HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

gdamian

Georgia Tech Fan
I'm just wondering if Tech should give Key a one year contract, keep the staff intact, prevent a lot of transfers and decommits. Give him that type of shot. I really hate to see us having to start over again.
Like it or not, we are starting over again. GT deserves the best coach and coaching staff possible. That is what I think we all want.

Billygoat91

Jolly Good Fellow
This is a wild one (and totally unrealistic) to consider but what about James Franklin? He very well may be blown out by OSU, meaning that Penn State has not been competitive against Michigan and Ohio State for multiple years. Is it possible Penn State moves on from him?

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
This is a wild one (and totally unrealistic) to consider but what about James Franklin? He very well may be blown out by OSU, meaning that Penn State has not been competitive against Michigan and Ohio State for multiple years. Is it possible Penn State moves on from him?

I think if something like that were to happen, it'd be like Shaka Smart where Franklin takes another job prior to being fired, maybe even with the encouragement of the PSU AD. But I would still think that would be very unlikely.

gville_jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I think it's possible that PSU moves on from Franklin, I don't think it'll be this year. And PSU still has a very good chance at going 10-2 regular season this year. That's still a good year, even for them. Personally, I think if PSU did move on, Franklin would land in the NFL or like Stanford.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Like it or not, we are starting over again. GT deserves the best coach and coaching staff possible. That is what I think we all want.
Tstan rushed the hire and staffing 60 days.
The more things that Angel and Batt put in place to dress up gtaa, the better the hire.

I like the idea of having the highest paid position coaches ( particularly ol and dl) and medium expensive head coach. This assume that Batt will be a hands on helping ad.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer

I think it's possible that PSU moves on from Franklin, I don't think it'll be this year. And PSU still has a very good chance at going 10-2 regular season this year. That's still a good year, even for them. Personally, I think if PSU did move on, Franklin would land in the NFL or like Stanford.

There is a 0% chance PSU moves on from Franklin soon. He just signed a new contract that’s is *guaranteed* 7mil per year until 2031.

Even if available, he is just an improved version of Collins. He is a good recruiter with very bad game day coaching. His timeout calling is close to the level of Geoff.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
There is a 0% chance PSU moves on from Franklin soon. He just signed a new contract that’s is *guaranteed* 7mil per year until 2031.

Even if available, he is just an improved version of Collins. He is a good recruiter with very bad game day coaching. His timeout calling is close to the level of Geoff.

:oops:

Come on. No one is as bad at calling time outs as Collins was. You are talking crazy talk now. ;):LOL:

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
He is a d bag. Not as bad as Kiffin, but right up there. No thank you.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
:oops:

Come on. No one is as bad at calling time outs as Collins was. You are talking crazy talk now. ;):LOL:
He's not as bad, but he's pretty darn close. I grew up a PSU fan before going to GT and changing allegiance. Still watch most of their games. Franklin has always drove me bananas. My brother (PSU grad) would text me "looks like Collins pulled another Franklin" when botching game time.

There's a feeling, a general consensus if you will, among the incredibly passionate Penn State fan base that James Franklin's coaching is one of the things holding the program back.

But as with any coach, there is legitimate criticism. The harshest of Nittany Lions fans think he’s very average as a game-day coach. They’ll cite clock management and in-game adjustments as recurring issues. The team seems to have a least one major Achilles Heel every year: Weak O-line play, receivers dropping passes, poor tackling, mass defections through the transfer portal, slow starts, blown fourth-quarter leads, timeouts wasted while the clock is stopped, turnovers, schizophrenic staff turnover, no depth at QB. It’s always something, and Ohio State will make you pay, every time.

gville_jacket

Ramblin' Wreck

Hey I only said it was possible. Still don’t think it’ll be this year. Obviously he’ll leave eventually, one way or another. But yea, I also think it’s a very chance and any claims of moving on is salty PSU fans, no one inside the PSU program.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Nooooooo!

stech81

Helluva Engineer
let's be honest, no matter who our next head coach you will be starting over. What you hope for is a coach that can turn it around in 1 or 2 years. The way it is today in college football you are going to have players leave and move on. it sucks but that is college football today.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
The way it is today in college football you are going to have players leave and move on. it sucks but that is college football today.
This doesn't really bother me. Everybody plays under the same umbrella regarding transfers, so for me, it's about having a coach with a program vision and executing that vision well.