HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Just my opinion but I really really believe Brent Key can fix the program. I believe he would do absolutely anything to win at Tech. You’re already seeing that. This isn’t just a “Tech Man” hire if he was to be the hire, he’s a different type of Tech man unlike our previous Tech man hires.
This I completely agree with. I certainly can see there will be some on the job learning, but the upside potential here is tremendous.

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
The upside of Key is tremendous. I know he’s very very close to Saban and their friends outside of football. Key and Saban have talked a lot since Key became the IHC. He has so many people from past jobs that he can lean on for recommendations.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Some people don’t want Key and some do. I think one way to grade Key fairly is to grade the games he head coached. Then, you can average the grades

Pitt 26-21 W. I give this an A
Duke 24-20 W. I give this a B. (Punting was awful and let Duke back in the game)
UVA 9-16 L. This was at best a D.
FSU 41-16 L. We weren’t ready. This is a D
VT 28-27 W. Showed a lot of heart. I give this a B
Miami 14-35 L. We looked horrible, C-
UNC 21-17 W. I give this an A

It’s hard to be an interim coach. In our bad losses, we looked bad. In our good wins, we looked good.

Overall, is this a B or a C?
Using your method, here are my game grades...

Pitt 26-21 W. I give this an A+
Duke 24-20 W. I give this a C+ (We won but it was ugly and should not have gone to OT)
UVA 9-16 L. This was a F (The ten days to prepare brings down this grade even more)
FSU 41-16 L. This is a D (We had nine days to prepare for this one, but still were not ready)
VPISU 28-27 W. I give this a C- (The only reason it is barely passing is because we won, but beating VPISU by one was not close to playing well)
Miami 14-35 L. I give this a D (Again, team was not prepared, played poorly, and never adjusted.)
UNC 21-17 W. I give this an A+

Average grade is C to C+

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Just my opinion but I really really believe Brent Key can fix the program. I believe he would do absolutely anything to win at Tech. You’re already seeing that. This isn’t just a “Tech Man” hire if he was to be the hire, he’s a different type of Tech man unlike our previous Tech man hires.

I think Brent Key would be a good coach for GT. I've said repeatedly that if Key can win under the current circumstances, imagine what he can do once the program is totally his. At minimum he's Chan Gailey, but his ceiling will depend on who he brings in to be on his staff. IMO, GT is a place that needs an innovative offensive mind. That's when we've always been our best (Ross/Friedgen, O'Leary/Friedgen, CPJ).

Now the question is, what's his upside versus the candidates that will say "yes" to the job? I think Key would be a GREAT CEO type coach, but does he have the ability to bring in an innovative mind like Ross/O'Leary had with Friedgen? A guy like Chadwell or Garrett Riley (just using as an example) ARE the innovative minds and that does not change regardless of whoever comes and goes at OC. That's the $$$$ question with Key.

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
I think Brent Key would be a good coach for GT. I've said repeatedly that if Key can win under the current circumstances, imagine what he can do once the program is totally his. At minimum he's Chan Gailey, but his ceiling will depend on who he brings in to be on his staff. IMO, GT is a place that needs an innovative offensive mind. That's when we've always been our best (Ross/Friedgen, O'Leary/Friedgen, CPJ).

Now the question is, what's his upside versus the candidates that will say "yes" to the job? I think Key would be a GREAT CEO type coach, but does he have the ability to bring in an innovative mind like Ross/O'Leary had with Friedgen? A guy like Chadwell or Garrett Riley (just using as an example) ARE the innovative minds and that does not change regardless of whoever comes and goes at OC. That's the $$$$ question with Key.
Yeah that’s the big question. I have confidence that that he could hire a young innovative offensive mind like a Zach Kittley or Garret Riley (just using them as examples since they wouldn’t leave their current schools for tech). I mean he’s got ties to the Bama coaching tree and his time at UCF. I have a good level of confidence in it since he was really close to pulling in Jeremy Pruitt during the middle of the season and Pruitt is a type of coordinator that you would die to have on your staff.

Gtech24

Jolly Good Fellow
It’s going to be Chadwell. UNC gives us a glimmer of hope for Key but we are about to get beat down this weekend unfortunately.

We only scored 21 points against UNCs awful defense (2nd lowest all season). The UGA offense is going to score on us easily and we might not score a single point. I’m projecting a 45-3 type game. I obviously hope I’m wrong but it’s reality. The Key high will be gone and we will all rally behind Chadwell (at least I hope).

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Chadwell will make everyone forget about other possible coaches when he comes in here and starts winning 8-10 games a season very soon. Gonna be a lot of fun to watch too.

I’ll take 7 and a good bowl game to start.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
It’s going to be Chadwell. UNC gives us a glimmer of hope for Key but we are about to get beat down this weekend unfortunately.

We only scored 21 points against UNCs awful defense (2nd lowest all season). The UGA offense is going to score on us easily and we might not score a single point. I obviously hope I’m wrong but it’s reality. The Key high will be gone and we will all rally behind Chadwell (at least I hope).

Chadwell is my pick...but I really hate to break this to you: There is no confirmation that Chadwell and GT have agreed to anything. Just messageboard rumors and Twitter whisperings.

For all we know Chadwell may just be a plant to root out some loose lips inside the GTAA like Allen Greene was during the AD search.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
Hiring someone because a booster was roommates with the guy sounds like an awful decision lol. That is the kind of stuff that I would expect from Auburn. I hope Batt doesn’t do something like that.
You'll say that until you are the roommate booster donating seven figures to the Athletic Department...

Gtech24

Jolly Good Fellow
Chadwell is my pick...but I really hate to break this to you: There is no confirmation that Chadwell and GT have agreed to anything. Just messageboard rumors and Twitter whisperings.

For all we know Chadwell may just be a plant to root out some loose lips inside the GTAA like Allen Greene was during the AD search.
I know it’s just rumors. I didn’t say we have agreed to anything with him. I’m just saying Key is riding his post win hype like we have seen all year. Then we’ve had the major dips (UVA, FSU, Miami). The last dip is about to happen this weekend (even though it’s expected), and Key is going to be on the wrong side of the ultimate decision (likely to be Chadwell).

Gtech24

Jolly Good Fellow
There has been too much up and down with Key to feel confident enough to hand over the keys for a new AD making his first hire. He’s going to go with experience and proven ability which Key doesn’t have. It won’t be popular with everyone but it’s the smartest decision and best long term play for the program.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
Batt was hired to get the best hire, but he may be undercut by the group. Sorry you honest guys have to put up with this; I have tried to help, but it is not appreciated, so I will sign off. To the owner of the board, I could not get in under my original email address and handle, so please delete my original email ( [email protected] ) and my present information under Rodney Kent.
You are such a martyr. Thank you for your service to us poor stupid people. Next time when you log back in under a different name then perhaps we'll better appreciate your brilliance and wisdom.

Billygoat91

Jolly Good Fellow
Does this guy know what he's talking about? Chadwell doesn't precisely run the "triple option", does he? It's a spread option, with the QB in shotgun.
It blows my mind how option principles are used by EVERY team in college football but running a triple option play gives people a stigma against the offense. Chadwell's offense has many many concepts that you see in Urban Meyer's offense that continues to be run at Ohio State. Also, Lane Kiffin is putting up Paul Johnson type numbers (with a lot of QB run) at Ole Miss.

The trope that an option offense does not prepare or require players at the NFL level is growing more and more absurd by the day. Especially when teams like the Eagles and Ravens are running qb run-heavy option schemes and are having success doing it.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
Sure. He’s not going to single out an all American and blame him for the loss. But it doesn’t change that point of my OP, which is that if a really good player makes a routine catch we lose - and Carolina wins despite our great defensive effort.
And if we had not missed the tackle on the opening play then we would have won anyway. What's your point?

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I don't disagree, but Chadwell's best recruits look like our average recruits. Granted, he is not recruiting for an ACC school, but we are not exactly a recruiting powerhouse. The flip side of that is that he is winning a bunch of games with those " below average" guys.
You’ve got to compare his recruiting results relative to his G5 conference not to P5 GT’s recruiting, thats ridiculous.

Billygoat91

Jolly Good Fellow
Anyone trying to equate Jamey Chadwell to the flexbone/Veer/Wing T/triple option/etc is REALLY missing the point. Yes, Chadwell uses option concepts within his offense, but his offense is SO MUCH more.

Coastal Carolina is one of the most efficient passing teams in the history of college football. Grayson McCall had a season that ranked #1 ALL TIME in passing efficiency. Read that statement again. Right now, Coastal Carolina ranks #39 is total passing, #3 in passing efficiency. They've passed for MORE yards than teams like FSU, Penn State, LSU. Teams like TCU (with the great Garrett Riley) and 'Bama are less than 500 yards more passing than Coastal.

If the "option" part of Chadwell's offense is scaring off other teams, GOOD! They're doing us a favor. There is a LOT of genius in Chadwell's offense. GT needs to decide if we want to win on the field, or win the fan perception battle. IF GT does pull the trigger on Chadwell, fans will find out REAL fast that the passing game for Chadwell is as much of threat to defenses as his running game. This is as complete of an offense as you'll find on any level of football...and it's why teams have a difficult time defending it. You can't load the box to defend the run, and you can't bring dime packages to defend the pass. You're stuck in no man's land hoping your players make the right decisions defending the run or defending the pass...and more often than not, they're going to be wrong.

I don't hide the fact that Chadwell is my #1 choice, but I am not going to be upset if we don't hire him. If we don't hire him because we have a better candidate with more upside, I'll be just as happy. However, if we don't hire him because some donors can't bare the perception with their drinking buddies that GT "runs the option", well then we've lost the plot.
This needs to be broadcasted on every social media platform if we go with Chadwell. The cognitive dissonance of people that are equating this to CPJ's offense is annoying

Gtech24

Jolly Good Fellow
This needs to be broadcasted on every social media platform if we go with Chadwell. The cognitive dissonance of people that are equating this to CPJ's offense is annoying
Anyone that needs to be told this doesnt know a thing about football and is irrelevant lol the people that actually matter get it (recruits, HS coaches, players, etc)