HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
We're 162 pages into this thread...the pro-Key people have been making the case for their guy for some time. But since you asked...

Let's see...I think the argument goes (in no particular order):
  • he's a Tech man and understands the Institution;
  • he talks (and dresses) like a REAL football coach (love the sweaty t-shirts and the pressers);
  • he won't embarrass us with off-the-field indiscretions (personal, recruiting, etc.);
  • he has done well under difficult circumstances (the VA game is the fly in that soup)
  • he has PAC and ADJB's endorsement (if hired), which means he will have the resources he needs from the top. (This would be true of other candidates, also.)
That last point is interesting in that I'm not sure CPJ always had everything he needed to run a first-class program. Folks think he was making-do with less.

Really? He's a tech man and you like the way he dresses, and he won't embarrass us off the field? How you managed to type that without realizing that maybe you don't have a good case if that is what you have to resort to is baffling.

The 4th point is an opinion, but I don't see how anyone could see how we've played since the bye week and think Key's done well. Even if you don't think the issues are all on him, which they aren't, he hasn't done anything in that time to earn the job.

The fifth point not only applies to the other candidates but it isn't even an argument for hiring him because it wouldn't be true until after he was hired.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Really? He's a tech man and you like the way he dresses, and he won't embarrass us off the field? How you managed to type that without realizing that maybe you don't have a good case if that is what you have to resort to is baffling.

The 4th point is an opinion, but I don't see how anyone could see how we've played since the bye week and think Key's done well. Even if you don't think the issues are all on him, which they aren't, he hasn't done anything in that time to earn the job.

The fifth point not only applies to the other candidates but it isn't even an argument for hiring him because it wouldn't be true until after he was hired.
Everyone on here knows you hate Key.

jacketfanatic15

Georgia Tech Fan
Maybe that's because those people think he ought to have a shot at recruiting his own players, hiring his own staff, running practices they way they ought to be run, etc.

Is this REALLY so difficult to understand? :rolleyes:

Personally, I'm hoping for Chadwell, but I can understand the thinking of the Key supporters, and I'd be okay with CBK if Chadwell turns us down.
Not to mention the situation inherited at QB. Hard to expect anyone to do too much in his situation.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer

Dude. Who did I say MY first choice is?

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
  • he has done well under difficult circumstances (the VA game is the fly in that soup)

The emphasized section is, to me, what warrants giving him consideration.

When C**** got fired, the reasonable expectation for the interim should've been to not win another game. (That looked like where C**** was heading and add in the disruption and distraction.

Key managed to match C****'s annual win total in in just 5 games with the same team - all against conference opponents. UVA was ugly, but far from as bad as the ugliest game C**** ever coached. We were well in that game until Sims got hurt. Still had a shot at the end without QB1. Then, we played 3 games without the QB1, against conference opponents, and managed to find a way to win against VT. (Again, with a team that shouldn't have been expected to win anything, much less after losing the starting QB.) Then we were in the game with Miami right up until QB2 went down. That's not counting the other injuries, assistants resigning, players leaving...

Point is, how much better do you think the average coach could've done with the hand Key was dealt? IMHO, worse. I don't think very many coaches could've done much better. Thus, Key is probably a pretty good coach. Some folks are comparing his performance to some imaginary scenario for the interim without all those challenges and that's a fallacy. Why would we hire a coach that goes 3-5? Because the expectation was the interim (whoever it was) would've gone more like 0-8.

It also comes down to what caliber of coach you believe Tech can hire. If we can land a proven top tier candidate- Great! But realistically, given our challenges and resources, it's probably Key or a dice roll on an unproven coach or retread. There's plenty of valid reasons not to pick Key. But there is a decent chance he's better than the next realistic possibility. Personally, I'd rather see what Key can do with a fair shot than roll the dice on (another?) second tier option. But that's predicated on Key accepting a Tech-favorable contract and assuming we don't have an A+ hire available to us.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
When C**** got fired, the reasonable expectation for the interim should've been to not win another game. (That looked like where C**** was heading and add in the disruption and distraction.

We lost to Clemson, Ole Miss and UCF. There is no reason for winless the rest of the way should be seen as a reasonable expectation. Based on Collins history you'd expect two more wins. Considering the defensive improvement, which I have a hard time crediting to the OL coach, getting 3 more wins is certainly within the picture considering the way the schedule was extremely soft in the middle.

But you have to set the bar extraordinarily low to try and make Key's performance here worth discussing him being hired.

JacketFan137

Banned
tcu is now 10-0 “running what everyone else runs”. recruiting in the 30s-40s and by no means a football factory. remind me again why we need a “schematic advantage”? 😂😂

absolute shame we didn’t throw a bag at garrett riley even if it was a long shot. will welcome chadwell especially after this season of collins and brent key as HC and chip long’s offense but i think riley is gonna be the next big thing

Techster

Helluva Engineer
tcu is now 10-0 “running what everyone else runs”. recruiting in the 30s-40s and by no means a football factory. remind me again why we need a “schematic advantage”? 😂😂

absolute shame we didn’t throw a bag at garrett riley even if it was a long shot. will welcome chadwell especially after this season of collins and brent key as HC and chip long’s offense but i think riley is gonna be the next big thing

Garrett Riley IS a schematic advantage.

For some reason people think "schematic advantage" means "run the option".

Techster

Helluva Engineer
We lost to Clemson, Ole Miss and UCF. There is no reason for winless the rest of the way should be seen as a reasonable expectation. Based on Collins history you'd expect two more wins. Considering the defensive improvement, which I have a hard time crediting to the OL coach, getting 3 more wins is certainly within the picture considering the way the schedule was extremely soft in the middle.

But you have to set the bar extraordinarily low to try and make Key's performance here worth discussing him being hired.

Given the need to wash our hands of the CGC era, and convince the new AD that he had his guy already on the payroll, Keys bar was always high. IMO, 6-2 was the mark he had to hit in 8 games. He didn't reach it. End of discussion now.

JacketFan137

Banned
Garrett Riley IS a schematic advantage.

For some reason people think "schematic advantage" means "run the option".
yeah i was mostly saying that comment in jest. not everyone means option by “schematic advantage” but the “we are georgia tech we can’t run what everyone else runs” crowd is definitely just code for the option

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Well, not exactly. We have conflicting information:

2006 – Georgia Tech (recruiting coordinator)

2006Georgia Tech (RC)

Wiki can show almost anything.

My wiki page shows that I was President of Georgia Tech. Also, STECH81's page shows he is 6 foot tall, 180 pounds and can power lift 669 pounds after consuming 24 twelve ounce beers in 48 minutes.

*The references for the two wiki pages above do not really exist, just in case anyone had any doubt. 😁

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Pretty sure Collins' official title his first time around was something like director of player personnel or something. But his role was to work with recruiting. Regardless, even at the time it was known he played a big role in the formation of that class.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
Given the need to wash our hands of the CGC era, and convince the new AD that he had his guy already on the payroll, Keys bar was always high. IMO, 6-2 was the mark he had to hit in 8 games. He didn't reach it. End of discussion now.
How does losing QB1 & QB2 to season-ending injuries factor into your evaluation?

Sounds like "not much."

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer

Chadwell and Garrett Riley run basically the same offensive concepts. Chadwell just has more motion going on in the backfield, and actually runs some straight up option plays. Their route trees and blocking patterns are very similar. Chadwell is waaaayyyyyyy closer to Garrett Riley than he is to CPJ’s version of the “option.” He might as well be Garrett if you compare him to CPJ. I don’t think there’s anybody on the board who wants to go back to the CPJ/Coach Ken/Monken/Bohannon style of option. It’s a non factor. People want Chadwell (or Riley, but he’s a much less realistic candidate) because they can provide a schematic advantage without sacrificing the optics of running “the option.”

The people who are anti-Chadwell because he runs “the option” are just as bad as the people who want to go back to CPJ’s style of option. TCU throws for 272 yards per game, Coastal throws for 254 yards per game. Max Duggan (TCU’s QB) averages 9.3 yards per attempt, Grayson McCall averages 9.5 yards per attempt. They’re doing the same things.

Sometimes you’re so close to getting it, and then you fall right back into the trap. If you want GT to look like TCU, and to have a chance to do what TCU is doing this year, Chadwell is the only option. If you want us to look like Purdue, South Carolina, Syracuse, Arkansas, West Virginia, etc (aka average P5 teams) hire Mike Houston, BOB, Bill Clark, or Dan Mullen

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I thought so at first. But if he pulls off another Pitt-style upset today, I dunno.