HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
I wouldnt classify the Coastal defense as "broken" but it could definitely use some fixing lol. Currently ranked 94th in total defense and 75th in scoring defense.
Yeah, we need a definition of broken on this.

I would say it is broken because it is not very good.

Also, I have never been a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" kind of person. I am more of a "if you are going to do something, do it right, regardless if you had some success doing it your own stupid way" kind of person.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
The only downside I see to Clark is he's 54 and coming off of health issues. There's a LOT of heavy lifting to be done at GT, will he be up to it...but more importantly, can he bring in a young staff that can take off running from Day 1 since he's been out of coaching? Coaching has become a young person's game.

In terms of Chadwell, I'm not worried about P5 experience. It's over played. IMO, that's just a "concern" someone has to ding a candidate. I'd be more concerned about his defense...and that has nothing to do with P5 experience.

inGTwetrust

Ramblin' Wreck
I stand by Mullen as my top choice. But if there is no steam …

HC: Bill Clark
OC: Willy Korn

I could absolutely get behind this. Anyone know about Clark and if he has an OC he is tied to or could we try to poach the best of both worlds?

JacketFan137

Banned
The only downside I see to Clark is he's 54 and coming off of health issues. There's a LOT of heavy lifting to be done at GT, will he be up to it...but more importantly, can he bring in a young staff that can take off running from Day 1 since he's been out of coaching? Coaching has become a young person's game.

In terms of Chadwell, I'm not worried about P5 experience. It's over played. IMO, that's just a "concern" someone has to ding a candidate. I'd be more concerned about his defense...and that has nothing to do with P5 experience.
p5 vs g5 is a pretty big jump. we were awful in 2021 and played a game down to the wire against a team that won a g5 conference and lost a 1 score thriller to coastal carolina in the bowl game

the difference in recruiting, the atmospheres you play in and the stakes are way higher as there is more attention on you, and in conference you aren’t getting the gimme’s that you get in those conferences.

lack of p5 experience isn’t going to be the sole deciding factor of whether or not we are good but for a coach coming in with an already mediocre defensive record, it would certainly be nice if he had a p5 dc on the staff

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer

I could absolutely get behind this. Anyone know about Clark and if he has an OC he is tied to or could we try to poach the best of both worlds?
IMO, if you’re gonna go the Chadwell tree route, you have to get the top dog. Only getting Korn means you’re getting the neutered version of the dog. Yeah it might look the same, but it’s not going to have any balls.

Plus, Clark is a veteran. He’s been coaching a long time, and probably made some really good connections. If we hired him, you have to trust him to build his own staff.

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer

Korn will either follow Chadwell to a P5 job or take the HC job if offered at Coastal once Chadwell leaves. I don’t believe he jumps away from Chadwell.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I wouldnt classify the Coastal defense as "broken" but it could definitely use some fixing lol. Currently ranked 94th in total defense and 75th in scoring defense.
It’s because they practice against the option… lol. I’ll agree, his defense needs some work… in the secondary for sure.

I am liking our defense lately…

Gtech50

Ramblin' Wreck
If Chadwell is our guy I trust him even if he decides to bring his whole staff. I dont like it but I also dont know anything about coaching. It did not work out for Collins when he brought his Temple staff, but Chadwell is a much better coach and has proven that.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
p5 vs g5 is a pretty big jump. we were awful in 2021 and played a game down to the wire against a team that won a g5 conference and lost a 1 score thriller to coastal carolina in the bowl game

the difference in recruiting, the atmospheres you play in and the stakes are way higher as there is more attention on you, and in conference you aren’t getting the gimme’s that you get in those conferences.

lack of p5 experience isn’t going to be the sole deciding factor of whether or not we are good but for a coach coming in with an already mediocre defensive record, it would certainly be nice if he had a p5 dc on the staff

Recruiting: Chadwell is already recruiting in every school that P5 coaches in the Southeast are in. The difference is "Coastal Carolina" doesn't get the same pull as "UNC", "UGA", "NC State", "Kentucky", "Syracuse", whatever ACC/SEC school there is. The day Chadwell and his staff walk into a HS with "GT" on his shirt they will automatically be recruiting a different tier of SAs. It's like when Brian Kelly went from Cincinnati to Notre Dame...all of a sudden, a coach outside of P5 was getting 4 and 5 star players. It's more the school than the coach, but the coach can definitely upgrade the tier that a school recruits at.

Coaching: The X's and O's are the same once you get to the field. Chadwell runs such a unique system that there is no P5 coach that can help him. Maybe a passing game coordinator that can help with fine tuning his RPO passing game and add route concepts? Even then, they would still have to know Chadwell's system to figure out how it would work within his scheme. As I said previously, I would worry about his plans for his defense, and maybe that's where bringing in a P5 coordinator will help. Keep Thacker?

Game Planning: Coaches have a staff that breaks down game film going back years. Again, with Chadwell's system, who's going to know better than Chadwell how to attack defensive tendencies with his offense he created? It's like CPJ...he knew how to call a play against certain defenses he didn't even need a call sheet. Who is going to know better than him?

In terms of traveling, game day preparations, etc...well, that's why you have support staff. Batt will get Chadwell gameday staff that he'll need. People are overthinking this. It's about a HFC's ability to lead a team, motivate, and their on the field product. It'll more difficult to have success on the ACC level than where Chadwell is coming from, but he'll have better players to run his system.

I think way too many of us are overthinking this and consciously putting obstacles in the way for one reason or the other.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I think J batt has a #1 candidate he’s circled as his man. I’m not super sure who it is but I’ll try and guess based off what I’ve heard.
1: Jamey Chadwell
2: Bill Clark, pretty close to Chadwell
3. Mike Houston

I will never say it can't happen, but I was told by a member of the Atlanta Press covering the GT game last Saturday that Bill Clark has made a lot of noise about wanting the GT job but that the feeling is not mutual.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I think J batt has a #1 candidate he’s circled as his man. I’m not super sure who it is but I’ll try and guess based off what I’ve heard.
1: Jamey Chadwell
2: Bill Clark, pretty close to Chadwell
3. Mike Houston
Not crazy about any of these, Jamey Chadwell would be ok but not bring his defense staff they aren't that good
Bill Clark not that great of a record at UAB and their schedule
Mike Houston Has a losing record at East Carolina no thanks.

Jbatt go back to the drawing board.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
i don’t think tech fans are ready to admit the borderline irreparable damage that has been done to our relations with high schools in the area the last 15 years of tech football.

high school coaches did not like our last two staffs and we’ve just been completely unable to capitalize on the talent in our backyard. we can’t take all the 5* guys that bama, ohio state, uga and clemson snag but it’s embarrassing we are often not even a factor in the top 50 players decisions in our home state.

that is step 1 for the next head coach, whoever it may be
Does anyone really know if high school coaches “liking Tech coaches” is a real thing or not? It would be great, if we are going to have this discussion, to have names and first hand accounts rather than third party rumors every time we change coaching staffs.

Claiming this is a problem for Tech is a refrain I’ve heard for decades. Bobby Dodd was the last coach that supposedly had the respect of all the high school coaches.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
I will never say it can't happen, but I was told by a member of the Atlanta Press covering the GT game last Saturday that Bill Clark has made a lot of noise about wanting the GT job but that the feeling is not mutual.
The optimist in me reads into this that ADJB has his sights set high and believes he can hit the mark. Clark is a good coach.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Does anyone really know if high school coaches “liking Tech coaches” is a real thing or not? It would be great, if we are going to have this discussion, to have names and first hand accounts rather than third party rumors every time we change coaching staffs.

Claiming this is a problem for Tech is a refrain I’ve heard for decades. Bobby Dodd was the last coach that supposedly had the respect of all the high school coaches.

High school coaches don't liek GT in general. Most high school coaches in the state fo georgia are going to be georgia fans. Remember highschool coaches usually are teachers first, they may even have gone to uGA. I mean my high school coaches were all from tennesee or south georgia so they were UT or Florida fans and half of them played together at UTC. GT was not high on the list (to be fair most of my high school team could not sniff p5 even the pro player i played with went G5 before the NFL.

JacketFan137

Banned
Recruiting: Chadwell is already recruiting in every school that P5 coaches in the Southeast are in. The difference is "Coastal Carolina" doesn't get the same pull as "UNC", "UGA", "NC State", "Kentucky", "Syracuse", whatever ACC/SEC school there is. The day Chadwell and his staff walk into a HS with "GT" on his shirt they will automatically be recruiting a different tier of SAs. It's like when Brian Kelly went from Cincinnati to Notre Dame...all of a sudden, a coach outside of P5 was getting 4 and 5 star players. It's more the school than the coach, but the coach can definitely upgrade the tier that a school recruits at.

Coaching: The X's and O's are the same once you get to the field. Chadwell runs such a unique system that there is no P5 coach that can help him. Maybe a passing game coordinator that can help with fine tuning his RPO passing game and add route concepts? Even then, they would still have to know Chadwell's system to figure out how it would work within his scheme. As I said previously, I would worry about his plans for his defense, and maybe that's where bringing in a P5 coordinator will help. Keep Thacker?

Game Planning: Coaches have a staff that breaks down game film going back years. Again, with Chadwell's system, who's going to know better than Chadwell how to attack defensive tendencies with his offense he created? It's like CPJ...he knew how to call a play against certain defenses he didn't even need a call sheet. Who is going to know better than him?

In terms of traveling, game day preparations, etc...well, that's why you have support staff. Batt will get Chadwell gameday staff that he'll need. People are overthinking this. It's about a HFC's ability to lead a team, motivate, and their on the field product. It'll more difficult to have success on the ACC level than where Chadwell is coming from, but he'll have better players to run his system.

I think way too many of us are overthinking this and consciously putting obstacles in the way for one reason or the other.
when i said recruiting i didn’t explain fully. i wasn’t necessarily talking about OUR recruiting but the recruiting of the conference as a whole. it’s a pretty significant step up in depth and overall talent.

the x’s and o’s are not the same against better competition. there will be things he got away with at the g5 level against their lower teams that will just not work the same. that’s not even related to the option that is just a fact of the matter. you also may have to approach things differently on defense as the odds of a gamebreaking player ie your jordan addisons, brock bowers, sammy watkins’, insert any random nfl blue chip prospect will be in p5 but less likely to be in g5.

i’m more so concerned about the p5 experience on defense. taking a mediocre to bad defensive staff and a head coach who is an OC is a pretty legitimate concern. i think offensively chadwell is good enough to handle that jump but defensively this staff would possibly be a downgrade from what we currently have and that would be a major concern