HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
Skeptical Deion would come here... he's got a good thing going on at Jackson State, you know, building an HBCU legacy type of thing so he's got a bigger vision to fulfil there. Plus wouldn't he want to see through his son play and graduate from there, while still being a coach there?

Urban Meyer... this would be interesting as unrealistic as it is... yeah he's got NFL baggage but he's been a winner in every college position he's had. Plus he's got connection to Tech (sorta).

DiffusedAcorn

Jolly Good Fellow
if you are talking about Jeff Monken, I would take him in a heart beat. but no one is going to consider him just because of triple option and everything goes along with that. even tho he said he's not married to the option.
If you're going with a traditional triple option coach, I'd say that Bohannon is the better choice, I personally don't think we should go back to that scheme though.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
if you are talking about Jeff Monken, I would take him in a heart beat. but no one is going to consider him just because of triple option and everything goes along with that. even tho he said he's not married to the option.
Yeah, we had a fractured fabase for over a decade under Johnson due to his scheme. I don't think many (the vast majority?) want want half of GT's remaining fans constantly whining again about how we're not running an offense designed for Calvin Johnson.

I'm just praying we'll hire a coach that plays hard nosed & smart football. We're going to have games where we can't overcome the talent gap, but damn it's annoying when we're softer than a roll of Charmin and dumb as a box of rocks

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck
If you're going with a traditional triple option coach, I'd say that Bohannon is the better choice, I personally don't think we should go back to that scheme though.
I wouldn't hate Bohannon, but id still rather have Monken. Army did throw for over 300 yards 2 games ago. like I said, Monken isn't married to the option like everyone thinks he is. He's just a really solid coach. even CPJ said he would be successful anywhere because he's so organized. I don't think he will even get a look. it is what it is at this point.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
The college football landscape has seen a major paradigm shift since CGC was hired. With the portal creating unrestricted one time free agency, and the NIL being leveraged to pay players directly, recruiting as was done traditionally has maybe less value than it used to and now it's more about leveraging money to buy classes. Deion would be the single best hire to work this angle, IMO. Chadwell's scheme intrigues me, and I wouldn't be opposed, but we should make Deion turn down a LOT of money from us first.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Dabo was never a coordinator until the last half season he was an assistant. He was a position coach all his career until then.

If we're gonna go the Dabo and Sam Pittman route, you better give that coach $1.5 - $2 million per coordinator. That's the neighborhood Dabo was giving to guys like Chad Morris/Brent Venables/Tony Elliott, and Sam Pittman is giving Kendal Briles ($1.25 mill) and Barry Odom ($1.85 mill). That's not including position coaches and recruiting staff...oh, and the head coach's salaries. Can GT make that work financially? I don't think that's a sustainable model for GT.

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
You might want to check out their from this past weekend. They used four wide, five wide, I, double slot. Plus they don’t huddle.

slugboy

Staff member
If you want to get an idea of some of the assistants out there, you can look at past Broyles award winners. There are a large number to sift through.

Tashard Choice was one of the ACC nominees for last season.

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck
That wouldn’t be the case most likely. FSU isn’t opening this year with Norvell appearing to turn a corner, he doesn’t want to deal with the auburn boosters and the culture they have over the program. Deion really loves the city of Atlanta and knows he could turn a lot of heads and create a buzz around this program due to the city of Atlanta and his media attention.

Maybe this works out, IDK. But, a celebrity hire to create buzz scares me a bit.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
One of the considerations should be the ability to find and recruit effectively in the South. Obviously a lot of the ones mentioned on these listshave that. So I do think that is a consideration. But not as important as to be able to coach kids up since we will not be able to get 4 and 5 stars on any regular basis.