HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Is he saying his son might not be a welcome transfer to a prospective P-5 school?
It seems that way. I haven't watched him play, but he was a composite 4 star in high school, so I'm not sure if Deion really believes that or he has some other goal in mind with bringing it up.

malak05

Jolly Good Fellow
I mean his son had big offers across the board of Power 5 programs up to the Alabama and Georgia of the world so ummm yeah if you come coach at GT yeah I think most believe your son should transfer with you and come on along and has the talent to be the best QB on our Roster and top of the ACC as that goes too

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I mean his son had big offers across the board of Power 5 programs up to the Alabama and Georgia of the world so ummm yeah if you come coach at GT yeah I think most believe your son should transfer with you and come on along and has the talent to be the best QB on our Roster and top of the ACC as that goes too
If the Hill approves. Tech has higher standards. Just sayin".

I would say slugboy probably has it right, though. He probably was referring to HBCU's being considered for the NFL, but the article was unclear.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Before Alabama hired Saban, they’d been in the wilderness for a while. Since I’m not an Alabama insider, I don’t know if they had all the plans to build what they have when they hired Saban, but I don’t think so—I think Saban turned Bama into what they are today. Either they were extremely foresighted and picked well, or they saw that the best college coach around was going to be available, and when they hired him he set about to re-engineer all their athletics and how their AA works.

I think it’s the latter case, and Alabama got much more than they expected with Saban.

Alabama’s AA seemed pretty dysfunctional and booster-controlled before they hired Saban—like ours, but with a lot more money.

We’re in the wilderness right now, and we’re much more lost than Alabama was. We can’t really count on the result Alabama got without being disciplined and savvy.

For each of these coaches that we’re excited about, what happens to our program if we hire them? Who would be a part of really rebuilding our program? Who would do something like Saban did and get the program aligned and tune out the noise?

I think we underestimate how important the AD hire is—we need someone who will straighten out that organization and plan smarter than our previous ADs did. I also think we’re ignoring or overlooking important head coach abilities that we need.

We did get a hint how Cabrera and Neville are thinking when Neville used Tennessee as an example. We should look for our process to be like their process.
This is one reason why I think Neville may end up as the next AD. I'm sure he doesn't want the job and I'm also sure that we won't find someone better at it then he will be. Most ADs don't think strategically; they are very driven by what the Big Donors™ want and what will get wins at once. This is understandable, but, as you say, it is definitely not what Tech needs now.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
It wouldn't hurt to call and see if he's interested. I also like Chadwell and Coach Prime. But Prime scares me a little. I'm afraid that if he's successful he would leave in 2-3 years.
That would be a very good scenario. Our reputation would be improved, and we’d probably get some buyout money. We’d be in a much better place reputation-wise and financially than we are now, so we’d have more options available to try to hire the next head coach.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Deions son has very very good stats so far in his year plus 4 games in college. Don’t know where I saw the stats but they were insanely good, the kid can play. Granted it’s against less competition but he can flat out ball.
It does make me wonder how QB recruiting would be affected. I could see a lot of recruits not feeling like they would get a fair shot when the coach's son is also QB.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Is he saying his son might not be a welcome transfer to a prospective P-5 school?
No, he’s saying NFL teams should look at QBs from HBCU’s.

I believe Sanders is just making a reference to his belief that his son, the QB for Jackson state, should be considered in the Heisman race and should be getting talked about as such and that if he, meaning Deion, is good enough to be considered for a P5 job from the HBCU level then his son should also be good enough to be considered in the Heisman race from the HBCU level as well.

Now, I'm not saying that's a good argument, because it isn't really talking about comparable things, but I think it has more to do with that than being considered for either as a transfer or in the draft. Shedeur was a 4* on 247 composite with reported offers from everyone from GT to Alabama in P5 conferences. So his son was already viewed as good enough as a player to be at the level that he is now being talked about as a coach.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
It does make me wonder how QB recruiting would be affected. I could see a lot of recruits not feeling like they would get a fair shot when the coach's son is also QB.
Shedeur will be a junior (Covid sophomore) next year. He may only play one more season.

JacketFan137

Banned
That would be a very good scenario. Our reputation would be improved, and we’d probably get some buyout money. We’d be in a much better place reputation-wise and financially than we are now, so we’d have more options available to try to hire the next head coach.
if prime is gone in 2 or 3 years that would mean we had a lot of fun for that time period. he would not be getting interest going 6-6

CrackerJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I was on the Prime Time bandwagon early, but not so much now. He doesn't have to worry much about keeping players academically eligible where he is. That wouldn't be the case at GT.
And I really don't want BOB. I watched him destroy the Houston Texan roster. It'll take a decade for them to climb out of the BOB crater. There's gotta be other good candidates we could persuade to take the job - Chadwell, Huff, Monken (UGa), Monken (Army), or Tom Herman, to name a few.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
if prime is gone in 2 or 3 years that would mean we had a lot of fun for that time period. he would not be getting interest going 6-6
1. Unless he’s part of a major scandal, some school will always have interest in Prime Time.
2. If he does poorly, he will only need to read our posts on GT Swarm in order to have a million excuses as to why it’s nearly impossible to coach sports here.

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
Shedeur Sanders stats:

2021: 272/413, 65.9% Completion percentage, 3,231 yards, 7.8 AVG yards per completion, 30 passing touchdowns, 8 interceptions,151.7 Rating, 3 rushing touchdowns

2022 so far: 120/159, 75.5% completion percentage, 1,381 yards, 8.7 yards per completion, 14 passing touchdowns, 1 interception, 176.2 rating, 2 rushing touchdowns

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
Shedeur Sanders stats:

2021: 272/413, 65.9% Completion percentage, 3,231 yards, 7.8 AVG yards per completion, 30 passing touchdowns, 8 interceptions,151.7 Rating, 3 rushing touchdowns

2022 so far: 120/159, 75.5% completion percentage, 1,381 yards, 8.7 yards per completion, 14 passing touchdowns, 1 interception, 176.2 rating, 2 rushing touchdowns
We’d get 2 for 1 with Deion!

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Shedeur Sanders stats:

Man. And it's not like we couldn't use some of that. I'll bet he gets better blocking at Jackson St., though.