HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck
Past won't matter if he can turn around an FBS school. It's possible he learned lessons from his failures?
Not only that. There so much other stuff that would keep an eye on the situation at the school he wouldn’t get into much trouble if any. I mean Jackson state hadn’t burst into flames and shut its doors. Running a “high scool” and coaching at a college isn’t the same thing.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Nonetheless, Key has stamped himself firmly in the mix for the full-time post, he has the unyielding support of beloved former Tech head coach George O’Leary, multiple sources tell FootballScoop, and Key met this week directly with Batt for his formal interview for the position, per sources briefed on the process.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
Nonetheless, Key has stamped himself firmly in the mix for the full-time post, he has the unyielding support of beloved former Tech head coach George O’Leary, multiple sources tell FootballScoop, and Key met this week directly with Batt for his formal interview for the position, per sources briefed on the process.
Really interesting to see Fritz's name pop up in that article. I had no idea he was seriously on the consideration list. I wonder if the 'scoop' here is just random speculation after reading fan boards?

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
I actually think this has become an easy decision for J:

- hire Jamey if you can get him and his staff at a price we are willing to pay
- if not, we give Coach Key the nod with a low risk contract.

I wouldn’t go too much further down the list.

Key might not be your top candidate but he is a better option than nearly all the other alternatives.

This makes the decision easier for J and also more likely he makes the right choice for Tech.

/

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
I actually think this has become an easy decision for J:

- hire Jamey if you can get him and his staff at a price we are willing to pay
- if not, we give Coach Key the nod with a low risk contract.

I wouldn’t go too much further down the list.

Key might not be your top candidate but he is a better option than nearly all the other alternatives.

This makes the decision easier for J and also more likely he makes the right choice for Tech.

/
Yeah, I think Chadwell is the first choice. Key is second. Hiring anyone else will have people questioning the call.

Further, I think if Chadwell had already turned us down, he would have said something to reassure Chanticleer Township of his commitment to them.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Let's say JBatt hires Chadwell, and he bombs. Everyone will say, "J did the best he could; Tech is the problem."

But if JBatt hires Deion and he bombs, It's TStan 2.0. Everyone will question his judgment, and he may never get another AD job again.

Especially when he had two more obvious candidates to consider.
TStan did the best he could as well. You have to remember that no non-option coaches wanted the GT job after Paul Johnson. You were all but guaranteed to come in and have a bunch of 3-9 seasons, which is what happened. There was an off chance whoever was hired pulled off the transition and became a folk hero.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
TStan did the best he could as well. You have to remember that no non-option coaches wanted the GT job after Paul Johnson. You were all but guaranteed to come in and have a bunch of 3-9 seasons, which is what happened. There was an off chance whoever was hired pulled off the transition and became a folk hero.
I almost did not bother responding to this, but TStan made his bed with his "I've got my coach" defense of Collins at the end of last season, when it was SO obvious that Collins was a dud.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Past won't matter if he can turn around an FBS school. It's possible he learned lessons from his failures?
“The school was accused of racism and influence peddling. In December 2013, Sanders pressured cofounder D.L. Wallace, a local minister, out of the leadership of the schools over accusations of fraud and assault. Shortly afterwards Sanders was fired from his head coach position,[ sparking an attempt by the school board to oust the superintendent who had fired Sanders.

The school then received further negative press for violations of the state's board meeting laws, theft, eviction, and staff members failing to follow established policies. The school was featured in local news coverage again in 2014 for failing to hold open meetings and ranked as the lowest performing elementary school in North Texas as judged by Children at Risk. In July 2014, it was announced that the Texas Education Agency was going to revoke the school's charter for inconsistencies with the National School Lunch Program and fiscal mismanagement to which the school responded that they were going to appeal the decision. In October 2014, the school stopped forwarding paycheck withholdings to the IRS, which had been averaging $25,000 to $28,000 per month. The IRS would later file a tax lien of $56,625.”

Too risky. No one at P5 is goiing to touch Deion.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Sorry. TStan knew for a year that Paul would retire. While it happened sooner than expected, TStan was wholly unprepared. No slate, no search, no candidates. He had 3, went after a total of one, who said no. It was Collins by default.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Really interesting to see Fritz's name pop up in that article. I had no idea he was seriously on the consideration list. I wonder if the 'scoop' here is just random speculation after reading fan boards?
Never mind. I saw "Fritz" and thought "Freeze". I'm getting old. Maybe Fritz is being considered. Who knows? There's never any attribution to these articles.

Last edited:

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
I almost did not bother responding to this, but TStan made his bed with his "I've got my coach" defense of Collins at the end of last season, when it was SO obvious that Collins was a dud.
No argument against that. I liked TStan and think he did a good job. I just think we all had high expectations for CPJ’s follow up. You pretty much had to concede the first 2 seasons would be awful, maybe even the 3rd. You just hoped we could go bowling in the 4th but it was clear by the Ole Miss/UCF games that wasn’t going to happen under CGC and it was time to part ways.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
No argument against that. I liked TStan and think he did a good job. I just think we all had high expectations for CPJ’s follow up. You pretty much had to concede the first 2 seasons would be awful, maybe even the 3rd. You just hoped we could go bowling in the 4th but it was clear by the Ole Miss/UCF games that wasn’t going to happen under CGC and it was time to part ways.
It was clear looong before that.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Further, I think if Chadwell had already turned us down, he would have said something to reassure Chanticleer Township of his commitment to them.
I don’t know if he has even talked with Tech. He has been linked with VT, Tennessee, South Carolina, Auburn and Nebraska. Nebraska is the most likely spot for him.

But he HAS interviewed for P5 jobs but not gotten an offer. That’s a red flag. He has spoken of internal demons when the team hasn’t done well and may not want to experience that again … I mean, he’s loved at CC which is a beautiful campus, has money and backing, a great life … I don’t see him risking all of that at Tech. VT would have been a better fit, but his mentor is Moglia, who is recommending him for Nebraska.