HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

Techster

Helluva Engineer
IMHO, ADJB knew who the coach would be before this game. I do think that could bode well for Key. At this point, give me Chadwell or Key and I’m good. All this BOB talk has me nervous.

You don't like teams that don't hurt themselves, has high level QB play, good special teams, and competent OLs and DLs? Sign me up for that all day long because that's O'Brien's teams.

The Doddfather

Jolly Good Fellow
You just don’t see the progress of the team I guess. I wouldn’t mind JC either but CBK lives and breathes Tech football. He was also a student here. He gets it. Once he gets the coaching staff around him I think he will be an amazing coach. Just my opinion
Arite, I’ll just throw this in the agree to disagree category. Although, I’d like to ask, what kind of staff do you think key will build? Breathing tech football is great, but should either of us be qualified for the job?

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck
Arite, I’ll just throw this in the agree to disagree category. Although, I’d like to ask, what kind of staff do you think key will build? Breathing tech football is great, but should either of us be qualified for the job?
dont forget he got his team so ready after 10 days to prepare for uVA. also, you ust dont want to see the progress. yes, they are playing better but it was such a low bar to start with

Josh H

Jolly Good Fellow
So here's your choice:

Key got Tech to the cusp of a bowl. Yes, the Virginia game was a massive letdown. I was there. Thanks for the reminder.

We just watched the #2 QB for a the #1 team in the nation miss an easy throw and fumble the ball. Getting down to your 3rd and 4th QB is *not* easy. Starting a true freshman is *not* easy.

Do we blow up this progress to hire Chadwell, who could be a slam dunk hire, but could also run half our young team off and, by the way, could potentially not make the transition to the ACC? I don't think Tech can survive another coaching hire mistake.

I tend to be a low risk kind of guy. Key is the low risk hire. Don't get me wrong, I'll still be ecstatic if Tech hires Chadwell. But it is the high risk/high reward move.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
So here's your choice:

Key got Tech to the cusp of a bowl. Yes, the Virginia game was a massive letdown. I was there. Thanks for the reminder.

We just watched the #2 QB for a the #1 team in the nation miss an easy throw and fumble the ball. Getting down to your 3rd and 4th QB is *not* easy. Starting a true freshman is *not* easy.

Do we blow up this progress to hire Chadwell, who could be a slam dunk hire, but could also run half our young team off and, by the way, could potentially not make the transition to the ACC? I don't think Tech can survive another coaching hire mistake.

I tend to be a low risk kind of guy. Key is the low risk hire. Don't get me wrong, I'll still be ecstatic if Tech hires Chadwell. But it is the high risk/high reward move.
How is Key the low risk hire? He has next to zero HC experience, is heavily tied to the previous coach, and the unit he was responsible for has been arguably the worst part of the whole team for 4 seasons under his watch.

I like the guy, I'm good with him as the next HC provided we can work out a favorable contract to start off with, but I just don't see how you think he is low risk.