HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
To be honest I feel like his offense is his only real selling point. Plus he has a QB right now that really fits that system which helps. Kind of like when JT5 was in CPJ offense. Nothing else about his team is really anything special. I also really don't like the fact he is supposedly hung up on bringing his current staff with him. I know I could be 100% wrong its just the felling I get watching them. If he does end up being our coach I won't have a problem with it, but would rather see a more experienced head coach get the job with a history of developing players. I think Dan Mullen would be a good choice. Id rather have Freeze but his contract makes that impossible.
You could also consider he turned a program around and has had 4 (very) winning seasons. But, many head coaches make the jump up and dont find the same success like Tulane Wave and Louisville Cardinals.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I agree with what you say 100%. I’m taking issue more with the dismissive attitude toward “barely beating one of the worst teams in P5 football.” It was only a few short weeks ago that we were losing these games... let’s not totally dismiss it.
Winning is hard and 4 is greater than 3. Severally beating a 2-5 would have been better and beating a winning team even better. Having your starting QB may have made this happen too.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I watched the game against App St. To the handful of TO experts on this board, CC’s offense might be completely different than PJs offense but to everyone else (including the announcers of the game), >75% of Coastal Carolinas plays were triple option related. Tech didn’t spend $23m and four years transitioning away from a TO offense only to go back to some other form of TO offense. Chadwell is a good coach, but right or wrong, I just don’t see him as a realistic candidate.
Did you really count the plays and come up with 75%? I count 27 passes out of 72 plays or 37.5% passing. https://www.espn.com/college-football/boxscore/_/gameId/401426364

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
So any rumors with substance on Who or When a decision is made? Looks like most comments on here are fan speculation.

If you are expecting any more than this you will be disappointed my friend. One way we keep our membership so low is by avoiding the expense of having real reporters (do they even exist anymore?) and fact checkers on staff here. You know....the old "get what you pay for" deal. ;)

ETA: we do though have a high % of members here who apparently know people who know people kind of thing. You can sift through those posts and try to seperate the wheat from the chaff. I think there may be some pearls of wisdom buried within but we won't know until months or even years down the road.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
So any rumors with substance on Who or When a decision is made? Looks like most comments on here are fan speculation.
One comment looked a little more than speculation, but perhaps it was just speculation.... The OBrain comment had some details that looked like it had some outside measure of actual rumor based on truth.

LawTalkin Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I presume with Army at 3-5, no one is on the Jeff Monken bandwagon any longer.
Jeff Monken · 9th season, 61–47 (.565)

Garrett Riley looking better and better as a candidate.

it is such a tough thing to do to pick a coach, think about the easy no-brainer picks for coaches that fans loved... starting with Scott Frost, then MArio Crostobal, Mel Tucker maybe... we should have a thread on "easiest no-brainer coaching picks" good and bad, like Scott Frost (bad), Steve Spurrier at FLa (good), etc....

Maybe add Saban to our list, he could be available.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer

it is such a tough thing to do to pick a coach, think about the easy no-brainer picks for coaches that fans loved... starting with Scott Frost, then MArio Crostobal, Mel Tucker maybe... we should have a thread on "easiest no-brainer coaching picks" good and bad, like Scott Frost (bad), Steve Spurrier at FLa (good), etc....

I think the other Monken was always more likely, but I doubt either will be offered.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

The better question is Jeff doing better than the previous coaches at Army. CPJs offense helps when you can’t get the Jimmys and Joes, but it is not a magic bullet.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Attachments

• 98E8E2C4-8C45-4AA9-90EC-2E79C612FD42.png
    98E8E2C4-8C45-4AA9-90EC-2E79C612FD42.png
    686.4 KB · Views: 58

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Maybe the total transition away was a bad idea. Maybe the smarter thing to do was to run a hybrid that incorporated many styles including some option.
Of course it is. I really don’t know why so many of our fans & alums want to play big boy football with our special circumstances. We will never have the line size/speed to just play vanilla offense. Never.

We need offensive innovations. We need the smartest guy on the field leading our O. I could care less what hybrid O he runs. Just want to have chance at special years every now& then.

Last edited:

AugustaSwarm

Jolly Good Fellow
It's hard for an interim coach to improve the roster mid-season. Key is getting better results and it's impossible to deny the impact he is having on the team and the fans. I am happy with him right now. But, I am still neutral on the future coach decision.
Agree 100%. Key immediately began to get more out of this team and has even managed to lead us to more wins than we mustered in a season since CGC arrived.

Key may not be a great OL coach, but as a HC candidate, he's showing something. We can drone on about how bad VT is, but this was a win that we wouldn't have taken under Collins. A HC brings a different skillet to the table than a positions coach, and it looks like his skill set is better suited to the HC position.

Like most others, I think we need to make an outside hire and effectively clean house. That said, there are a handful of coaches that I feel we should retain - I would love CBK to be one of them, but I'm not sure what role you put him into. Thacker and Watson have also shown enough that they've earned consideration. But a lot depends on who the next HC will be - the new HC should be able to use exactly who they want...

slugboy

Staff member
The last few FBS coaching hires I can recall with no question marks are
  • Nick Saban at LSU
  • Nick Saban at Alabama
  • Urban Meyer at Ohio State (but the “heart condition” might even qualify THAT for a ??)
  • Mike Leach at Mississippi State (being lenient here)
  • Riley at Southern Cal
We could add in no-brainers like Cristobal at Miami, which looks like a wreck right now; Scott Frost at Nebraska, which was a train wreck; Rich Rodriguez at Michigan; Dan Hawkins at Colorado; Chip Kelly at UCLA; we could come up with more.

There are going to be doubts and weaknesses in any candidate we consider. If we don’t see the problems, then we haven’t done our research.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
Agree 100%. Key immediately began to get more out of this team and has even managed to lead us to more wins than we mustered in a season since CGC arrived.

Key may not be a great OL coach, but as a HC candidate, he's showing something. We can drone on about how bad VT is, but this was a win that we wouldn't have taken under Collins. A HC brings a different skillet to the table than a positions coach, and it looks like his skill set is better suited to the HC position.

Like most others, I think we need to make an outside hire and effectively clean house. That said, there are a handful of coaches that I feel we should retain - I would love CBK to be one of them, but I'm not sure what role you put him into. Thacker and Watson have also shown enough that they've earned consideration. But a lot depends on who the next HC will be - the new HC should be able to use exactly who they want...
Has more to do with removing the incompetence of Collins from the equation, rather than Key doing something great.

AugustaSwarm

Jolly Good Fellow
Has more to do with removing the incompetence of Collins from the equation, rather than Key doing something great.
Sure, but it's not automatic that things improve, so you gotta give credit where credit is due. CBK deserves credit, and the talking heads at espn are beginning to acknowledge the job that he's done. I don't know that I am ready to hand him the HC reins yet, but he's starting to turn some heads even if our own fans can't see it.