HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Nonetheless, Key has stamped himself firmly in the mix for the full-time post, he has the unyielding support of beloved former Tech head coach George O’Leary, multiple sources tell FootballScoop, and Key met this week directly with Batt for his formal interview for the position, per sources briefed on the process.
My question to you based on your post is…how much pull does O’Leary have with those who will make this decision? I’m not sure it’s as great as it might have been in the past.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, I think Chadwell is the first choice. Key is second. Hiring anyone else will have people questioning the call.

Further, I think if Chadwell had already turned us down, he would have said something to reassure Chanticleer Township of his commitment to them.
There may be more than Tech looking at Chadwell. I’m not sure I’m his position I’d be saying anything.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
I don’t know if he has even talked with Tech. He has been linked with VT, Tennessee, South Carolina, Auburn and Nebraska. Nebraska is the most likely spot for him.

But he HAS interviewed for P5 jobs but not gotten an offer. That’s a red flag. He has spoken of internal demons when the team hasn’t done well and may not want to experience that again … I mean, he’s loved at CC which is a beautiful campus, has money and backing, a great life … I don’t see him risking all of that at Tech. VT would have been a better fit, but his mentor is Moglia, who is recommending him for Nebraska.

Study these two photos carefully:

1669306205552.png

Conway/Myrtle Beach

1669306311402.png

Lincoln, NE

Other than the weather, how did you like Lincoln, Mrs. Chadwell?

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Study these two photos carefully:

View attachment 13594

Conway/Myrtle Beach

View attachment 13595
Lincoln, NE

Other than the weather, how did you like Lincoln, Mrs. Chadwell?
It all depends on how badly he wants a P5 job. His mentor works with Nebraska so it seems to make sense. I almost worked at Coastal. Beautiful campus and community. I’m not sure I’d leave. I do not think he would enjoy living in any big city given his past and what he has now.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
It all depends on how badly he wants a P5 job. His mentor works with Nebraska so it seems to make sense. I almost worked at Coastal. Beautiful campus and community. I’m not sure I’d leave. I do not think he would enjoy living in any big city given his past and what he has now.
Good points. And if he really wants a P5 job...and we offer...

:)

I'll say this...Some folks here have deep reservations about Chadwell because of his lack of P5 experience. If that's true of OUR fanbase, imagine what the other nations would say if Chadwell were hired. Auburn? lol

So, Tech is probably the bottom rung of the P5 conferences, and it's not a stretch to say that we could take a chance and win big. I'm not sure Nebraska or any SEC school would roll those dice. This may be our lucky break.

Last edited:

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I don’t know if he has even talked with Tech. He has been linked with VT, Tennessee, South Carolina, Auburn and Nebraska. Nebraska is the most likely spot for him.

But he HAS interviewed for P5 jobs but not gotten an offer. That’s a red flag. He has spoken of internal demons when the team hasn’t done well and may not want to experience that again … I mean, he’s loved at CC which is a beautiful campus, has money and backing, a great life … I don’t see him risking all of that at Tech. VT would have been a better fit, but his mentor is Moglia, who is recommending him for Nebraska.
Would that not be a kick on the pants, Chadwell turns GT down as too much of a risk, lol.

BuzzDraft

Jolly Good Fellow
Supposedly O’leary was a big advocate of the Collins hire so yeah i’m not really sure his opinion means much at this point
Yeah, this "beloved O'Leary" stuff needs to be revisited.

I think the GTAA needs to comb the remaining OLeary minions out of its beard. Yes, he was head coach during a great 3 year stretch of Georgia Tech success, and deserves credit for that. But let's not forget he didn't accomplish a lot before Friedgen came in to take over the offensive half of the team. His defenses were awful, so Friedgen's offenses had to basically outscore the points the defense gave up. Then his team regressed after Ralph left as favorite to win the ACC and considered a national championship contender in 2001. OLeary's minions include O'Brien and Roof, who both did really poor jobs as coordinators while here, Godsey is another one, but he intends to stay in the pros fortunately. Great player, but ordinary as a college assistant. Stansbury was OLeary's hand picked AD at UCF, and when Paul Johnson "retired" Stansbury didn't appear to have a plan and relied on his old pals instead of executing a legitimate coaching search. OLeary got in Stansbury's ear and pushed for Collins. Now he's pushing for another minion, Key, who is on a hot streak but just months ago was taking heat with Patenaud and Thacker; Key for being responsible for the OL, the worst position group on the team.

Cabrera and the BoT didn't clean house at GTAA just to stick with the status quo and continue into the future with most of the remnants of the former disastrous regime. I trust they cast a wide net for great candidates in this coaching search, no matter where they went to school or come from, who the fans and players want, or who their connected pals are. . We can, and must, do better.

Last edited:

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, this "beloved O'Leary" stuff needs to be reviewed.

I think the GTAA needs to comb the remaining OLeary minions out of its beard. Yes, he was head coach during a great 3 year stretch of Georgia Tech success, and deserves credit for that. But let's not forget he didn't accomplish a lot before Friedgen came in to take over the offensive half of the team. His defenses were awful, so Friedgen's offenses had to basically outscore the points the defense gave up. Then his team regressed after Ralph left as favorite to win the ACC and considered a national championship contender in 2001. OLeary's minions include O'Brien and Roof, who both did really poor jobs as coordinators while here, Godsey is another one, but he intends to stay in the pros fortunately. Great player, but ordinary as a coach. Stansbury was his hand picked AD at UCF, and when Paul Johnson "retired" Stansbury didn't appear to have a plan and relied on his old pals instead of a legitimate coaching search. OLeary got in Stansbury's ear and pushed for Collins. Now he's pushing for another minion, Key, who is on a hot streak but just months ago was taking heat for being responsible for the OL, the worst position group on the team.

Cabrera and the BoT didn't clean house at GTAA just to stick with the status quo and continue into the future with most of the remnants of the former disastrous regime. I trust they cast a wide net for great candidates in this coaching search, no matter where they went to school or come from, who the fans and players want, or who their connected pals are. . We can, and must, do better.
Why do Tech fans always feel the need to cut down our former coaches? Yes, the Fridge was a great coach. Our team was also pretty damn good in 2001. We lost three games by around eight points, two in OT and the third on a hook and lateral trick play. Who knows how the team woukd have done if 9/11 does not happen. Who knows how we would have done in 2002 with Big Bee as head coach. O'Leary was a very good coach. No need to add caveats.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Unfortunately, unlike Batt's last employer, Tech doesn't have a wide roster of big donors, SEC media money and a sold out 100,000+ seat stadium.

Tech has a small handful of big donors. If it weren't for them opening the checkbook, Stansbury and Collins would still be here. Cabrera is legally handcuffed on how much he can do. A 2.5 million match from the GT Fund isn't going to move the needle.

You can't tell those few donors to pound sand and then ask them to write a check to afford your choice of HC...

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Supposedly O’leary was a big advocate of the Collins hire so yeah i’m not really sure his opinion means much at this point

The old boys club at GT LOVE O'Leary. Remember them bringing O'Leary back for his day in the sun shortly after Collins was hired? They are the ones pushing hard for Key right now.

From what I understand, all the supposed "drama" going on right now has a lot to do with them. There is no drama...Batt is conducting a coaching search, and he's keeping things on a need to know basis. The old boys club think they need to know, and they want more influence in the process. It appears they are not getting it, so certain parties are making a stink. Hopefully certain people don't F this up for GT.

It's all really silly. Let Batt do his job.

BuzzDraft

Jolly Good Fellow
Why do Tech fans always feel the need to cut down our former coaches? Yes, the Fridge was a great coach. Our team was also pretty damn good in 2001. We lost three games by around eight points, two in OT and the third on a hook and lateral trick play. Who knows how the team woukd have done if 9/11 does not happen. Who knows how we would have done in 2002 with Big Bee as head coach. O'Leary was a very good coach. No need to add caveats.
Very good coach.
Very bad advice.

Decisions based on emotional connections don't often turn out well. I hope Batt keeps it objective, thorough, and professional, and he signs HIS top choice and ignores all the external noise.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, I think Chadwell is the first choice. Key is second. Hiring anyone else will have people questioning the call.

Further, I think if Chadwell had already turned us down, he would have said something to reassure Chanticleer Township of his commitment to them.
Sometimes, I feel sorry (I know its a rough business) for schools like Coastal. They get a great coach, innovative, with a fun offense that has fans excited and then deep pockets come along and the coach is gone with the program back to square one. I can understand the frustration of a program like that. It is like the college football version of Sisyphus rolling that damn big rock up the hill and have it roll back down no matter what you do.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
Sometimes, I feel sorry (I know its a rough business) for schools like Coastal. They get a great coach, innovative, with a fun offense that has fans excited and then deep pockets come along and the coach is gone with the program back to square one. I can understand the frustration of a program like that. It is like the college football version of Sisyphus rolling that damn big rock up the hill and have it roll back down no matter what you do.
Then Notre Dame comes along and hires GOL. Sort of. Unless you're one of the Big Dogs or you have a coach who is uber loyal for personal reasons, IIWII.

Assume that either Chadwell or Key can become wildly successful at Tech. IMO, Chadwell stays 4-5 years tops whereas Key would coach us until retirement.

I've never spoken to either coach, so this is just a guess.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Good points. And if he really wants a P5 job...and we offer...

:)

I'll say this...Some folks here have deep reservations about Chadwell because of his lack of P5 experience. If that's true of OUR fanbase, imagine what the other nations would say if Chadwell were hired. Auburn? lol

So, Tech is probably the bottom rung of the P5 conferences, and it's not a stretch to say that we could take a chance and win big. I'm not sure Nebraska or any SEC school would roll those dice. This may be our lucky break.
I don't know what dice Nebraska has been rolling for the better part of nearly two decades but they need to get some new ones.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

I'd rather have B*** L**** or CGC coaching our team than ever let G***** O'***** back on our sidelines.

He was a good game day coach but a terrible human being. That last part still matters to me.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Very good coach.
Very bad advice.

Decisions based on emotional connections don't often turn out well. I hope Batt keeps it objective, thorough, and professional, and he signs HIS top choice and ignores all the external noise.
I think, and this is probably an unpopular opinion, that the boosters need to stay out of this. They had their turn and it did not work out. So, just stand aside and let Mr. Batt do his job and then next year or the year after begin with the regularly scheduled program of bitching and complaining.