HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I am moving toward the belief that Brent Key should be retained as our next Head Coach. I think he has done well with the situation he was handed post-Collins. One key aspect that has me thinking in that direction, is the emergence of our young quarterback, Zack Pyron. Zack and Brent are basically from the same place in Alabama and Brent was heavily involved in Zack's recruiting. There just seems to be a chemistry and synergy that is becoming more and more prevalent as this season moves forward there. Quarterbacks make or break college football programs and I think we have a special one.

If a new guy takes the reigns it is going to take 3 to 5 years to determine if he is the right guy or not, regardless of who it is. One thing about Key is you know he loves Georgia Tech and he will give it his very best effort to make the program the best it can be. He has a good relationship in the State of Georgia with the High School coaches. He has existing relationships with the current players and knows our current needs. I think he could put together a good staff and recruit well.

Go Jackets!

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I just learned some news...Miami's QB is out for today's game. Not sure who will start.

If Tech wins, the anti-BK forces will say that the win doesn't count because Miami wasn't at full strength. BK will get no credit for the win.

If Tech loses...well, that's pretty much the final nail.

Miami is a team ranked 104th, at home, without their starting QB. I wonder why people would be hesitant to read too much into a win in that situation. Must be a conspiracy against Key.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
I disagree. The worst case scenario basically involves what you are saying. For example, lets say the following happens

We hire Key, keep the defensive staff, and bring in a new offensive staff. However, the offense still struggles as it has the past 4 years, and the defense regresses to the mean with respects to turnovers and has some key losses to being back to closer to what it was the past 3 years (and what we have seen against better teams this year at times), and we go back to being a 3-9 team. Then we are the laughing stock who decided to fire a coach and AD mid year just to keep most of the staff and still get terrible results.

I really do not understand the love for Key. Pitt was a great game. Beyond the change at kickers, which I'm not sure we wouldn't have done anyways as it wasn't like the old kicker was entrenched as a multi year starter, I doubt it had much to do with anything he did during the 4 days after Collins got fired and was more just to general relief of not being under the cloud of a coach about to be fired. Since then we've had a mediocre showing against Duke and then three bad performances coming off a bye week. You would expect that we'd continue to improve as more time has gone away but we haven't.

Miami is a team ranked 104th, at home, without their starting QB. I wonder why people would be hesitant to read too much into a win in that situation. Must be a conspiracy against Key.

I don’t think (many if any) people are rooting against Key. There are some rooting for Key.

Im not sure why people are rooting for Key as head coach other than the team is playing better than 3-9 football.

Longestday, meet Iv20gt.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Longestday, meet Iv20gt.

I'm not rooting against Key just because I think he'd be a horrible hire. I hoe we win out blowing out everyone and that'd probably get him hired.

But I think he did a bad job as an assistant and don't buy the fairytale that he wasn't allowed to do anything because Collins wouldn't let him. I also think we've played bad football the past several weeks since the bye and am not willing to overhype mediocre to flat out bad teams to prop him up.

Miami is a bad team without their starting QB and starting RB. Why would anyone think beating them is impressive?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Bama will be in the Playoffs, this wont age well. Every year fans say the same sht, they wont lose another.

Well, you were right on Ole Miss. They didn't have enough to beat 'Bama.

Got to admit when you're wrong, and I was wrong on this one.

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
This I disagree with emphatically. Check out the stands when a good team with normally great attendance plays a weak team. The stands are half full. UGa plays weaklings and there are PLENTY of empty seats. Same at LSU or any other school. Fans will return when they see the program as relevant, which means competitive against good teams.
ok, the stands are empty for those games at UGA… but overall, UGA and other have tons of fans despite often playing weaklings out of conference.

A decade of 10-2 teams with two out of conference patsy wins is going to grow a fan base better than a decade of 8-4 teams with two extra out of conference losses.

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck
ok, the stands are empty for those games at UGA… but overall, UGA and other have tons of fans despite often playing weaklings out of conference.

A decade of 10-2 teams with two out of conference patsy wins is going to grow a fan base better than a decade of 8-4 teams with two extra out of conference losses.
Yeah I agree.
UGA cupcakes (Seats 92.7k)
Samford - 92k
kent state - 92k
GT TBD but probably a full stadium

Tenn cupcakes (seats 101.9k)
ball state - 92k
akron - Sold out
ut martin - sold out

Alabama cupcakes (seats 100k)
utah state - 98k
ULM - 98k
vandy - 9k
austin peay - TBD

kalld12

Banned
I just learned some news...Miami's QB is out for today's game. Not sure who will start.

If Tech wins, the anti-BK forces will say that the win doesn't count because Miami wasn't at full strength. BK will get no credit for the win.

If Tech loses...well, that's pretty much the final nail.
Final nail! Thank god!

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
Our coaching options look bleak. I got a feeling we are gonna hire someone very ho-hum. Tech never makes good decisions

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I was hoping Key would be the choice because it would be the least disruptive. I doubt today's game helped that cause.

We have some decent options if we can afford them. Two more weeks and we will probably know.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Fans need to keep in mind, it isn't about who they think GT should hire - it is about who is interested in being hired by GT. Those are generally 2 very different things for most fanbases.

If GT makes a 'ho-hum' hire, it may not be because that is who GT targeted, it may be that is who GT can get.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Fans need to keep in mind, it isn't about who they think GT should hire - it is about who is interested in being hired by GT. Those are generally 2 very different things for most fanbases.

If GT makes a 'ho-hum' hire, it may not be because that is who GT targeted, it may be that is who GT can get.
That's why I think we end up with an OC or DC who wants to become a HC rather than a "name" coach. Has to be someone ready to take a risk with lots of self confidence. Possible exception is a retread wanting to be a head coach again and willing to take on a tough schedule with 2 virtually guaranteed losses on the schedule.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Dan Mullen makes almost too much sense.

Disagree. I think he's an above average candidate for GT (he would definitely take us back to regular bowl games), but I think there are others with higher long term ceilings.

I wouldn't be mad about Mullen though. We'll see who ends up here...I have more confidence in Batt bringing in a high ceiling HFC than I would have had it been Stansbury.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Here's a name to throw into the ring: Oregon OC Kenny Dillingham.

As of right now Oregon is in the middle of a 10+ minute drive. He's turned Bo Nix into a Heisman Candidate. As OC of Auburn in 2019, Auburn had an OFEI of 33. Went to FSU for 2020-2021 and FSU's OFEI went from 95 to 45 in one season. This season, in his first year at Oregon, has an OFEI of #3.

For those that want some Gus Malzahn offense plus some modern day passing concepts, Dillingham can be your answer to that.

Super young guy at 32, but he's going to be a P5 coach one day.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I saw the Dan Mullen mentioned by Braun on Twitter yesterday. Although he did elevate a lower SEC school in wins, a lot of the wins appear to be outside the SEC given the 5th place division record most years. His start at Florida was impressive, his finish was not (but I don’t know why). It looked a lot like CPJs first 4 years, but CPJ got more rope to get to 2014. The more I look the more outside of SEC wins was a big part of win total at both schools.