HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

Deleted member 6494

That is true, he was born in Galax, Virginia and moved to Kingsport Tennessee when he was 12. The rest of his time until he graduated from the University of Tennesse, he lived in Tennessee.

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
As far as median scores, they’re really up—the SAT scores and the grades. Alums who have had their children apply have seen their offspring with higher SATs and GPAs (even with grade inflation) and all A’s in AP courses get turned down.

The admissions office is focused more on student achievement vs. SAT scores now as a better predictor of student success.

As for the minimum, I think admissions is looking more at “can the student finish?” and looking at the courses they took and how they did. I think they’d be willing to completely ignore the SAT score, but there are flags in a student’s transcript they won’t ignore.
I think we are talking about two different things. I'm referring to the overall SAT scores and I believe you are referring to the SAT scores at GT. I agree completely that the average SAT scores at Tech have gone through the roof...

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I did well at GT, as far as grades… but there is no way I could have been accepted with todays GT requirements. Between this data point and my experience recruiting from GT, the bar has been significantly raised.

They used to flunk 50% out to get the cream of the crop. Now they say they only invite the cream.

Some of this is data and some my opinion, but GT requires significantly more from a football athlete today than 1995… 100%.

EE95_curse EMAG!

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't think any of us know whether <insert any HC hire here> would be a success here. I doubt he is hired, but it is not a slam dunk either way.

Fixed, removed "Deion".

I like the "potential" lightning strike that Deion would bring to this program. He is the best chance at quick national relevance. That said, even I know it could be a bust with maybe either bad OC or DC or just too much chaos to gel.

That said, he brings the most upside of any rumored/wanted HC candidate. No one else comes close.

Deleted member 6494

Fixed, removed "Deion".

I like the "potential" lightning strike that Deion would bring to this program. He is the best chance at quick national relevance. That said, even I know it could be a bust with maybe either bad OC or DC or just too much chaos to gel.

That said, he brings the most upside of any rumored/wanted HC candidate. No one else comes close.
He might bring the most upside in the charisma campaign but not necessarily in the win column for certain schools.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Fixed, removed "Deion".

If he had even a year of coaching experience at an ACC school, I might agree with you. But I don't think he would know what to do with the job if he got it and I don't want Tech to teach him. I don't see any upside - besides headlines and you remember where that got us - to him being our coach. But, hey, I'm not making the decision.

Creative

Georgia Tech Fan
If he had even a year of coaching experience at an ACC school, I might agree with you. But I don't think he would know what to do with the job if he got it and I don't want Tech to teach him. I don't see any upside - besides headlines and you remember where that got us - to him being our coach. But, hey, I'm not making the decision.
Headlines for hiring C*******? Not sure he created “headlines”. Folks here were excited (I was not in that camp) with the branding nonsense, but it was just a normal 4th choice hire from what I remember. Maybe I’m wrong though. Deion would be “headlines” FOR SURE.

EE95_curse EMAG!

Jolly Good Fellow
None of those candidates fit that definition either lol all of them have won at the highest level at their respective schools. None of them are "worn down" or trending down.

Mullen also lost big at highest level and left UF a hot mess. BOB lost big at NFL level and destroyed the franchise. Hard pass on both.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Amen to the bolded. No more hiring coaches to learn on the job.

EE95_curse EMAG!

Jolly Good Fellow
He might bring the most upside in the charisma campaign but not necessarily in the win column for certain schools.

True, but you can say that about all the popular choices as well. I'd say "...but not necessarily in the win column" applies to all possible candidates, we just don't know. They all have warts. It makes sense, we can't pay $10 million per/yr to steal a stud coach that is closest thing to sure thing. I would say Deion is only slightly less an unknown outcome than a lower level hire. Same for a reclamation hire like Mullen or a schitzo hire in BOB (Penn State, good, Texans awful).

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Mullen also lost big at highest level and left UF a hot mess. BOB lost big at NFL level and destroyed the franchise. Hard pass on both.

Saban lost big. Urban Meyer lost big. Matt Rhule lost big.

NFL tenures are not a reflection of a coach's college ability. Bill O'Brien won more than a lot of NFL coaches. He also did a dang good job at Penn State. He'll probably win a lot more games in college than he did in the NFL, and that's saying something. BOB isn't a "sexy" hire, but he's going to win a lot of games for whatever program ends up hiring him. GT would be fortunate to get him. He wouldn't be my first choice (Jamey Chadwell is), but I would be far from disappointed if he was named our HFC.

Last edited:

slugboy

Staff member
True, but you can say that about all the popular choices as well. I'd say "...but not necessarily in the win column" applies to all possible candidates, we just don't know. They all have warts. It makes sense, we can't pay $10 million per/yr to steal a stud coach that is closest thing to sure thing. I would say Deion is only slightly less an unknown outcome than a lower level hire. Same for a reclamation hire like Mullen or a schitzo hire in BOB (Penn State, good, Texans awful).

Lane Kiffin has red flags. Look at his USC and Tennessee tenures. Saban’s Miami tenure was horrible. Every coach we look at is going to have reasons not to hire them.

Very few programs would reject Saban because of his time coaching the Dolphins—it’s ridiculous. But if someone wants to lock onto a reason not to hire a coach, they’ll find one.

EE95_curse EMAG!

Jolly Good Fellow
BOB lost big? He won four division titles in six years. We should lose that big.
His overall record was 50-48. True, he took over a 2-14 team, but they had lost Arian Foster for second half of season and had the mediocre Matt Schaub running the team. The prior two years, the team was 12-4 and 10-6 so they had lots of talent (The healthy version of JJ Watt DPOY a couple of times). BOB was solid coach, but not a good/great coach. He was awful personnel manager and yes, that matters, it's the NFL equivalent of recruiting. If he mitigated his nose for talent with a good recruiter hire and stayed away from recruits altogether, I could get behind him...maybe.

He still does not excite me, but there are worse candidates being discussed, so I'll ease up on him.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
His overall record was 50-48. True, he took over a 2-14 team, but they had lost Arian Foster for second half of season and had the mediocre Matt Schaub running the team. The prior two years, the team was 12-4 and 10-6 so they had lots of talent (The healthy version of JJ Watt DPOY a couple of times). BOB was solid coach, but not a good/great coach. He was awful personnel manager and yes, that matters, it's the NFL equivalent of recruiting. If he mitigated his nose for talent with a good recruiter hire and stayed away from recruits altogether, I could get behind him...maybe.

He still does not excite me, but there are worse candidates being discussed, so I'll ease up on him.
Prior to 2020. his only losing season was when he lost JJ Watt after the 5th game, Watson after the 8th games and finished the season 2-10. In the four years surrounding that year he won his division four times. Anyone who does not think he is a good coach knows nothing about football. His failure in the NFL came after he was given the GM prior to the 2020 season and then proceeded to screw up the roster. As a coach he won.

The answer is in your second paragraph. You want excitement. Well, winning crates excitement and he wins.

Last edited:

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Would it be reasonable to say that the coach for
GT has already been chosen but will not be announced until after the regular season? Any coach who is having a good year would probably not want to leave his team until the end of the year.

Would it also be reasonable to say that any coach that is not active (such as Mullen) would have already been announced so it would help the coach to actively begin his recruiting. No announcements for an inactive coach would appear to mean they are not candidates.
That’s my guess.