Haynes King Update: How Do We Feel About Him?

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
To back “this.” - I think if you’re on this board, you understand what we have with King (A potential Heisman racer)
There’s two big groups, that make the majority of football fans, that I don’t think are fully onboard yet though.

Casual fans- I had dinner with my family last night, who represents this well. They like King, but aren’t sold because of certain losses. They were almost surprised when I listed his TD count compared to ACC.

Media- Covering GT doesn’t make them much money to start with, but they also yield for the same reasons as the casuals (a majority of their customers are casuals).

You can’t blame either for sleeping on King/Tech in general, bad losses will do that. Even as the offense progressed immensely throughout the season, my SEC friends still talked about Tech like a highschool team. But that will just make it more fun as the program continues to rise and passes them.
Whats really sad is you have to win more games to win the Heisman. We are one good defense away from him wining it. Plus all the other fun things that go along with that. Our new DC coaching set could be what gets us over the hump?

Lil G

Ramblin' Wreck
Whats really sad is you have to win more games to win the Heisman. We are one good defense away from him wining it. Plus all the other fun things that go along with that. Our new DC coaching set could be what gets us over the hump?
I am emotionally attached to this prophecy, so I hope it holds true

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Anyone else but me get flashbacks to Lil' Joe when reading Mountain Buzz's post?

gville_jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I wonder which Heisman winner in the last 30-40 years had the fewest wins on that season. I'd be curious to see that data. My gut tells me no less than 8 wins.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I wonder which Heisman winner in the last 30-40 years had the fewest wins on that season. I'd be curious to see that data. My gut tells me no less than 8 wins.

There are only three winners overall that have 4 losses or more

Winners on Teams with Four Regular Season Losses
1969 Steve Owens Oklahoma 6 – 4 – 0

Winners on Teams with a .500 Record
1935 Jay Berwanger Chicago 4 – 4 – 0

Winners on Teams with a Losing Record
1956 Paul Hornung Notre Dame 2 – 8 – 0

Measuring losses is probably better than wins overall. We have had several win it at 9-3 which seems to be the modern cutoff.

1980 George Rogers South Carolina 8 – 3 – 0
1981 Marcus Allen So. California 8 – 3 – 0
1985 Bo Jackson Auburn 8 – 3 – 0
1987 Tim Brown Notre Dame 8 – 3 – 0
1998 Ricky Williams Texas 8 – 3 – 0
2007 Tim Tebow Florida 9 – 3 – 0
2011 Robert Griffin III Baylor 9 – 3 – 0
2016 Lamar Jackson Louisville 9 – 3 – 0

roadkill

Helluva Engineer

Measuring losses is probably better than wins overall. We have had several win it at 9-3 which seems to be the modern cutoff.

2023's Jayden Daniels of LSU was 9 - 3 regular season as well.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
2023's Jayden Daniels of LSU was 9 - 3 regular season as well.
It is interesting to me how much the game has changed. I have never heard of this guy until your post nor seen him play. I was unaware of the Heisman ceremony. Used to be these guys were household names and you knew of them well before they ever received the trophy. It seems like now they are just some random guy selected for whatever reason. Although I am sure he is a very good player.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
It is interesting to me how much the game has changed. I have never heard of this guy until your post nor seen him play. I was unaware of the Heisman ceremony. Used to be these guys were household names and you knew of them well before they ever received the trophy. It seems like now they are just some random guy selected for whatever reason. Although I am sure he is a very good player.
I watched two LSU games - the opener against FSU and parts of LSU-Bama (both LSU losses). Daniels is the real deal, although I saw Penix's playoff game against Texas and thought his was also a Heisman-worthy performance. Regardless, I didn't watch this year's Heisman ceremony and don't remember the last time I did.

Daniels passed for 346 yards against a stout FSU defense. He placed fifth in total passing yards - almost 1000 more than Haynes King, along with 40 TDs vs 4 Int. He also had over 1000 yards on the ground for the season for a total of nearly 5000 yards. Statistically, he was top 3 QB if not the best overall. Perhaps he wasn't lauded as much as some past winners who seemed head and shoulders above the rest of the pack and carried their team to championships.

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
He along with the others seem like great blockers and reliable catchers.
We have yet to have a big player maker yet though I believe.
Judging by how our current ones are used, and the TE’s that are coming in through portal - it looks like blocking is priority #1 for BF. That + finding somebody who can block hard and run like Brock bowers is very rare (expensive)
It depends on how you characterize a big play maker. I feel Seither’s catch in the end zone against UNC was the big play that changed our season.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
It depends on how you characterize a big play maker. I feel Seither’s catch in the end zone against UNC was the big play that changed our season.
Agree the catch was good.
.The throw was great and to the perfect spot at perfect time. Then player made play.

Then, I knew we had a high ceiling.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Agree the catch was good.
.The throw was great and to the perfect spot at perfect time. Then player made play.

Then, I knew we had a high ceiling.
It was a great play on both ends. Perfect spot, perfect time, and perfect touch on the ball as well.
A clutch throw just before going out of bounds. One of several passes King threw last year that made clear he's a cut above.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
I watched two LSU games - the opener against FSU and parts of LSU-Bama (both LSU losses). Daniels is the real deal, although I saw Penix's playoff game against Texas and thought his was also a Heisman-worthy performance. Regardless, I didn't watch this year's Heisman ceremony and don't remember the last time I did.

Daniels passed for 346 yards against a stout FSU defense. He placed fifth in total passing yards - almost 1000 more than Haynes King, along with 40 TDs vs 4 Int. He also had over 1000 yards on the ground for the season for a total of nearly 5000 yards. Statistically, he was top 3 QB if not the best overall. Perhaps he wasn't lauded as much as some past winners who seemed head and shoulders above the rest of the pack and carried their team to championships.
Don’t know that I’ve ever watched a Heisman ceremony.

Flajacket

Georgia Tech Fan
I was in Daytona for the Rolex 24 over the weekend.Saw some guys with TAM chairs and asked 'Who's the Age?'.

They pointed to one guy and I thanked him for running off Haynes, we loved him at Tech.

All I got in return was a hrmph.

BurdellJacket

Jolly Good Fellow

Great report, @jgtengineer . That must have taken a lot of research.

Someone else may have pointed this out, but one of the most undeserving winners had to have been Ron Dayne (sp?) who beat out our great Joe Hamilton. Word I heard was that it was kind of a "lifetime achievement award". Well, it's supposed to be for the season and I don't think he even had that great of a career!

BurdellJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Great report, @jgtengineer . That must have taken a lot of research.

Someone else may have pointed this out, but one of the most undeserving winners had to have been Ron Dayne (sp?) who beat out our great Joe Hamilton. Word I heard was that it was kind of a "lifetime achievement award". Well, it's supposed to be for the season and I don't think he even had that great of a career!

I may have to fall on my own sword. Just looked it up, and Dayne had a pretty good season/career.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
It was a great play on both ends. Perfect spot, perfect time, and perfect touch on the ball as well.
A clutch throw just before going out of bounds. One of several passes King threw last year that made clear he's a cut above.
That catch could qualify as the hardest catch I've seen in 60 yrs of watching Tech football.A beauty --AND important.