HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Chadwell is extremely high on my list of preferred coaches for GT. I really like his system and the fact that he has rebuilt a program, even if it isn't a P5 program. My biggest fear is that he hasn't been plucked yet so I wonder why other programs needing a new HC haven't bitten on him. Other than CPJ, our G5 hires haven't really panned out here so far.
All good P-5 coaches come from the lower ranks (and all the bad ones, too). The fact that only one of them has panned out here doesn't change that. I'm not certain he's the guy or anything, but just saying... As for why he hasn't been plucked, I would rate that a genuine concern, and I guess that's where the AD has to do his homework and find out. Maybe there just aren't many who are willing to take a chance.

stech81

Helluva Engineer

“The reason why we like to run the offense that we do, you don’t have to have the best linemen in the country to win games,” Chadwell said. “You don’t have to have the best receivers in the country to win games. Every job that I have had has been a rebuild. We’ve had to develop and recruit talent that fits your system."

“Part of the reason that we like to do the offense, is it gives you a chance to win games. We were probably the eighth most talented team out of ten in our league — and won the league this year. Part of that is because you get kids to buy into your scheme and your system, and they fit that. We can do a variety of different things. Recruiting is not hard for it, you just have to find the right guys that want to fit into what you do.”
Problem is this sounds like CPJ ( which I liked very much) but most on here didn't like him and most of the good defenses after a few year knew how to stop us.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
All good P-5 coaches come from the lower ranks (and all the bad ones, too). The fact that only one of them has panned out here doesn't change that. I'm not certain he's the guy or anything, but just saying... As for why he hasn't been plucked, I would rate that a genuine concern, and I guess that's where the AD has to do his homework and find out. Maybe there just aren't many who are willing to take a chance.

I don't disagree with you, but I do wish we were in a position to hire a successful lower tier P5 coach, but unfortunately we've effectively relegated ourselves to lower tier P5.

Like I said, I'd be happy with a Chadwell hire, I just have a little unease as well.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Problem is this sounds like CPJ ( which I liked very much) but most on here didn't like him and most of the good defenses after a few year knew how to stop us.

They knew how to stop it the first year. They weren't particularly good at stopping it at any point. Good defenses that play disciplined football can stop any offense. We will lose to those teams most of the time with any coach we hire. We simply don't get the level of talent needed to out athlete those defenses.

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
A good defense is going to have a good shot at slowing or stopping any offense. Not a lot of teams did BETTER against the good defense teams GT played in 2014, for instance. Seven years in.

Clemson and UGA both got better coaching and better athletes shortly after that and left GT behind, but that was as much about them as it was about GT.

Were Gailey’s teams any less “scheme oriented” than Johnson’s just because the scheme advantage happened to be on defense instead of offense? They didn’t stop every good offense either, but they did comparatively a lot better than the ones we’ve seen sense.

Scheme shouldn’t be a dirty word. it helps separate the top-10 recruiting teams with championships from the ones without, even.

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
We have tossed a lot of names around and honestly I am not sold on any of them. They all could just as easily flop as succeed.

I am curious however who are the top candidates out there for a major P5 program HC position? For example if Saban or Dabo decided to retire this year who would be the names tossed around for those programs?

slugboy

Staff member
We have tossed a lot of names around and honestly I am not sold on any of them. They all could just as easily flop as succeed.

I am curious however who are the top candidates out there for a major P5 program HC position? For example if Saban or Dabo decided to retire this year who would be the names tossed around for those programs?
If Saban retired, Kiffin and Dabo would be names mentioned. They might even go after Heupel or Smart.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I’ve done some research on guys who could earn a look at the HC job that have crossed paths with J batt. Look no further than Garret Riley, the current OC at TCU.
A most impressive resume. While OC and QB coach for SMU, they finished in the top 15 both years in both scoring and total offense.
TCU is 7-0 this year with him as OC and they're running up big scores.

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
A most impressive resume. While OC and QB coach for SMU, they finished in the top 15 both years in both scoring and total offense.

He’s going to be a HC at a big time program in the near future. He’s a genius by just reading some of his offensive thoughts and philosophies. He’s been a position coach at multiple positions too which goes a long way.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
He’s going to be a HC at a big time program in the near future. He’s a genius by just reading some of his offensive thoughts and philosophies. He’s been a position coach at multiple positions too which goes a long way.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
If Saban retired, Kiffin and Dabo would be names mentioned. They might even go after Heupel or Smart.

Dabo would have to eat a LOT of money to go to Bama. Not that Bama couldn't afford it...

"If Swinney leaves Clemson for Alabama after the 2022 season, he would owe Clemson $9 million. In 2023 and 2024, it drops to $7.5 million, $6 million in 2025, $4.5 million in 2026 and 2027, $3 million in 2028 and 2029 and $1.5 million in 2030."

Techster

Helluva Engineer

2022 TCU OFEI: 19
2021 SMU OFEI: 37
2020 SMU OFEI: 29

Obviously this guy is a young up and coming coaching talent. The question is whether J Batt is willing to stake his reputation on a young coach who has never run his own program. He's more than just an Air Raid guy, as his rushing offense is just as potent as his passing offense.

His offense is very similar to his brother Lincoln's offense in that he prioritizes the run to open up the passing game...and it's a sight to behold.

Very tantalizing offensive numbers, and it's what I've said about GT: We need an offensive mind running the program, or at least someone like O'Leary/Ross who has an outstanding offensive mind on the staff (see: Friedgen).

My personal opinion is I don't think Batt will take this kind of chance yet. Garrett Riley is obviously going to be a very good coach one day, and right now the GT job may not be a fit for either side yet. Of course, if we can get a guy like O'Brien to bring discipline and a professional organization to our team, and have Riley run the offense...THAT would be amazing.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
Dabo would have to eat a LOT of money to go to Bama. Not that Bama couldn't afford it...

"If Swinney leaves Clemson for Alabama after the 2022 season, he would owe Clemson $9 million. In 2023 and 2024, it drops to $7.5 million, $6 million in 2025, $4.5 million in 2026 and 2027, $3 million in 2028 and 2029 and $1.5 million in 2030."

Not that I think he would leave Clemson, but he makes $11 million per year. He could pay it easily.

And, the ONLY place he would leave for is Alabama. They would cut that check in a minute if he is the guy they want.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't disagree with you, but I do wish we were in a position to hire a successful lower tier P5 coach, but unfortunately we've effectively relegated ourselves to lower tier P5.

Like I said, I'd be happy with a Chadwell hire, I just have a little unease as well.
Yeah, AJ I have similar uneasy feelings about him. Question, not a statement: Is Chadwell's success a function of QB quality at the time ? All coaches are subject to this, but some more than others. We made this mistake with a coach from ECU one time.