HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

ChicagobasedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I will say what I always say.

We absolutely will not recruit our way to where we would like to be. We need the smartest coaches, especially on the O side of the ball.
Your point of view might be right but we aren’t hiring Lincoln Riley or Lane Kiffin (i.e., proven offensive gurus) so what coaches could we hire on the offensive side of the ball who fit your description?

Personally, I don’t think we could afford any of the proven P5 level offensive gurus so our best bet is to focus on recruiting and development.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
My own opinion remains quite strong that we need something unique, something distinctively different, to be able to compete in this new world of college football. It could be offensive scheme, something totally unique like Neon Deion, or something else...but it had better be something different. Simply trying to continue the experiment with doing it the same way factories do it will remind us all of Einstein's definition of insanity...

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
My own opinion remains quite strong that we need something unique, something distinctively different, to be able to compete in this new world of college football. It could be offensive scheme, something totally unique like Neon Deion, or something else...but it had better be something different. Simply trying to continue the experiment with doing it the same way factories do it will remind us all of Einstein's definition of insanity...
I was at the Tennessee - Florida game. Heupel runs uptempo and frequently will run no huddle follow ups. With great success.

grandpa jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Ok, I’m probably going to h*** for this, but

More realistically
  • Bill O’Brien
  • Jamey Chadwell
  • Chip Long
  • Brian Harsin
  • Tyson Helton
Feel free to append spelling corrections and other coaches to the thread

The most logical real choice and he would listen is Gus Malzahn, look at his record

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
The most logical real choice and he would listen is Gus Malzahn, look at his record
Gus Malzahn is happy counting his $30M in sunny Florida.

He had a LOT of internal problems at Auburn. He was dismissed because a) the NFL hated his offense and that in turn, affected recruiting, b) he refused to develop players, and c) he was aloof.

No thanks.

grandpa jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Gus Malzahn is happy counting his $30M in sunny Florida.

He had a LOT of internal problems at Auburn. He was dismissed because a) the NFL hated his offense and that in turn, affected recruiting, b) he refused to develop players, and c) he was aloof.

No thanks.
Read his bio, you might change your mind

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Just to give some sense of where the market is.
I'm not going to include Miami since they had a booster willing to really lay out the big bucks.

But both UVA and VT made hires this past season. Both hired coordinators from well-known programs.

For Tony Elliott at UVA, his initial salary is $4.1MM rising to $4.6MM by year 6. Avg is around $4.375 over 6 years.
For Brent Pry at VT, his initial salary is $4.0MM rising to $5MM by year 6. Avg is around $4.6MM per year.
VT also spelled out its support in the document for assistants and support staff.
VT is spending $5.5MM on assistants and $2.25MM on support staff.

Didn't see a breakout for UVA but I believe Mendenhal's staff was around $3MM, so I would expect that to go up.
Also keep in kind that those salary numbers do not include additional money for bonuses for reaching certain marks.

So regardless of who we hire, expect it to cost in the $4MM per year category to sign someone. New coaches are not paid as much on how much they are earning now, but more on where the market is at the level you are moving to.

year_of_the_swarm

Jolly Good Fellow
Head Coach/Play Caller: Eric Morris (Washington State)
Offensive Style: Air Raid
Defensive Coordinator: Lance Guidry (Marshall)
Defensive Style: 4-2-5

1. Eric Morris has led the #1 offense in college football at Texas Tech in 2016
  2. Eric Morris has led the #1 offense in college in FCS at Incarnate Word in 2020
  3. Eric Morris was Southland Conference Coach of the Year in 2018
  4. Eric Morris was Southland Conference Coach of the Year in 2020
  5. Lance Guidry's defense has been #1 in the nation against the run
  6. Lance Guidry's defense has held 5 teams in a single season without an offensive touchdown
  7. Lance Guidry's defense at FAU only allowed 17ppg, and was #9 nationally in total defense

ramblineck

Jolly Good Fellow
Head Coach/Play Caller: Eric Morris (Washington State)
Offensive Style: Air Raid
Defensive Coordinator: Lance Guidry (Marshall)
Defensive Style: 4-2-5

1. Eric Morris has led the #1 offense in college football at Texas Tech in 2016
  2. Eric Morris has led the #1 offense in college in FCS at Incarnate Word in 2020
  3. Eric Morris was Southland Conference Coach of the Year in 2018
  4. Eric Morris was Southland Conference Coach of the Year in 2020
  5. Lance Guidry's defense has been #1 in the nation against the run
  6. Lance Guidry's defense has held 5 teams in a single season without an offensive touchdown
  7. Lance Guidry's defense at FAU only allowed 17ppg, and was #9 nationally in total defense
sounds nice but is this reality?

year_of_the_swarm

Jolly Good Fellow
sounds nice but is this reality?

If Georgia Tech can't hire Eric Morris from Washington State and Lance Guidry (as Associate Head Coach) from Marshall.... I think we'd have a problem. These should be guys you can get. Under the radar but with sneaky great credentials and primed for a job like this.. Lance has recruited the south heavily, and Eric Morris has recruited Texas heavily for a long time.

The more I thought about it, the more perfect these guys are.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
Tech is already pregnant. Might as well birth the baby.
I hope it's twins!

hawkeye football GIF by University of Iowa Hawkeyes Athletics

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
. New coaches are not paid as much on how much they are earning now, but more on where the market is at the level you are moving to.
not surprised the coaches caught up...it's been that way for QB's, LT's and edge rushers for quite some time now. ;)

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
I.E. We're like every other fanbase in America.
I would say GT grads are a bit different in that we have more fans with an elevated sense that we always know best from our success in school and in our career. Unfortunately, many think that translates into being able to assess and determine who the best coach should be. Yes, all programs have fans who fight for their personal choice. And, yes, we have fans who succumb to groupthink, but I think we are also more independent in our thinking and thus willing to argue for our personal position more than mindless sheep at other programs.