HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
So, Collins let him sign six recruits as well as another three upperclassmen lineman through the portal, but since they were not all Freshman who would all need to be developed before they were ready to play, Collins is to blame for the mess on the OL? Um, OK. Please explain how we were supposed to manage 8-12 Freshman OL on the roster at the same time? Regardless, if this true, then I am glad Collins said no. It makes no sense to sign 8-12 Freshman OL to one class. They need to be spread out.
I’m just going based off what I was told during the summer when I met up with my buddy who donates to the school and has a say in things at tech.

JacketFan137

Banned
The overall point doesn't stand. CPJ teams often played much harder schedules than what we've played the last 4 years. What you said was false.

I get that you take every chance to make CPJ look worse to other fonts here, but when the facts don't line up, they don't line up.
brother you saw the other comment. averages it was like 46for collins/key and 40 for johnson. i was wrong but you are splitting hairs

and the overall point is true regardless of whether or not you want to deny it. chadwell and key are not as good as johnson. i don’t expect either to come in here and do what he did.

that means 8 wins is probably a fantasy here for either of these two coaches unless something drastic changes

I get that you take every chance to make CPJ look better to other fonts here, but when the facts don't line up, they don't line up.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Completely untrue lmao

Check the facts. He did. 4 of CPJs 11 seasons, including both 11 win seasons, we had top 30 SoS. We haven't cracked that once in the last 4 years.

Not true.

YearSoS Rank

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
I’m just going based off what I was told during the summer when I met up with my buddy who donates to the school and has a say in things at tech.
Can we agree that there is a lot that neither of us (nor the rest of the board) really know about the what actually happened with regards to OL recruiting? In fact, only Collins and Key know the whole truth, they most likely have different versions, and neither is going to talk. I am willing to give Collins his share of the blame because he was head coach and he sucked at a lot of things. But I see no evidence that warrants blaming Collins for everything wrong with the offensive line. It is not as if they are playing much better like the defense has been playing since he left.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
i was incorrect but let’s not pretend like it’s that different. two of our biggest rivals are better now than i believe they were under most of johnson’s tenure.

regardless my overall point stands here. paul johnson is allegedly the best coach ever and he couldn’t average more than 7 wins with the greatest scheme on the flats. why does anyone think these other coaches that are not as good as johnson are gonna do better?

forgot i was talking to you or id make sure i was well researched since you split the smallest hairs ever every single time you reply to any user on here

FWIW, Key is my preference right now, not Chadwell. I definitely don't want a CPJ disciple here either. If Chadwell's the hire I won't be upset, but Key is currently my 1st choice.

JacketFan137

Banned
Can we agree that there is a lot that neither of us (nor the rest of the board) really know about the what actually happened with regards to OL recruiting? In fact, only Collins and Key know the whole truth, they most likely have different versions, and neither is going to talk. I am willing to give Collins his share of the blame because he was head coach and he sucked at a lot of things. But I see no evidence that warrants blaming Collins for everything wrong with the offensive line. It is not as if they are playing much better like the defense has been playing since he left.
some people seem like they want to blame only collins and some people seem to want to blame only key. reality is probably in the middle.

i have a hard time agreeing any argument that seeks to absolve key of ALL blame when he is at the end of the day the OL coach. if that is your title i don’t think you can act shocked people blame him at some level

Blue&Gold1034

Jolly Good Fellow
Wait.

We were losing to UVA before Sims got knocked out of the game. In fact, Sims was not moving the ball (81 totals yards in five drives with four punts and an INT) and scored no points prior to his departure. Our backup in that game was the same guy who just beat UNC, but also decided to walk out of bounds to end the game. We knew Sims was injured, but Gibson was not ready to effectively run the offense despite being the backup all spring and football season.

As for Miami, again, we behind when ZP was injured and left the game. Again, we struggled to move the ball and score points with our starter. The backup, again, was the same guy who just beat UNC, but also decided to walk out of bounds to end the game against UVA. Again, we knew ZP was injured, but Gibson was not ready to effectively run the offense despite previously starting and being the backup all spring and football season.

I do not see why Key gets credit for UNC but no blame for his loss to UVA when he had ten days to prepare for one of the worst P5 teams and then lost. Further, he gets no blame for losing another game to a really bad Miami team. If you want to say the injuries are a driver, then fine. But it is on Key to make sure the backup is ready. Especially when it is known that the starter is hurt and may not be able to play, as was the case against both UVA and Miami. That does not even take into account the abysmal OL play for which Key is solely responsible that led to all these injuries and poor play by the QB.
Both games were still well in reach with the starters in the game. There was a whole half left before Sims got injured and there was a quarter left when Pyron went out. As you saw with the UNC game, the team very well could have came back and won both games with the starting QB in. For the Miami game if you can show me where it said Pyron was injured before the game then I may agree with you, but no where did I see that he wasn't 100 percent going into it.

Most teams in college football struggle to win a game when their starter at QB goes down before the game and it's even tougher to during. We saw what happened to Texas and Pitt when their starters went down in close games. You can say its on the coach to have a player ready, but most back up QBs in college won't be able to win a game if they are put in on the spot, unless they have great talent around them. Does Tech have that kind of talent?

Coaches deserve blame for loses, but people can also understand that certain circumstances make it harder to win games. Losing your starting quarterback is one of them. For a play caller it alters your game plan and for a team, seeing your starting QB (and arguably best player on offense) go down can be demoralizing.

Last edited:

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
In the FWIW Dept:

I just spent an hour or so in the Chanticleer forum. They have a thread entitled "Keeping Chadwell" which has been active since October 2020. They know they have a hot commodity in JC.

Some posts argue that Tech's academics make it a tough job and that Chadwell wouldn't take it because it could potentially derail his career if he can't overcome the adversity. Others seem to think that the increase in salary alone would make it worth the risk. It's retirement money no matter what happens, right?

But the key point is that they don't seem to have any more info on what is really happening than we do. We're ALL clueless. 🤔

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
They always say you should learn something each day, today I’ve learned that 247 sports doesn’t know anything.