, but chances are very low. Players like him? Sure, they like anyone with a heartbeat that isn't Geoff Collins.

Key just feels like a .500 level coach and I am wanting so much more than .500 records and possible bowl games against a team no one has heard of being played in Prudhoe Bay or Vladivostok (I kid on locations, but very close to it).
They liked him too until they didn’t.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
Funny how toxicity of some of our donors is starting to become noticeable elsewhere. Our donors trying to give Auburn's donors a run for their money!
I view it less as toxic and more each camp fighting for the outcomes they want. I believe it'll all work out. Kumbaya, Hakuna Matata, etc....