HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
let's be honest, no matter who our next head coach you will be starting over. What you hope for is a coach that can turn it around in 1 or 2 years. The way it is today in college football you are going to have players leave and move on. it sucks but that is college football today.
I agree with you, just wonder can a new coach turn it around through the portal/nil, seems to me you have to limit how many you bring in through the portal or you could have a mess on your hands.
The way I see our present situation is if we can keep what we have it would not take too many players through the portal, if you could get the right players, for this to be a good FB team, but certainly I'm no expert so I could easily be wrong. If I'm right, it seems to me it's extremely important that we have the hire done by the end of the season at the latest.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Is there any interest in Mike Houston at ECU. He is building a pretty good program there that started lower than a snake's belly. He won a national championship at JMU so he must know what he's doing.

I watched the end of their game last night against BYU and was surprised he went for a first down on 4th and one in the red zone. This was while tied very late in the game and FG would likely win. They got stuffed and fortunately got the ball back under a minute and kicked a FG with 2 seconds to win. He has done a good job at ECU.

Novajacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Is there any interest in Mike Houston at ECU. He is building a pretty good program there that started lower than a snake's belly. He won a national championship at JMU so he must know what he's doing.

I watched the end of their game last night against BYU and was surprised he went for a first down on 4th and one in the red zone. This was while tied very late in the game and FG would likely win. They got stuffed and fortunately got the ball back under a minute and kicked a FG with 2 seconds to win. He has done a good job at ECU.
He's my number 1 choice. I am hopeing ADJ's connections to ECU will help with this.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

I can't say I would be opposed to Houston if he's the one tabbed for the job, but I'm not sure he's even in my top 5. Getting past GTs history with ECU coaches, he's had one winning season (7-5) where he beat the teams he should have beaten and he's had a good but not great season so far this year. He notched a win against a mediocre BYU team and a close loss to NCSU, but to say he's built a program may be premature. Ideally, you'd want to see how he looks after the 2023 season but we don't have that kind of time.

Again, he looks to be a promising young coach, but I'm hoping for someone a tad more proven.

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck

Houston would be a good hire

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
The D got shredded today. O was MIA in the first half. Pyron is a guy we need to keep. Cringe worthy: Put an option in the play book for him. He ran it in HS.

HurricaneJacket

Helluva Engineer
So who do we think current candidates are? Any rumors?

My 1A is Chadwell, my 1B is Dell McGee (based on the crowded booth video) and Deion is my 2A. The rest of the pack is just that, the pack.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Pyron and Chadwell are enticing potential there....Pyron and McCall are very similar in traits all though Pyron seems to be a little more touted as a prospect. If I'm Pyron Im definitely tugged to staybif I hear Chadwell and that offense is coming and Im considered for the QB job
100%

There’s been several people on this board acting like Chadwell is a risky option because his record without McCall at Coastal is not good. But they fail to realize (or just choose to ignore) Chadwell’s only losing seasons at CCU were in 2017 as an interim HC in Coatal’s first year in FBS, and in 2019 as his first year as full time HC.

McCall has played well at Coastal, but most of it is because of Chadwell’s offense putting him in position to make plays. McCall is not an NFL talent at QB. He might end up like Kellen Moore, but he doesn’t have near the potential that Pyron (or even Sims) would playing in that offense. Chadwell’s offense has put McCall in a position that he may get NFL looks, and will probably sign as an UDFA. If McCall was playing at somewhere like Troy, or Texas State, or Toledo he would likely not even be on anybody’s radar. The offense has made a world of difference for him.

malak05

Jolly Good Fellow
100%

There’s been several people on this board acting like Chadwell is a risky option because his record without McCall at Coastal is not good. But they fail to realize (or just choose to ignore) Chadwell’s only losing seasons at CCU were in 2017 as an interim HC in Coatal’s first year in FBS, and in 2019 as his first year as full time HC.

McCall has played well at Coastal, but most of it is because of Chadwell’s offense putting him in position to make plays. McCall is not an NFL talent at QB. He might end up like Kellen Moore, but he doesn’t have near the potential that Pyron (or even Sims) would playing in that offense. Chadwell’s offense has put McCall in a position that he may get NFL looks, and will probably sign as an UDFA. If McCall was playing at somewhere like Troy, or Texas State, or Toledo he would likely not even be on anybody’s radar. The offense has made a world of difference for him.
Yeap honestly we have learned at GT because many factors we aren't going to be able to out recruit most schools but give me a scheme that can level that playing field sorta like PJ did and just solid recruiting and we maybe in business. I do think Chadwell offense will not be as hard to recruit for as the triple option. Plus I think Potentially if Chadwell wants hes got the option to retain some guys like Thacker, Knight, and Watson that can help keep some guys and recruit. The defesne as a whole hasnt been the issue this season. Its the other coaches, Special Teams, and QB play.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Yeap honestly we have learned at GT because many factors we aren't going to be able to out recruit most schools but give me a scheme that can level that playing field sorta like PJ did and just solid recruiting and we maybe in business. I do think Chadwell offense will not be as hard to recruit for as the triple option. Plus I think Potentially if Chadwell wants hes got the option to retain some guys like Thacker, Knight, and Watson that can help keep some guys and recruit. The defesne as a whole hasnt been the issue this season. Its the other coaches, Special Teams, and QB play.

I doubt we have a single coach on this staff retained, just from a PR standpoint.

malak05

Jolly Good Fellow
I doubt we have a single coach on this staff retained, just from a PR standpoint.

Speaking just in the sense of if Chadwell comes in hes gonna be incredibly busy installing his offense and getting prepared. If you have some guys on the defense side that you think can return and run the D and be semi consitent over there you may consider it... Again Defense hasnt overall been terrible just over exposed in recent weeks.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Speaking just in the sense of if Chadwell comes in hes gonna be incredibly busy installing his offense and getting prepared. If you have some guys on the defense side that you think can return and run the D and be semi consitent over there you may consider it... Again Defense hasnt overall been terrible just over exposed in recent weeks.

I highly doubt that any of our current coaching staff will be here next year in any scenario that doesn't include CBK being retained as HC, which I think is highly improbable. A new HC taking this job will want as much distance from this dumpster fire as possible, even if there were good pieces on our staff (which I believe there are).

I agree that defense is improving, but I doubt it will improve enough to warrant a new HC retaining the D coaches.