HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

Techster

Helluva Engineer
You realize he coached the two years following the NCAA death penalty? He had to deal with reduced scholarships, 15 players transferring out (at a time when there was no transfer portal) and an entire country essentially hoping for them to fail.

Coming into the 2013 season BOB would only have 67 scholarship players to use. I can't find info on the 2012 roster, but I'm pretty sure it was in the 60's as well. Keep in mind, FCS teams get 63.

I don't think BOB should be our coach, but he dealt with a bigger disaster at Penn St than Collins did coming in to GT, and BOB performed better.

O'Brien was playing walk ons and freshmen heavily that first year and second year at PSU. He never had a losing season his 2 years at PSU. People in coaching circles respect O'Brien, and he's hard nosed winner. He's also VERY smart...a graduate of Brown. He's been at Bama long enough to apply Saban's system at his next stop.

O'Brien is more of a college coach than pro coach...although he was a good coordinator for the Patriots. He was actually a pretty good pro head coach, he just had control issues and would trade any player who didn't agree with him...even his top end players (which is what ultimately got him fired). That doesn't fly in the NFL, but in college those are the best types of coaches. (See Saban, O'Leary).

IMO, he should be a Tier 1 coaching candidate.

EDIT: I'll also add, O'Brien also talked a 5 star QB into coming and playing for PSU during that how Paterno debacle. QBs and skill players will lineup to play for him...I'm sure he was a factor in Jahmyr Gibbs going to 'Bama.

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Just a few years ago everyone wanted Monken , not seeing that talk anymore....
Jeff has won 9 games each of the past two years, and 9+ in 4 of the last 5 at Army. Prior to Jeff, Army had not won 9 games in a season since 1996.

From 1967-2018, Army won 8 or more games 5 times. Jeff Monken has won 8 or more games there in 5 of the past 6 years, including seasons with 10 and 11 wins.

I’m not sure Jeff should be the hire, but he should be on the list. Given Jeff’s accomplishments, we are in NO position to turn up our nose at him.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Ok who is starting the go fund me for the 'can't say no' offer to Deion? If we get him, we are back in the conversation for getting legitimate bigtime recruits if the hill is willing to start making concessions. Don't think we hire Deion without bigtime shifts for academic requirements, get calculus requirements out, etc.
This time around, someone needs to get the Hills attention or it may be the last time around

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I’m scared to go with another “but he can recruit“ HC.
I understand, but because we made the mistake of zigging when we should have zagged, we shouldn't make the mirror image mistake of zagging when we should be zigging. We do need recruiting. Deion differs from Collins in a lot of ways, especially in discipline and inspiration and communication. We shouldn't shy away from him because he's a recruiter. But I get the hesitation. Main thing with me is we don't know how well he can develop players. That's where we would be rolling the dice.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
For Monken and Bohannon fans, I'm going to venture that they don't even make make any HC candidate list. Also, they probably have heard enough from CPJ about the inner workings of GT that they probably wouldn't come here anyhow.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Oh. All I see referenced to him is he loves kids, celebrities, hollywood, rappers, nike, on and on.

Everyone else mentioned has their coaching resumes described. Maybe he's great - i don't know.

So far he's 19-5 as a head coach at JSU. No coach has had a winning record there since 2013.

Maybe you should do some research on him. You might be amazed.

Creative

Georgia Tech Fan
Ok who is starting the go fund me for the 'can't say no' offer to Deion? If we get him, we are back in the conversation for getting legitimate bigtime recruits if the hill is willing to start making concessions. Don't think we hire Deion without bigtime shifts for academic requirements, get calculus requirements out, etc.
Does anyone know if we’ve ALWAYS had the calculus requirement? I had always heard that went away during the O’Leary days, but that may be misremembering

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
Still lost the Celebration bowl by 3 TDs. Can't hang with well coached teams even with his talent advantage. Maybe if he can break 20 rushing yards if he makes it this year we should look at him lol

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Just sayin', but Collins is the only one to be nominated for the Broyles Award at three different schools:

"He is the only coach to ever be nominated for the Broyles Award, given to college football’s top assistant coach, at three different schools (FIU – 2010, Mississippi State – 2014 and Florida – 2015)."
That can’t be the same guy.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
There's a LOT of reason to believe Deion would be successful here.

A "LOT" of reasons? I'd disagree. So far all I've heard to back that up is "media attention" (disappears if you don't win), he'll get recruits (no proof his recruiting philosophy at Jackson State works at GT),

I REALLY hope we do our research on Deion. He's an Atlanta legend, and would absolutely get us a boatload of media attention. But I'm a firm believer that GT needs a guy who gives us a schematic advantage. All of this talk about Deion has centered on "making a splash" or "recruiting"...I have yet to see anyone talk about Deion's schemes and how it would translate at the P5 level. GT is not out athleteing many (if any) P5 programs...we just fired a coach that has the 5th ranked most talented roster in the ACC according to 247. Would Deion get similar or improve on that? That's a VERY expensive question to answer if we hire Deion.

Like I said in another thread, I don't hate the idea of Deion, but I just rather go the Warren Buffet route. Hire a good proven coach regardless of "splash" factor, watch him win every year, and grow our program from the inside out instead of hoping all the "splash" from the outside will get us somewhere. I don't make the decisions, so that's just my $0.02.