HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

Deleted member 6494

Just imagine Pyron in Chadwell's offense. I think he would thrive.
He might thrive, but there will probably be other 2-way QB's that would want to come to Tech if he is hired. I think Chadwell will not be available unless GT gets on the stick and offers him. There are rumors Virginia Tech was interested in him, Vanderbilt, USF, and GT. South Carolina was interested, but chose Shane Beamer and Tennessee was interested until they got the coach from UCF.

He played Quarterback, so he knows the position well in order to teach it. The major item in his suitcase is his good record at Coastal Carolina and previous colleges.

If Tech were to lose the next 3 games, would the ones on the board still want him Key as head coach? This is an important question as these games are his only qualifications?

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We cannot play an option offense because we will not get the Jimmys and Joes.

We cannot get the Jimmys and Joes, so we need good Xs and Os

We know Jimmys and Joes beat Xs and Os, so we need a recruiter for Jimmys and Joes.

We know that Jimmys and Joes can’t do the math, so no Jimmys and Joes, we need Xs and Os.

But gimmicks will never add up and will only give you Dons and Johns. Dons and Johns will not beat the big Jimmys and the big Joes.

But sometimes Dons and Johns with the right Xs and Os can beat those Jimmys and Joes.

“Sometimes” is not all the time. We need all the time for national title time.

Hmmmm, do you own a shaggy dog van by chance?

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I do realize that. I was guilty of saying that. After his departure, and hearing from guys inside the program, I am now convinced otherwise.

Here are the OFEI's of the teams we've face (WCU not included) For comparison, our offense is 107.

Clemson - 42,
Ole Miss - 8
UCF - 24
Pitt - 69
Duke -38
UVA - 100
FSU -18
VT -108

Against Clemson we had held them to 14 points midway through the 3rd quarter until Thomas got ejected (and 7 was basically off a punt block). Then things fell off, along with getting worn down because of the offense.

Against UCF, we had held them to 16 points through 3 quarters, with 7 coming off a punt block, until again Thomas was ejected. Overall, I'd argue this game was the most impressive defensive performance of the year. Pitt isn't as good offensively as people believed at the time (although we did go without Thomas the first half), and maybe you could argue Duke, but they've played such a weak schedule that it's hard for me to buy it.

The Ole Miss game was terrible, but so too was FSU, and the Virginia schools are so bad offensively that I'm not sure how much that says about our defense.

Overall, the defense is improved from last year certainly but I think that was shown even in the first 4 games. But we were, overall, playing better offenses and also spent a quarter of the time without Thomas. I think a good part of that is personnel, which obviously hasn't really changed mid year. Thomas has taken a big leap this year but that also was shown from game 1. We've been better about getting negative plays from our opponents, but again, that was true in the early games (White had 4 of his 4.5 sacks the first 4 games, Eley 2 of his 3.5) TFL numbers also support this. Turnovers are probably the biggest difference between this year and last year. We had 8 through the first 4 and have had 22 through 9 for an average of 2.4. In general turnovers certainly have an element of luck, and it feels we've gotten quite a few gifts this year in that regard. Similar to how in 2014 we were really good in forcing turnovers with Roof, but it was never repeated with him and in general it was a weakness.

Had we not looked so bad against FSU and if we look competent against UNC and UGA I'll be more of a believer, but I think the talk of keeping Thacker on seems based on hope and performances against weak offenses rather than real improvement (since Collins was fired).

slugboy

Staff member
Here are the OFEI's of the teams we've face (WCU not included) For comparison, our offense is 107.

Clemson - 42,
Ole Miss - 8
UCF - 24
Pitt - 69
Duke -38
UVA - 100
FSU -18
VT -108

Against Clemson we had held them to 14 points midway through the 3rd quarter until Thomas got ejected (and 7 was basically off a punt block). Then things fell off, along with getting worn down because of the offense.

Against UCF, we had held them to 16 points through 3 quarters, with 7 coming off a punt block, until again Thomas was ejected. Overall, I'd argue this game was the most impressive defensive performance of the year. Pitt isn't as good offensively as people believed at the time (although we did go without Thomas the first half), and maybe you could argue Duke, but they've played such a weak schedule that it's hard for me to buy it.

The Ole Miss game was terrible, but so too was FSU, and the Virginia schools are so bad offensively that I'm not sure how much that says about our defense.

Overall, the defense is improved from last year certainly but I think that was shown even in the first 4 games. But we were, overall, playing better offenses and also spent a quarter of the time without Thomas. I think a good part of that is personnel, which obviously hasn't really changed mid year. Thomas has taken a big leap this year but that also was shown from game 1. We've been better about getting negative plays from our opponents, but again, that was true in the early games (White had 4 of his 4.5 sacks the first 4 games, Eley 2 of his 3.5) TFL numbers also support this. Turnovers are probably the biggest difference between this year and last year. We had 8 through the first 4 and have had 22 through 9 for an average of 2.4. In general turnovers certainly have an element of luck, and it feels we've gotten quite a few gifts this year in that regard. Similar to how in 2014 we were really good in forcing turnovers with Roof, but it was never repeated with him and in general it was a weakness.

Had we not looked so bad against FSU and if we look competent against UNC and UGA I'll be more of a believer, but I think the talk of keeping Thacker on seems based on hope and performances against weak offenses rather than real improvement (since Collins was fired).
I looked at team performance in another thread. We have actually performed better since Collins left. Much of that is on defense.

If Brian Fremeau maintains his pattern from previous years, he’ll post a game by game OFEI and DFEI after the season, so we’ll be able to see whether there’s a change using the FEI numbers

However, I’d say defense improved this year, and improved again after Key took over, but it’s not top 25 right now. It’s still better. Offense has not improved much as of yet, but Pyron showed potential last week. Punts are still an adventure

Also, special teams have been responsible for a lot of our issues. The scores look bad for defense until you factor out punt returns and blocked punts and pick-sixes

By the way, if we have terrible outings against UM and UNC, that would wipe out the improvements we’ve seen.

We’ve also lost some players to the portal during the season, which probably hurt on special teams at least

Last edited:

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

Clemson - 42,
Ole Miss - 8
UCF - 24
Pitt - 69
Duke -38
UVA - 100
FSU -18
VT -108

Don't get me wrong. I am not saying our defense is bullet proof, or that our DBs are superior talents, (though I do think we have some major talent there), but rather that CGC was able to find and retain some quality DBs, and it shows. uga is going to beat us badly, but how we play against UNC is the barometer for me.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
So throw out all the names you want, but the odds of success playing a schedule that is in the top 25 in difficulty as we have the last 4 years are low. Maybe fans are right and I am wrong---a .500 FBS coach like Johnson is as good as we can expect. The alternative is to position ourselves with a schedule like Wake Forest has, which means no Georgia and no Clemson every year--but then we don't sell tickets.

We are between a rock and a hard place. A new coach is very unlikely to solve the problem. I'd spend the money on NIL, but as someone else said, we always seem to be behind the 8 ball.
1. Yes. I've been saying for years that Tech need to start scheduling to win not to lose. But … we keep doing it. If scheduling to win means dumping Ugag for awhile, then so beat. We dumped Awbun and UT after very long series. I don't think we can dump Clemson, however. And, btw, if the team wins it will sell tickets. Winning is what creates fans, not who you play.

2. Yes. That's because Tech is a fairly small school comparatively and today the alums are scattered all over creation. But the Slug is right; we can raise enough money to compete and occasionally win big. You may remember the coach we had who did that … What was his name? …it's on the tip of my tongue! Begins with a J! Nope, can't remember. Like a lot of people.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
If Key is retained, it will be interesting to see what he does with the offense. Our offense has actually regressed with a more seasoned OL and skill players. We were not good last year (#78 OFEI), but we are putrid this year (currently #107 OFEI). That's a huge drop. Our offense is one of the worst offenses in P5. As mentioned previously, Long is here in large part because of Key.

Hiring away Willy Korn from Coastal would be VERY interesting. You get one of the the architects of Coastal's offense, without having to revamp the entire team if we would have hired Jamey Chadwell. I think the GT fanbase would be energized as well given how popular Chadwell and his option/RPO offense is among us. Doubtful as Key seems to be of the Saban and O'Leary school of running certain offenses.

On the other hand, our defense has made a dramatic improvement. It's actually respectable (current DFEI #41). I think it will get better as Thacker can build on it...and I think Key would be crazy to replace Thacker (that's if someone else doesn't hire him away...which there's some smoke on the internet that he's becoming in demand).

I think GT can sell Key. I don't think it's an issue with Donors...from what I've heard, Key is VERY popular among big donors. More so to fans and recruits. From a recruiting standpoint, Key will be able to sell how much better the program has gotten under him, and the different direction he would take it. Fanbase will be a bit harder, but would hinge on his staff changes. Getting a top notch OC will do that for Key.

I'm more inclined to think Batt will want to put his "stamp" on the program and hire someone completely untethered from GT's past. This is his opportunity to take GTAA in a different direction with his hands all over the department. I think that's also why Cabrera was adamant about getting rid of Stansbury (and his #2) as well as Collins. I think Cabrera wants a clean slate.

We'll see. I've been an advocate for Key if he proves himself at a high level....BUT I wouldn't mind a new regime with new ideas.
Ignoring most of what you talked about...my simple point is that our stats for the full year are kinda meaningless to me. I want the stats post Collins. Yes, our schedule is easier (but aren't there stats that adjust for that?) and there have been so many changes...in personnel especially...that make those first four games meaningless imho.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Winning is what creates fans, not who you play.
This I disagree with emphatically. Check out the stands when a good team with normally great attendance plays a weak team. The stands are half full. UGa plays weaklings and there are PLENTY of empty seats. Same at LSU or any other school. Fans will return when they see the program as relevant, which means competitive against good teams.

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
This I disagree with emphatically. Check out the stands when a good team with normally great attendance plays a weak team. The stands are half full. UGa plays weaklings and there are PLENTY of empty seats. Same at LSU or any other school. Fans will return when they see the program as relevant, which means competitive against good teams.
Ideally for attendance, you win against and only play good teams. That's not the comparison that matters. Conference schedule is set and can't be controlled, so which of the following results in the highest total attendance across a season:

Option 1: 3 patsies, 3 guaranteed wins. 8 conference games + UGA see boosted attendance because your team has a better record.

Option 2: 3 hard OOC opponents, go 0-3. You get way better attendance for those 3 games, but the other 9 set on our schedule have reduced attendance because our record isn't as good and we're perceived as a bad team.

I really don't know the answer here, but looking at other's schedules it seems the consensus is Option 1.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer

Clemson - 42,
Ole Miss - 8
UCF - 24
Pitt - 69
Duke -38
UVA - 100
FSU -18
VT -108

Let's give some credit to new assistant coaches and effort by the players that may not have been there earlier. The DL has gotten push this year better than last year and those guys require effort every single play. It's a war in those lines.

slugboy

Staff member
Ideally for attendance, you win against and only play good teams. That's not the comparison that matters. Conference schedule is set and can't be controlled, so which of the following results in the highest total attendance across a season:

Option 1: 3 patsies, 3 guaranteed wins. 8 conference games + UGA see boosted attendance because your team has a better record.

Option 2: 3 hard OOC opponents, go 0-3. You get way better attendance for those 3 games, but the other 9 set on our schedule have reduced attendance because our record isn't as good and we're perceived as a bad team.

I really don't know the answer here, but looking at other's schedules it seems the consensus is Option 1.
If you’re a top 40 team, option 1 is a lot easier. We only get to play one FCS team a year, and we do. That’s one patsy (and we lost to the patsy in Collins’ first year). There are 130 FBS teams, and you’ve got the top 40, the bottom 40, and the great middle. For most of the bottom 40, they’re either taking a payday for their OOC game or maybe they’re picking a game they think they can win. For those payday games, that means that there’s competition to play UMASS and we’ll have to outbid those teams.

Then, there’s the uglier problem. WE’VE been in the bottom 40 for the last 4 years—we’re the FBS patsy. The bottom 20 teams are a lot worse than the next 20, but when you’re looking for an easy game it’s really tough when YOU’RE the easy game. We “bought” two wins last season—Kennesaw State and NIU. We lost to NIU.

So, we’re somewhere between scheduling option 1 and option 2 right now. We should have been able to win against UCF, who is in the “great middle”. Until we work ourselves up, there aren’t as many patsies to schedule as we need.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
If you’re a top 40 team, option 1 is a lot easier. We only get to play one FCS team a year, and we do. That’s one patsy (and we lost to the patsy in Collins’ first year). There are 130 FBS teams, and you’ve got the top 40, the bottom 40, and the great middle. For most of the bottom 40, they’re either taking a payday for their OOC game or maybe they’re picking a game they think they can win. For those payday games, that means that there’s competition to play UMASS and we’ll have to outbid those teams.

Then, there’s the uglier problem. WE’VE been in the bottom 40 for the last 4 years—we’re the FBS patsy. The bottom 20 teams are a lot worse than the next 20, but when you’re looking for an easy game it’s really tough when YOU’RE the easy game. We “bought” two wins last season—Kennesaw State and NIU. We lost to NIU.

So, we’re somewhere between scheduling option 1 and option 2 right now. We should have been able to win against UCF, who is in the “great middle”. Until we work ourselves up, there aren’t as many patsies to schedule as we need.
Is UCF in the great middle? They are ranked 22nd and 7-2 overall, that looks top 40 to me.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer

Didn't Stansbury say the OOC target was one FCS, one G-5, one P-5, and Ugag or something like that? Sounds reasonable to me, and our next three years' schedules reflect that mix.
Next year is S.C. State, Bowling Green, Ole Miss, and Ugag.
Some want to pad our schedule with four patsies and some want all P-5. I think what we've been doing is not too hard, not too easy, but just about right.
We'll see if Batt follows that formula, but the next three years are set.

slugboy

Staff member
Is UCF in the great middle? They are ranked 22nd and 7-2 overall, that looks top 40 to me.
Yeah, they are. I don’t think they were ranked that high when we played them, but they are now.

The main idea is that it’s hard to load up on easy teams when you’re looking up at most of the FBS.

01838796-4215-4945-801F-BFF1523114C8.jpeg

F11C3DDE-3EC9-40EC-BCD0-8B5549083B94.jpeg

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer

Clemson - 42,
Ole Miss - 8
UCF - 24
Pitt - 69
Duke -38
UVA - 100
FSU -18
VT -108

Gary Patterson for DC!

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
I’m sure Meyer has been mentioned but does anyone think it’s a possibility? His daughter went to school here so maybe he has a small sense of fandom. I know he didn’t work out in the NFL but neither did Saban.

I would probably put him number two behind Deion In my field.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
I just learned some news...Miami's QB is out for today's game. Not sure who will start.

If Tech wins, the anti-BK forces will say that the win doesn't count because Miami wasn't at full strength. BK will get no credit for the win.

If Tech loses...well, that's pretty much the final nail.

Yoda

Helluva Engineer
I’m sure Meyer has been mentioned but does anyone think it’s a possibility? His daughter went to school here so maybe he has a small sense of fandom. I know he didn’t work out in the NFL but neither did Saban.

I would probably put him number two behind Deion In my field.
I was thinking about that possibility when watching Big Noon Kickoff this morning. I have a weird suspicion we have a chance at him. He’d probably pull Cory Dennis along as OC too. Too much connection to not be a possibility.

slugboy

Staff member
I just learned some news...Miami's QB is out for today's game. Not sure who will start.

If Tech wins, the anti-BK forces will say that the win doesn't count because Miami wasn't at full strength. BK will get no credit for the win.

If Tech loses...well, that's pretty much the final nail.
If I was Cabrera and Batt—especially Batt—I’d watch the game and the games of the other candidates and judge more from the game and from their coaching than from the final score.

Football’s a weird sport. You can screw up and win, or do almost everything right and lose.

I don’t even know who all the candidates are. But, I’d be really interested in what kind of difference the coaches are making.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I don’t think (many if any) people are rooting against Key. There are some rooting for Key.

Im not sure why people are rooting for Key as head coach other than the team is playing better than 3-9 football.