HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Until Stoops wins an SEC Championship, he'll always be in the shadows of Calipari and Kentucky basketball. His biggest competition is in the same athletic department. Both coaches literally got into a pissing match about which program was the bigger heavyweight in the athletic department.

Rumors are Nebraska and Auburn will make a BIG push for Stoops. At both schools, it's not a question which sports program is the most important. Maybe Stoops uses other schools to make a point at Kentucky, or maybe he moves on to a program where its unquestioned which program is the most important within the athletic department.
That strategy worked well for Bear Bryant at KY.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Much happier than averaging 3-9 every year. Tech has averaged 7 wins for 5 decades. We’re in the high 50s of revenue produced. Winning 7 games a year is an overachievement for where we should be. Going to 18 straight bowl games is an overachievement. Winning a Power 5 conference is an overachievement.

If it’s true that nobody is happy averaging 7-5 every year, it damn sure hasn’t moved the needle enough to produce the funds necessary to get beyond that threshold.

You love Auburn. You saw how they supported their team and former player turned interim HC last Saturday. They were playing another bad team and they sold the whole stadium out. GT on the other hand, barely sold 50% of our tickets. You always talk about the big bad SEC and how much different it is, and how players don’t want to play in the little ole ACC and for poor old Tech. But somehow you expect us to become nationally relevant on a consistent basis? A lot of times I don’t even understand what you are looking for, expecting, or hoping for when it comes to Tech football. You’re all over the place.

If a senior’s career at GT looked something like: 7-5, 8-4, 9-3, 6-6, that would be above our historical averages. I think that is well within reach, and what we should strive for. 10+ win seasons are rare at Tech. Very rare. 1 for every 5 seasons would be an astronomical pace.
I've been posting here for the last 6 years. My position has always been that Tech is a 7-5 team, year end and year out. Anything else is gravy. And FWIW, VERY few teams can sustain a win rate over 65%.

I was not a fan of the NFL Lite strategy. But it seems most people... that's what they want. So my answers are in response to THAT.

If you listened to Kirby today, he was asked what it took to succeed. In short, it takes the entire organization, the entire fanbase, the entire administration focused on delivering consistency. At least that's his view.

As to Auburn, I comment on it because I'm here and Tech at one time, was a huge rival and I think it's relevant. Feel free to block me if it's not your cup of tea.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Everyone one loves Duke's coach and obviously Cutcliff was very good there. So, why then must Tech hire a "scheme guy" to run air raid, triple O, or some other form of option or high school offense? Dook is not sending 5 stars to the league on the regular and hasn't run any gimmicky office (I know they run some qb read options, but so does Bama and Clemson), so it would seem that we can hire any type of scheme coach. So long as the coach is a good one, he can run whatever offense he wants including pro-style, bama style, RPOs, whatever.
Have you looked at Dukes record over Cutcliffs 12 years, 0.46. This record was less than that high school offense that achieved 0.57. The 0.46 was also achieved without Clemson and UGA yearly. I like Cutcliff as he did a good job at Duke. He also had a school that supported him. CPJ would have taken Duke to multiple 10 win season with their schedule. But. All this has been hashed out a million times…. But throwing shade deserves light.

Deleted member 6494

ultimately i can’t provide a good source cause this is information i’ve gathered from conversations with a handful of guys i know that coach in the north metro area in forsyth, gwinnett, fulton and cobb. we have just really lacked a presence at some of the bigger schools in the area like buford, grayson, and some other pretty prominent programs

the biggest tell of this is we have had a hard time recruiting our own state and are rarely seen as an option by top 50 talents. i’m not saying we need to be raking in all top 10 ga recruits as that is unrealistic when bama, clemson, lsu, ohio state etc are all knocking on the door, but we are not even considered most of the time.

winning back some recruiting control of our own state should be priority number 1 for whoever comes in as far as recruiting plan goes
Yes, I think it definitely makes a difference if the High School coaches think highly of our coaches. Dodd was a very likeable person and admired by most. I would say he ranked highly among the High School coaches.

I would further guess that a coach with good winning records at various schools would be a great indicator his players like him; when a coach is not liked by the players, he generally does not win regularly.

Go4Tech

Jolly Good Fellow
I get that this is a normal salary range for the top (even mid-level) programs.

I'm just scratching my head at how much money coaches are being paid period.

Not the university president. Not the head of a department. The coach.
Fully understand that perspective.

Typically, the President or Department Head, do not put people in seats and create "buzz" to the outside world. Yes, the President and Department Head(s) can create a buzz to their respective research partners, DoD, and what not, but that money is not "seem" by those outside the community.

So from the perspective of seats being full, talk outside the "event", and desire to be part of "it", the HFBC and HBBCs (both Women and Men) can typically have the biggest impact factor into the "perceived value" of the Institution or University.

THWG! That is all!

Deleted member 6494

I’m very curious about who Key could hire as assistants if he was to become to HC. He has TONS of connections and is well liked around the CFB industry. Jeremy Pruitt as DC would be a great hire and makes some sense for Pruitt
If Key was to be the Head Coach, we would already know it and, he would be recruiting as the Head Coach. Since it has not been announced, it leads me to believe he is not on the list.

Let's assume you have already been contacted and accepted, but you do not want it to be announced until all the dust settles. Let's say you only have one loss, the chance to win your conference championship, and a possible election into the National Championship contention.

You do not want any confusion among the team or any other things for them to worry about other than winning the remainder of the games, so you have GT to withhold the announcement until after the bowls or until you are out of contention for a shot in the six game National Championship games.

We may not know the new coach until then or until the team falters.

Jolly Good Fellow
I get that this is a normal salary range for the top (even mid-level) programs.

I'm just scratching my head at how much money coaches are being paid period.

Not the university president. Not the head of a department. The coach.
I read somewhere that the highest paid government employee in 48 out of 50 states is the Head FB coach at the flagship state university...the other two are Indiana and Kentucky...guess who the highest paid state employees are there....

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
I've been posting here for the last 6 years. My position has always been that Tech is a 7-5 team, year end and year out. Anything else is gravy. And FWIW, VERY few teams can sustain a win rate over 65%.

I was not a fan of the NFL Lite strategy. But it seems most people... that's what they want. So my answers are in response to THAT.

If you listened to Kirby today, he was asked what it took to succeed. In short, it takes the entire organization, the entire fanbase, the entire administration focused on delivering consistency. At least that's his view.

As to Auburn, I comment on it because I'm here and Tech at one time, was a huge rival and I think it's relevant. Feel free to block me if it's not your cup of tea.
So what are the expectations for this program?

O'Leary had 5 straight Top 25 AP poll finishes, and 3 straight wins over the Dwags. He then had a cup of bitter coffee at ND.

Gailey followed with 5 straight years of winning records against FBS opponents. In his 6th year he slipped to 6-6, and we fired him. He never beat the Dwags, but he never had a losing record against FBS teams and went to a bowl every year.

Then Paul Johnson comes in. He had 5 years of winning records against FBS opponents, but that's over 11 years. 6 of the 11 years he was .500 or worse. He beat the Dwags 3 times in 11 years. He left on his own terms.

Many posters refer to Johnson as the standard for a new coach. What are the expectations? Is it OK to only have a winning record against our FBS opponents only half the time? Have the expectations fallen that far from 2007 to 2022? Or is it that winning against the Dwags every 4 years or so is more important than having a consistent winning record against FBS teams? I can't figure out what the leaders of this program want the standard to be. They fired Gailey but kept Johnson. Over the last 15 years the standard declined. Where is it now? Will Cabrera change it? Is there enough money to change it?

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer

O'Leary had 5 straight Top 25 AP poll finishes, and 3 straight wins over the Dwags. He then had a cup of bitter coffee at ND.

Gailey followed with 5 straight years of winning records against FBS opponents. In his 6th year he slipped to 6-6, and we fired him. He never beat the Dwags, but he never had a losing record against FBS teams and went to a bowl every year.

Then Paul Johnson comes in. He had 5 years of winning records against FBS opponents, but that's over 11 years. 6 of the 11 years he was .500 or worse. He beat the Dwags 3 times in 11 years. He left on his own terms.

Many posters refer to Johnson as the standard for a new coach. What are the expectations? Is it OK to only have a winning record against our FBS opponents only half the time? Have the expectations fallen that far from 2007 to 2022? Or is it that winning against the Dwags every 4 years or so is more important than having a consistent winning record against FBS teams? I can't figure out what the leaders of this program want the standard to be. They fired Gailey but kept Johnson. Over the last 15 years the standard declined. Where is it now? Will Cabrera change it? Is there enough money to change it?
The Strategic Plan goal for Competition is "Ensure all student-athletes have opportunities, support and resources to win ACC and NCAA team and individuals championships in every sport."

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
One thing Deion would certainly do almost immediately is increase attendance. Jackson State is averaging 42k fans at home games, with 51k at homecoming. They were almost double the 2nd highest attended FCS team last year.
... Not a lot to do in Jackson... They don't have too many conflicts with MLS games, concerts, NBA games, and other major events. Granted, it is also a much smaller city.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer

O'leary's teams in the modern climate would not be ranked like that unfortunately. Hell he managed to have a 7-5 finish ranked. and an 8-5. And He did arguably coach against the worst UGA era of any of our coaches after dodd.