HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

Techster

Helluva Engineer
This is my list I wrote from last Monday:

TIER 1
Jamey Chadwell (HC Coastal Carolina)
Jeff Lebby (OC Oklahoma)
Bill O'Brien (OC Alabama/fmr HC Penn State & Texans)

TIER 2
KC Keeler (HC Sam Houston State)
*Look this guy up. He's just a winner, and he wins big.
Dan Mullen (ex UF/Miss St HC)
Mike Houston (HC East Carolina/fmr HC James Madison)
*BIG winner everywhere, and is now turning around an ECU program that was basically run into the ground. Almost beat #12 NC State this year.

One other name I added later, and I'd put him VERY high on Tier 2 is Curt Cignetti of James Madison.

Another name to add to the list of candidates: James Madison's Curt Cignetti.

Pure winner wherever he goes. Just beat App State, and beat the breaks off of MTSU who is beating Miami pretty badly in the 4th qtr right now.

Was a WR coach/Recruiting coordinator for 'Bama from 2007-2011 so has experience recruiting the South.

Great coaching record at IUPUI his first HC job, had a short stay at Elon, then his James Madison resume is incredible. First year went to the FCS Championship Game, Semifinals the next two seasons. JMU moved up to Sun Belt this year and JMU is currently 3-0. His record at JMU is 35-5, and 18-2 in conference with three first place finishes.

Definitely worth a look.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
This is true, but they only took 8 players, and he hit the transfer portal HARD, grabbing four former four star recruits and a whole host of high three stars, as JSU came into the cycle looking to play the portal not the traditional recruiting game, which is another pro of Deion, he plays the portal game REAL well.

So did Collins though. His HS recruiting was mostly just above average but he was able to grab a bunch of 4 stars/former 4 stars from the portal. It doesn't seem like a great strategy for us so far and I personally think we are going to be in major trouble next year and the year after because of how heavily we relied on it. There's lots of positions where young guys aren't getting meaningful snaps because we bring in too many dudes with 1-2 years of eligibility to get immediate depth.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
You realize he coached the two years following the NCAA death penalty? He had to deal with reduced scholarships, 15 players transferring out (at a time when there was no transfer portal) and an entire country essentially hoping for them to fail.

Coming into the 2013 season BOB would only have 67 scholarship players to use. I can't find info on the 2012 roster, but I'm pretty sure it was in the 60's as well. Keep in mind, FCS teams get 63.

I don't think BOB should be our coach, but he dealt with a bigger disaster at Penn St than Collins did coming in to GT, and BOB performed better.
I had forgotten about that. Considering those scholarship losses, those aren’t bad seasons. So I stand corrected on the PSU point. Another problem I have with him is him being the worst OC Alabama has had in 10 years, and if he was such a great coach I’m curious why he went to be an OC at Alabama instead of landing another G5 or small P5 HC position?

JacketFan137

Banned
Please, explain what exactly I "slanted". You're making these statements without backing anything up. What nuance am I missing that would shed a poor light on those facts.
“He's since OC'd the Patriots (with the notoriously picky Belichek and Brady)”

irrelevant. adam gase was an oc with peyton manning and one of the worst head coaches i’ve ever seen.

“turned two QBs at Penn State into NFL QBs”

two of the worst qbs that made it to the nfl. hackenberg and mcgloin is hardly something to brag about on a resume

“won his division in the NFL 4 out of 7 years with the Texans, with only 1 losing season out of 7 full years”

not wrong but never won the big game 2-4 in the playoffs and you’ve conveniently left off that he was about to have an absolutely awful 2020 but got fired while he was 0-4 LMFAO

“and now he's operating one of the most efficient offenses in the college and coached a Heisman winner. Coaches do evolve over time.”

i guess credit for doing what he’s supposed to? bama fans are about done with him and feel like he’s wasting a lot of potential on their team. you seem to have your mind made up so it won’t convince you but it’s been VERY hard to be impressed with what he’s done at bama

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
A lot of good coaches being mentioned, I would hesitate to hire any west coast or non southern coach. Look at Harsin at Auburn. I thought Harsin was a good coach at Boise, but he is totally out of his comfort zone at auburn. Might be a good idea to hire a guy that is comfortable with the ACC or Atlanta in general. Just my 2 cents.

JacketFan137

Banned
A lot of good coaches being mentioned, I would hesitate to hire any west coast or non southern coach. Look at Harsin at Auburn. I thought Harsin was a good coach at Boise, but he is totally out of his comfort zone at auburn. Might be a good idea to hire a guy that is comfortable with the ACC or Atlanta in general. Just my 2 cents.
i think it’s a different kind of recruiting and athlete in the south vs out west. i agree that it’s something to consider

DiffusedAcorn

Jolly Good Fellow
So did Collins though. His HS recruiting was mostly just above average but he was able to grab a bunch of 4 stars/former 4 stars from the portal. It doesn't seem like a great strategy for us so far and I personally think we are going to be in major trouble next year and the year after because of how heavily we relied on it. There's lots of positions where young guys aren't getting meaningful snaps because we bring in too many dudes with 1-2 years of eligibility to get immediate depth.
This would be a very true and valid concern if Deion were to just recruit average. He had a top 75 class at an HBCU, that is anything but average.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
Do explain what YOU mean by "schematic advantage".

Friedgen had a schematic advantage. Gailey had a schematic advantage. CPJ had a schematic advantage. If you mean the "triple option", then you are wrong. Only one of those coaches ran the "triple option".

A certain segment of our fan base thinks "schematic advantage" was a concept that didn't exist until CPJ came here in 2008 and therefore have a hard time separating the two despite it being a thing for over hundred years.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
BOB has not done anything to prove that he is a good college coach. going 8-4 and 7-5 at Penn state
That was in the wake of the Sandusky-induced end for Joe Pa and the huge turmoil that created there. He did one helluva job navigating the program and the fan base through that unmitigated disaster.
I'd take a flyer on him.

My tops:
Chadwell, who has recruited Georgia
Monken (either Todd or Jeff). Both now have strong ties to the state
Deion. Why not?
I'm lukewarm on Tyson Helton.
then O'Brien. besides, it will give us great a Seinfeld meme to use.