HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Huff will probably get an interview as the politically correct part of any search. Not sure about the “fit?” He has a reputation as a fine recruiter.
I have never heard of the guy until I read the link provided by @Techster above. Since he is an unknown for the most part (the author of the article was pretty high on him btw) what concerns you about the "fit"? BTW, I thought the artcle was spot on. My only negative reaction to hose names came from Dan Mullen. I struggle with how a guy did just okay at a school with UF's staure and resources would do well at a place like GT.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
A new day is dawning. I’m a little different than most. With the right AD and coach, this thing could turn around quickly. Bring in a good QB and maybe a dozen or so good portal linemen. Lots of institutional support, and we could be winning in a short while.

I may have become gun shy but do good OL exist in the portal?????

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Who's got the guys to put out a 'heyul nawl' HC list of guys you don't want?

I lost the ability to do it since I did one for bball and ... well let's just say I got some serious karma....

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
A new day is dawning. I’m a little different than most. With the right AD and coach, this thing could turn around quickly. Bring in a good QB and maybe a dozen or so good portal linemen. Lots of institutional support, and we could be winning in a short while.
And, if I looked anything at all like Brad Pitt...

All those good OL from the portal? And a maybe a 5* QB? While this is happening we might as well get the uga DL to transfer to Atlanta.

slugboy

Staff member
Huff will probably get an interview as the politically correct part of any search. Not sure about the “fit?” He has a reputation as a fine recruiter.
Huff's Marshall team beat Notre Dame this year, but lost to Troy and Bowling Green. I'm excited for a coach that can get the big win, but I'm tired of losing to teams you shouldn't lose to.

==========
I put this in another thread, but it belongs here:
I was feeling sarcastic and was going to say "if we can't score more than 10 points, we should get Iowa's DC so that we can win 10-7". (yeah, I guess I just did say that).

However, here are some non-factories with top 30 FEI defense ratings:
2. Oklahoma State (well, ok, they're a factory)
8. Cincinnati (ok, a factory for G5)
9. Baylor
12. NC State
14. San Diego State
16. Kansas State (ok, not an academic powerhouse)
18. Pittsburgh
21. Utah (ok, a Pac12 kinda factory-lite)
22. Iowa State
23. Boise State
25. Washington State
26. Purdue
27. Houston (I think of them as an OFFENSIVE school ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ )
29. Arizona State
30. Illinois

You'd think one of those schools has a DC or defensive assistant that would make sense.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
One of the guys I see almost daily at the golf course is a retired coach. He keeps in contact with his buddies, many of which are still coaching. (None at factories ... all are at smaller schools.)

He said all of them are re-organizing to do two things: 1) less high school recruiting and far more portal use. The goal is to assemble a new team every 12 months. Nobody has the money to spend recruiting only to see them leave after a year. 2) develop into a feeder program. They are creating relationships with bigger schools and basically, developing players for years 1-2 and will watch them transfer out in years 3-4. They think it's going happen anyway, so they have to plan for how to field a team consistently.

I would not doubt it at all to see a school like Auburn build a strength and conditioning facility at a school like South Alabama or Southern Miss if it meant that there were developing players that "could" be pulled if they needed them. Basically ... calling someone up from the minors.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Huff's Marshall team beat Notre Dame this year, but lost to Troy and Bowling Green. I'm excited for a coach that can get the big win, but I'm tired of losing to teams you shouldn't lose to.

==========
I put this in another thread, but it belongs here:
I was feeling sarcastic and was going to say "if we can't score more than 10 points, we should get Iowa's DC so that we can win 10-7". (yeah, I guess I just did say that).

However, here are some non-factories with top 30 FEI defense ratings:
2. Oklahoma State (well, ok, they're a factory)
8. Cincinnati (ok, a factory for G5)
9. Baylor
12. NC State
14. San Diego State
16. Kansas State (ok, not an academic powerhouse)
18. Pittsburgh
21. Utah (ok, a Pac12 kinda factory-lite)
22. Iowa State
23. Boise State
25. Washington State
26. Purdue
27. Houston (I think of them as an OFFENSIVE school ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ )
29. Arizona State
30. Illinois

You'd think one of those schools has a DC or defensive assistant that would make sense.
TStan just raised $175M as part of it's NFL-lite strategy. One would think they would go after NFL assistants who can help tell that story.

slugboy

Staff member
Any thoughts on Clay Helton?
Not Bad Shark Tank GIF by ABC Network

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
I have never heard of the guy until I read the link provided by @Techster above. Since he is an unknown for the most part (the author of the article was pretty high on him btw) what concerns you about the "fit"? BTW, I thought the artcle was spot on. My only negative reaction to hose names came from Dan Mullen. I struggle with how a guy did just okay at a school with UF's staure and resources would do well at a place like GT.
The “fit” is trying to deal with a more limited curriculum compared with the places he’s recruited to in the past. The AD and the fan base cannot give him 7 years to fit in on a first major HC job(P5).

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
The only point I'd quibble with is how much influence BOB had on two future NFL QBs in his two seasons at PSU, but other than that, I agree BOB is worth a look.
Apparently BOB is making 3.5 million currently. Certainly it will take more than that to hire him away. Any thoughts on the cost of CGC buyout limiting our ability to afford coaches such as BOB ? i.e. "The Hewitt Effect" ???

LawTalkin Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I am 1000% with Deion. With regard to him being a "recruiter only," keep in mind that he is recruiting to Jackson MS, an HBCU, so he is not really looking for ALL available players out there, but those who want to be at an HBCU, or who would consider it versus the FSUs etc. Also, the town of Jackson has no water, so he is asking kids to move to a town that doesn't appear to be that appealing (apologies for anyone who knows better, I have never been), and he is also getting very good assistants to come to Jackson for little money. He will certainly be able to get better assistants in Atlanta - they get to work with Deion and not have to live in MS, so they may take less money than otherwise. Not to mention traveling from Jackson for recruiting must be miserable versus the ATL airport.

TRimes have changed, we don't know Deion's scheme because we don't watch Jackson St games, but look at his win totals and if you say "he just has better talent," then give him credit for getting better talent which is half of being a HC. He is better in the NIL era than others and we want someone who can win in NIL era, not someone who has no experience at NIL (Deion has a ton of personal experience) like some of the mid-major coaches being discussed. His life experiences are a major draw for kids who need guidance with NIL, etc. AND, he makes kids go to class and education seems really important to him.

I think Jackson St. gives him a share of the ticket sale $, we should consider that, along with a share of TV money or whatever extra we get from going bowling or ACC title, etc. Make him a business partner.

Otherwise, what about Derek Mason? Dude probably deserves another chance, although not a sexy hire for sure.