HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Watching Tennessee beat Alabama yesterday was confirmation that an offensive scheme is what Georgia Tech needs to compete against the football powerhouses. CPJ had a scheme and he was very successful and competitive. Our new head coach needs to either have a unique scheme like Heupel or Chadwell or bring in an OC that is creative and can give us an advantage. Just my two cents.
What is heupels scheme? I just noticed good athletes making blocks, running routes, a talented Qb, standing tall in the pocket or avoiding a defender, making very good to excellent throws to pass-catching wr’s.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
What is heupels scheme? I just noticed good athletes making blocks, running routes, a talented Qb, standing tall in the pocket or avoiding a defender, making very good to excellent throws to pass-catching wr’s.

If it doesn't have a catchy phrase or title attached to it you will never get it past the "scheme uber alles" guys and gals . What you said doesn't have any sizzle but the UT fans seemed to enjoy it, name or not. ;)

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Veer and Shoot :D

(It's what I wanted to rip off from UCF a couple of years ago)

Even Mike Leach has incorporated more of a running game. The smart coaches understand what works and try to "steal" the good ideas.

Jamey Chadwell's teams have incorporated option + RPO passing (which came later when he had a talented passing QB). LOVE this interview:

“The reason why we like to run the offense that we do, you don’t have to have the best linemen in the country to win games,” Chadwell said. “You don’t have to have the best receivers in the country to win games. Every job that I have had has been a rebuild. We’ve had to develop and recruit talent that fits your system.

“Part of the reason that we like to do the offense, is it gives you a chance to win games. We were probably the eighth most talented team out of ten in our league — and won the league this year. Part of that is because you get kids to buy into your scheme and your system, and they fit that. We can do a variety of different things. Recruiting is not hard for it, you just have to find the right guys that want to fit into what you do.

Does that sound like a certain option guru who use to coach on the Flats? The difference is, Chadwells QBs are also passing for a LOT of yards as well. He understands you have to have the ability to have a high powered passing offense as well.

That's not to say Chadwell is the only guy for GT. If anyone has paid attention to this generation of Air Raid coaches, they've also started instituting some pretty devastating running schemes. Anyone notice what Heupal did with Hendon Hooker and his RBs? Hooker was a weapon with his legs as well as him arm. Hooker is a good runner, but he's not a Jeff Sims level runner. Imagine the Air Raid with spread option being run by an elite dual threat QB! How about Lincoln Riley with Caleb Williams?

It will be interesting to see the direction J Batt goes with our HC. TBH, I'm not sure Chadwell will be high up on Batt's list. Hope I'm wrong, because Chadwell is #1 on my list, but given Batt's background he'll probably look for a scheme advantage coach that's also recruiting friendly. Guys like a Heupal, Lincoln Riley, Bill O'Brien, etc. Not saying those guys specifically, but guys with similar systems that have a high level of X's and O's acumen, and but also a system that doesn't eliminate recruits before you even walk in their living room.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
I'm not much of an Xs/Os kind of guy, but it looks to me like the good coaches figure how to go where they're not until it catches up with them, and it always does, and then they figure where every body is and go where they're not again. That's about as Xs and Os I can get. I've watched Saban do this over the years he's been at 'Bama.
Looks to me like a HC needs to have really good leadership qualities, smart enough to figure out who is the right hire in each case, create an environment that both coaches and players want to work in and he needs the backing and $ to do this. Saban says he needs to be willing and actually take care of the details, I'm damn sure not questioning that.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
It’s not as much about Key doing anything amazing as it about Collins doing things that were just silly. Once that was undone, we immediately improved.

There is 1 variable that is different with GT football. Everything else is the same.
Collins took a look at Clemson.Swinney and immediately decided he was ll about "culture". Except he had no clue what Swinney was doing and how Clemson morphed into the head of the class in college football. And it didn't include telling every player how much he loved them after every loss. Or lifting weights on the sideline. One of the attractions of the GT job is a coach would be following Collins and who wouldn't be better than that?

cpo5701

Georgia Tech Fan
Chadwell has to explain what he will do to correct the Old Dominion debacle. It is amusing that while Key has made Tech look like a football team, seems like many still question his abilities due to OL problems of past years. I'm sure Chadwell will encourage his team to resume the elite level of play they had before Old Dominion crushed them. All about Chadwell said with tongue in cheek. I admit pulling for Key.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Chadwell has to explain what he will do to correct the Old Dominion debacle. It is amusing that while Key has made Tech look like a football team, seems like many still question his abilities due to OL problems of past years. I'm sure Chadwell will encourage his team to resume the elite level of play they had before Old Dominion crushed them. All about Chadwell said with tongue in cheek. I admit pulling for Key.
I think we are ethier getting home cooking ( key) or someone w more experience like o brien (hc, nfl, ala). A good hc can hire great young oc .

georgytech

Georgia Tech Fan
I will be very surprised if next year's coach is not Key or O'Brien.
Bama ties all around & most people go with familiarity that feels comfortable to them.
I like Chadwell & have watched him since Chas. So. but think he will get passed over. I hope we do not hire anyone from UGA.
Deion would be a splash hire & would put GT into the national spotlight immediately.
Top flight assistants are going to be necessary in any event plus the academic side has to help as promised.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Whatever he's doing is working. I knew he could coach after his UCF team beat us a few years ago. I think he just has a really good ability for play calling and analyzing the defense. Wish we had him. I
Played golf today with a UT grad. He thinks Tenn plays UGA this year. Go VOLS.

SuperToe

Georgia Tech Fan
if I am not mistaken they play every year. Or at least since you and I have drawn breath here on this spinning rock. ;)
Georgia and Tennessee have played every year since the SEC went to divisions in 1992. Before then, they did not play every year in the 10-team SEC.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Georgia and Tennessee have played every year since the SEC went to divisions in 1992. Before then, they did not play every year in the 10-team SEC.
This year will be a good game to watch. UT is the real deal this year. Good friend of mine was starting center at UT in 1970 and I am from Nashville so I pull for them in the SEC.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I don’t see UT vs UGA being a good game. UT’s defensive line is solid, but nothing like what UGA had last year.

UGA is now what Bama has been the past decade. They have the best athletes at every position on the field. They are faster and stronger than everyone else. UGA will kill UT on the outside, both offensively and defensively. Plus it’s going to be in Athens. I think UGA wins handedly, 38-24.

UGA won’t have an actual challenge until they see Ohio State in the playoffs, and if they don’t get a matchup vs. OSU, they cake walk to another natty

Techster

Helluva Engineer
This year will be a good game to watch. UT is the real deal this year. Good friend of mine was starting center at UT in 1970 and I am from Nashville so I pull for them in the SEC.

Spent yesterday watching college football with friends. (BTW...everyone was congratulating me on GT's hire of AD Batt)

My UGA buddies are terrified of UT...and they should be. Tennessee is going to put up points on UGA. The question is whether UGA can keep pace with UT with their own offense. I'm not sure UGA can. Last year Stetson Bennett was one of the most efficient passers. This year he hasn't been as efficient, and UGA's outside speed is average for an elite team.

Also, I think Ole Miss is going to be just as tough on 'Bama as Tennessee was. There's a good chance 'Bama doesn't even make the SECCG and misses the playoffs.