HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

slugboy

Staff member
I have seen athletes here crash and burn well before midterms, including some I went to high school with ages ago. It's not just brainpower or intelligence--the workload here is different. Just because you're a 5* doesn't mean that you're not an ace student--FSU had a pre-med Rhodes Scholar for Pete's sake--but the pool of 5* players that are ready for our environment is smaller than the pool of 5* players. Even if 50% of the 5* players are ready to also hit the books as much as they do here, it's the 50% of the 5*'s that every school is fighting the hardest for.

Could Trevor Lawrence have made it through Tech? Sure. But there are several categories of prospective student athletes--those that can't make it through at Tech, those that can but aren't disciplined enough to actually do it, those who could but aren't willing to entertain the idea, and those that are interested enough and capable enough and disciplined enough. We need to recruit in the last category, and it's a smaller group.

Top-flight recruiting isn't impossible here, but it is more challenging.

kalld12

Banned
Not to rain on your parade, but ...

Jackson State has an acceptance rate of 69%, is classed as below average, average SAT of 930 and average ACT of 17. Tech has an acceptance rate of 23%, is classed as very selective/highly competitive, average SAT of 1465 and average ACT of 33.

How many JSU SA's do you think could cut it at Tech?
Requirements are relaxed for SA's, although harder than Jackson State, you act like its damn near impossible to get into Tech as a SA, far from the truth.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
you wouldn't bet your life savings? Stop lying.
Hey, brother could be leveraged to the hilt, driving a beater, with nothing to lose. Just saying.....

broken chris farley GIF

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Requirements are relaxed for SA's, although harder than Jackson State, you act like its damn near impossible to get into Tech as a SA, far from the truth.
Nope. You can get Special Admits. But it's very difficult if they can't handle the workload. I teach football players... it's very sad for some of them.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
uga grads

Have they worked with GT before or is this a first time thing?

Yes, they have worked with GT before. While most are UGa grads, they aren't going to ruin their reputation by giving us a bad list of candidates. They don't actually do the hiring, they do due diligence, get with GT to form the list, make contact where GT can't so there is plausible deniability, etc. I'm sure GT has a list and they have a list and they see who has interest in even looking at the job or not and cut through a lot of the initial stuff that takes time. They have lists that have background info, buyout amounts, etc. that can use to knock out a log of people quickly and are, obviously, very well connected to a ton of coaches.

See this article from 2013 on them specifically.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
I have seen athletes here crash and burn well before midterms, including some I went to high school with ages ago. It's not just brainpower or intelligence--the workload here is different. Just because you're a 5* doesn't mean that you're not an ace student--FSU had a pre-med Rhodes Scholar for Pete's sake--but the pool of 5* players that are ready for our environment is smaller than the pool of 5* players. Even if 50% of the 5* players are ready to also hit the books as much as they do here, it's the 50% of the 5*'s that every school is fighting the hardest for.

Could Trevor Lawrence have made it through Tech? Sure. But there are several categories of prospective student athletes--those that can't make it through at Tech, those that can but aren't disciplined enough to actually do it, those who could but aren't willing to entertain the idea, and those that are interested enough and capable enough and disciplined enough. We need to recruit in the last category, and it's a smaller group.

Top-flight recruiting isn't impossible here, but it is more challenging.

No doubt and not sure how you find those guys that can make it. Maybe it's recruiting more private schools or back to the days of recruiting NY, OH and CA. I think we likely need a mix of local guys and then guys that aren't afraid of getting a top notch, literally Top 30 education for free. Fine line to walk and tough to do, but it can be done.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
While development is indeed far more important than recruiting, you are far more likely to get an acceptable level (high 3*) of production out of highly rated recruits than out of 2* and low 3* recruits. We can all name the exceptions, but we can do that because they are the exceptions. Unless you run a scheme similar to CPJs 3O where you are recruiting entirely different body types that other factories aren't even pursuing, you need to be at least a minor player in recruiting battles to remain relevant in modern P5 football.
Excellent argument. Let's hire Bohannon asap.

Because you are right. A parade of 2 stars or less for Paul's years: Clinton Lynch, Robert Godhigh (unrated), Phil Smith, Tevin Washington, B. J. Bostic (also unrated), Corey Griffin, Ajani Kerr, Jalen Camp, Jahazeil Lee, Sean Tobin, and others. And a whole host of the "low 3 stars" so many here disparage: Shaq Mason, Laskey, Kenny Cooper, Jake Stickler, etc. etc. etc. You can't build a good program without some top rank players, but, with the right coach and scheme, you can build a successful program even with a lot of "poorly rated" recruits who fit what you are doing.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Excellent argument. Let's hire Bohannon asap.

Because you are right. A parade of 2 stars or less for Paul's years: Clinton Lynch, Robert Godhigh (unrated), Phil Smith, Tevin Washington, B. J. Bostic (also unrated), Corey Griffin, Ajani Kerr, Jalen Camp, Jahazeil Lee, Sean Tobin, and others. And a whole host of the "low 3 stars" so many here disparage: Shaq Mason, Laskey, Kenny Cooper, Jake Stickler, etc. etc. etc. You can't build a good program without some top rank players, but, with the right coach and scheme, you can build a successful program even with a lot of "poorly rated" recruits who fit what you are doing.

If we were barely winning 7 games a year with a HOF caliber 3O coach, we won't be winning but 4-5 with any of his disciples most likely. I was as big a 3O and CPJ fan as anyone, but that ship has sailed. I find it highly doubtful that any CPJ disciple is even entertained as a possibility, much less hired.

year_of_the_swarm

Jolly Good Fellow
To be clear, on Coach Prime... His offensive coordinator is Brett Bartolone, who is an Air Raid guy, directly from the Mike Leach coaching tree.

They are 4-0 this year... and have scored:
59 points
16 points
66 points
49 points

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
If we were barely winning 7 games a year with a HOF caliber 3O coach, we won't be winning but 4-5 with any of his disciples most likely. I was as big a 3O and CPJ fan as anyone, but that ship has sailed. I find it highly doubtful that any CPJ disciple is even entertained as a possibility, much less hired.
Yes, and as the parade of successful players listed shows, that is too bad. It also shows an attitude that you wouldn't expect from alums who were taught to look at the evidence first. Bohannon's record says different. But … after all, this is a game.

I like Chadwell for our next up. We'll see.