HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
Just wondering - if this scenario is correct, then perhaps Batt also wants to delay in order to keep the existing staff on the recruiting trail as long as practical. Maybe unethical if he's already decided not to keep Key, but I've seen worse.
If they're on the payroll, they need to keep recruiting till the end.

bigrabbit

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't disagree but rather than open against Alcorn State, open against Vandy. Sprinkle in an Ole Miss, a Kentucky (or better yet, Auburn) and recruit where you are seen. Recruits from Georgia don't care if we play Boston College.
I hear you and it makes sense, but we’ve had some pretty good games to open our seasons recently.

Clemson plays mostly the same people we do and it hasn’t exactly held them back, has it?

Otoh Vandy plays everyone you think is key to football success - but we hope we don’t end up being another perennial doormat like Vandy.

I’m blessed to be barely young enough to have zero SEC envy. We were in the SEC forever ago, different time, different school, different society, different football, we’ll never be in the SEC again and one academic powerhouse/lousy football team (Vandy) is probably enough for the SEC.

The other SEC schools, besides Vandy, are completely different from us in all regards - bigger, less competitive academics, hick towns/states without pro sports, etc. Auburn is a safety school for Atlanta area kids who hope to go to UGA. UGA is a safety school for kids who hope to go to GT. My kid has a friend in UGA honors college who didn’t get into GT. I understand not being crazy about the ACC, especially financially, but for now we’re lucky to be in a space where we can be competitive with similar schools.

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
Auburn is going big for their next HC based on what I’m hearing. They won’t be competing with us for candidates.

Gtech24

Jolly Good Fellow
Auburn is going big for their next HC based on what I’m hearing. They won’t be competing with us for candidates.
Do you still think it’s Chadwell, Clark, or Houston for us? I’m also hearing Fritz’s name getting tossed around

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
Do you still think it’s Chadwell, Clark, or Houston for us? I’m also hearing Fritz’s name getting tossed around
I know Fritz’s name was thrown around last time. I think his age is a concern. My best guess on the top for 4 candidates in no order: Jamey Chadwell, Bill Clark, Mike Houston, Bill O’Brien.

Gtech24

Jolly Good Fellow
I want Clark...I have to think the longer this goes on though the less likely it is him. If he is the guy, we would want to announce it asap for recruiting purposes. Since he is not coaching currently there are no reasons we couldn't hire him now.

The only thing Im not sure about is whether we have to wait until after the regular season to interview some candidates like Houston and Chadwell. If that is the case, then its worth waiting to make the final decision.

slugboy

Staff member
I want Clark...I have to think the longer this goes on though the less likely it is him. If he is the guy, we would want to announce it asap for recruiting purposes. Since he is not coaching currently there are no reasons we couldn't hire him now.

The only thing Im not sure about is whether we have to wait until after the regular season to interview some candidates like Houston and Chadwell. If that is the case, then its worth waiting to make the final decision.

The NFL has rules on when you can interview coaches--I don't know of any such restrictions in college football. I don't think there are any.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I know Fritz’s name was thrown around last time. I think his age is a concern. My best guess on the top for 4 candidates in no order: Jamey Chadwell, Bill Clark, Mike Houston, Bill O’Brien.
Clark, apparently, wants the job but GT isn't interested.

I suspect Chadwell will not get a look nor any coach from the Sun Belt (or FCS). Harsin, beyond his W-L record, was a disaster recruiting because he simply didn't know ANYONE in the area, had no connections, and was completely tone deaf to the community. I think Batt is well aware of this and wants to set someone up for success, not failure.

My SEC theory (which several have opined on) was/is that if you want to recruit in THIS area, you need someone from THIS area and who knows all the schools and universities. (Harsin didn't have a clue.)

One poster replied that "OK, that's nice, but we are NOT in the Top Tier programs and probably won't ever be but we can compete against our peers and have a nice run at it.) (Paraphrased ... but that's my interpretation.)

Which got me to thinking (always dangerous). If we don't think we can out-recruit HERE, another option might be to out-recruit THERE. And I'm thinking Northern OH, Pennsylvania and DMV. We don' have near the perception problem as we do here, and ... the weather is nicer and players will be able to play against players they know. It certainly addresses some of our constraints.

So, it makes sense to hire a coach with a pedigree from that area and potentially, open a recruiting office there. Tennessee used that to win the Natty in 1998 by recruiting heavily in SoCal, not in TN.

Just a thought.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Clark, apparently, wants the job but GT isn't interested.

I suspect Chadwell will not get a look nor any coach from the Sun Belt (or FCS). Harsin, beyond his W-L record, was a disaster recruiting because he simply didn't know ANYONE in the area, had no connections, and was completely tone deaf to the community. I think Batt is well aware of this and wants to set someone up for success, not failure.

My SEC theory (which several have opined on) was/is that if you want to recruit in THIS area, you need someone from THIS area and who knows all the schools and universities. (Harsin didn't have a clue.)

One poster replied that "OK, that's nice, but we are NOT in the Top Tier programs and probably won't ever be but we can compete against our peers and have a nice run at it.) (Paraphrased ... but that's my interpretation.)

Which got me to thinking (always dangerous). If we don't think we can out-recruit HERE, another option might be to out-recruit THERE. And I'm thinking Northern OH, Pennsylvania and DMV. We don' have near the perception problem as we do here, and ... the weather is nicer and players will be able to play against players they know. It certainly addresses some of our constraints.

So, it makes sense to hire a coach with a pedigree from that area and potentially, open a recruiting office there. Tennessee used that to win the Natty in 1998 by recruiting heavily in SoCal, not in TN.

Just a thought.
I'm not sure what Harsin knowing nobody in the area has to do with Chadwell, Chadwell is from the South and recruits many of the same schools we do.

I do agree about recruiting up north though, we've had a number of really talented players come from that area.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I'm not sure what Harsin knowing nobody in the area has to do with Chadwell, Chadwell is from the South and recruits many of the same schools we do.

I do agree about recruiting up north though, we've had a number of really talented players come from that area.
For recruiting it takes someone the high school coaches know and like. Mack Brown went around the state of NC the first time through UNC and built relationships with the HS coaches. It really boosted his recruiting.
It really helps recruiting to at least have them know who you are and how you will treat the kids in the program. A good communicator on what you have to offer is a must--- without gimmicks. A lot of the kids parents like what GT offers for the future. Sell them too.