HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
3 WR (not counting DT because he was a chan recruit) over 11 years is not exactly something to write home about for anyone else in power 5

if we want to be technical justin thomas and graham were the only 4* qbs and one of them was moved positions immediately upon transferring

Yates was a 4* QB per Rivals and was a Johnson commit as well.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
And a modicum of a defense would have helped our win/ loss record.
You're right. I should have remembered that.

It always seemed to me that we could hold the ball forever, but then our defense would give up the quick score. D backs playing 20 yards off the receivers, etc. Bend but don't break. Don't give up the home run pass. Okay, so five passes underneath instead. It was death by a thousand cuts. :mad:

slugboy

Staff member
I came here for an argument, not abuse!

(Wrong gif—darn giphy)

Plead Monty Python GIF

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Key has obviously done a hell of a job in tough situation and merits an interview.

At such an interview we should learn his long-term/vision is for the program. How will he execute it? What is his plan for recruiting? For NIL and the portal? How does he intend to go about putting together a staff? Is he personally a good enough recruiter/closer as a HC? How will he handle administrative duties and other HC roles? How do his background and accomplishments to date prepare him uniquely for his plan, the school, etc.

If he is more impressive in what he has done and how he plans to do things and he is the best fit for the school then hire him. Otherwise hire whoever appears to be the best overall fit/has the chops/has a great plan, etc.

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
So, I revert back to my last question. How many recruits did Key want to sign his first year? Eight? Ten? Twelve? Who exactly did Collins prevent him from signing when he signed six lineman?
My understanding is he wanted to sign anywhere in between 8-12 OL’s and process the Johnson linemen out of the roster. Key knew the other position groups other then QB and OL had enough depth and talent and didn’t need to be recruited heavily early on, and they could afford to sign more then the normal amount of OL.

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
I waver back and forth but then I ask this, if Collins had gone .500 this year, would he have kept his job? I think the answer is yes, so if Key can go .500 under worse conditions I am inclined to keep him for continuity reasons. We could have a new coach having to rebuiild a roster with about 15 incoming recruits and massive transfers outs. I just don't see this program surviving another 3 seasons of losing football. I think Key can use the continuity to get us to an 8 -9 win program. Nothing against Chadwell, but Key is my choice

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
My understanding is he wanted to sign anywhere in between 8-12 OL’s and process the Johnson linemen out of the roster. Key knew the other position groups other then QB and OL had enough depth and talent and didn’t need to be recruited heavily early on, and they could afford to sign more then the normal amount of OL.
So, Collins let him sign six recruits as well as another three upperclassmen lineman through the portal, but since they were not all Freshman who would all need to be developed before they were ready to play, Collins is to blame for the mess on the OL? Um, OK. Please explain how we were supposed to manage 8-12 Freshman OL on the roster at the same time? Regardless, if this true, then I am glad Collins said no. It makes no sense to sign 8-12 Freshman OL to one class. They need to be spread out.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

So Key wanted to revoke scholarships and then bring in an unreasonable amount of OL recruits? Also how in the world was their enough depth and talent at other positions. Our best WR in 2019 was a true freshman. We had no TE talent, and lord knows the issues we had on defense.

Basically, we had running backs.

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
So, Collins let him sign six recruits as well as another three upperclassmen lineman through the portal, but since they were not all Freshman who would all need to be developed before they were ready to play, Collins is to blame for the mess on the OL? Um, OK. Please explain how we were supposed to manage 8-12 Freshman OL on the roster at the same time? Regardless, if this true, then I am glad Collins said no. It makes no sense to sign 8-12 Freshman OL to one class. They need to be spread out.
Agree, but the first year after the TO we needed to sign nothing but lineman, just hoping some would pan out. Collins looked for "measurables" showing he knew @#$% about lineman.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I waver back and forth but then I ask this, if Collins had gone .500 this year, would he have kept his job? I think the answer is yes, so if Key can go .500 under worse conditions I am inclined to keep him for continuity reasons. We could have a new coach having to rebuiild a roster with about 15 incoming recruits and massive transfers outs. I just don't see this program surviving another 3 seasons of losing football. I think Key can use the continuity to get us to an 8 -9 win program. Nothing against Chadwell, but Key is my choice
Good point. This ship is being turned around right now, and we need to keep the captain at the helm.

Techfan02

Ramblin' Wreck
I look at it the players want him so if you don't want to have another "rebuild" cycle keep key have continuity get some good assistants and it'll work out

JacketFan137

Banned
Anecdotal evidence often fails when compared to facts.

Nice movement of the goalposts though.
i was incorrect but let’s not pretend like it’s that different. two of our biggest rivals are better now than i believe they were under most of johnson’s tenure.

regardless my overall point stands here. paul johnson is allegedly the best coach ever and he couldn’t average more than 7 wins with the greatest scheme on the flats. why does anyone think these other coaches that are not as good as johnson are gonna do better?

forgot i was talking to you or id make sure i was well researched since you split the smallest hairs ever every single time you reply to any user on here

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
i was incorrect but let’s not pretend like it’s that different. two of our biggest rivals are better now than i believe they were under most of johnson’s tenure.

regardless my overall point stands here. paul johnson is allegedly the best coach ever and he couldn’t average more than 7 wins with the greatest scheme on the flats. why does anyone think these other coaches that are not as good as johnson are gonna do better?

forgot i was talking to you or id make sure i was well researched since you split the smallest hairs ever every single time you reply to any user on here

The overall point doesn't stand. CPJ teams often played much harder schedules than what we've played the last 4 years. What you said was false.

I get that you take every chance to make CPJ look worse to other fonts here, but when the facts don't line up, they don't line up.

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
So Key wanted to revoke scholarships and then bring in an unreasonable amount of OL recruits? Also how in the world was their enough depth and talent at other positions. Our best WR in 2019 was a true freshman. We had no TE talent, and lord knows the issues we had on defense.

Basically, we had running backs.
Not revoke scholarships. Every school processes guys out.