Haynes King Update: How Do We Feel About Him?

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
A "gift" or 'innate character trait" is the type of semantical splitting of hairs that I tend to avoid. I concur that the parents and family life can play a role in how much this trait (or any other) whithers or fluorishes. But the trait must be within the child.

When I think back to the "1 in 3" days I am convinced that it ws this mindset, rather than 'smarts" or "intelligence" that separated the 1 from the other 2.

A few years back, I thruhiked the Appalachian Trail. Not much of an accomplishment really but the success rate over the decades has always been prety constant (about 25% or in 1 in 4). No matter how much better the gear has gotten and all the resources available now needed to plan and execute a long hike. I have maintained my friendship with others in the long distance hiking community and we mentor people who want to thruhike, whether it be the AT, the CDT, or PCT. One thing we have learned when people contact us for info or advice is to listen to their phrasing. If they say I am going to walk from Ga to Maine - or Mexico to Canada - they typically will barring some unforeseen circumstance such as injury or family crisis. If they say "I am going to try to thruhike the XYZ trail" or "I am going to keep walking as long as I am having fun" or some other phrasing, they usually don't make it. They might get 75 miles, 200 miles or 500 miles but they just don't finish. It's pretty consistent in this regard and we believe it is a reliable indicator or predictor of "success".

In today's college FB world, the portal can be an indicator of those who don't have the mindset to finish a difficult task. As Coach Johnson said, they all come highly recommended. Some will stick it out and work their way onto the playing field. Others will take the path of least resistance. Disclaimer: I used the word can. This meaans not ALL players who are in the portal are taking the easy out. Some may have real and legitimate reasons.
I was not the smartest or the hardest working, but I was the smartest working and refused to be washed out. It was more about stubborness than anything else.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
It was more about stubborness than anything else.
Exactly. As long as my buddies were still there scratching and clawing and kicking and screaming, I stuck it out as well. It probably meant more to me at that stage of life not to be seen as a quitter amongst my friends than the actual piece of paper they gave me at the end. We probably weren't the sharpest knives in the drawer, but some 4 decades later we remain great friends....and understand now how we needed that support to get out.

rfjeff9

Jolly Good Fellow
Texas A&M fans watching King this year…..
Confused Mark Wahlberg GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
And also unlike Stetson he has a college degree and will, I imagine, leave GT with a second whenever that is.
Don’t wanna derail too much but I’m into the whiskey clear and can’t resist. It’s almost harder to go to college for 6 years and NOT get a degree than it is to get one. Especially for a football player. They get the most academic support and coddling of everyone on campus, especially a place like uGA. If you’ve been on a college campus for 6 years and haven’t gotten an undergraduate degree, you do not deserve to be eligible to play sports. You’re actually just wasting taxpayer dollars in that case and should have to forfeit your SCHOLARship.

So glad King fits into GT culture so well. Makes it even easier to root for him. Same with CBK. He gets Tech, and isn’t trying to do anything to change who we are or what we do. He just wants to embrace it. Brent Key wants GEORGIA TECH to have a good football team. He doesn’t just want to have 85 dudes out there that couldn’t give a rip about the school and the people they’re representing. King is fully bought into that mindset as well, and it seems like a good chunk of the team is too.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
With King, I get the impression he hates all the obligations the media wants from QBs. He just wants to ball and be with his teammates. You can tell he hates the media attention.

King better get used to it. The more successful a QB is, the more the media wants a piece of them. King is going to be a very successful QB.

slugboy

Staff member
He is already there. Where does he go from here is the question??? ;)
He ended up behind a Heisman candidate (before he broke his leg) and a QB getting drafted in the first two rounds, and just ahead of a guy who got run out of Miami
He can move up next year, with good fortune

IMG_2475.png