Haynes King Update: How Do We Feel About Him?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Week 12 DETMER leaders (again it’s a “what, triple coverage on a deep pass? Yeah, I’ll try it!” QB stat)

Credit to Sickos Committee

View attachment 15166

If you haven't watched Jayden Daniels play, do it if you get a chance. What he's doing is absolutely ridiculous. IMO, he's MUCH better QB than Caleb Williams. Daniels is Mike Vick and DeShaun Watson combined. He's scary good.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Wanted to congratulate Haynes on an outstanding season for us.
He is currently #28 in the QBR ratings. That is the highest rating for a QB at GT since Justin Thomas was #15 in 2016 (he was #5 in 2014).
He's a big part of why our offense was so much better this year.
Here's to hoping he is even better in future years.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Some more single-season record updates on Haynes:
Note: In the interest of fairness to our great players of prior seasons, postseason games were not included in stats prior to 2002, and teams played an 11-game regular season until 2006.
  1. Although last Saturday’s game wasn’t his best statistically, Haynes King has now tied Joe Ham’s record of 35 total touchdowns responsible for. He will likely be the all-time leader after our bowl game. He is 2nd in passing TDs and needs only 3 more to tie Hamilton’s record of 29.
  2. He needs 392 total yards in the bowl game to break Hamilton’s record of 3794 total offense yards. Unlikely, but remotely possible. He averages 284/game, but has had several games of more than 350.
  3. He is now fourth all-time in passing yards with 2755. With a decent performance in the bowl game, he will likely eclipse George Godsey’s year 2000 total, putting him in 3rd place. It’s unlikely he will displace Hamilton or Godsey for 2nd or 1st, which would require another 305 and 330 yards respectively. However, Haynes has had three over 300-yard passing games.
  4. If he somehow manages 3 more rushing touchdowns, he would be on our single-season top-ten list shared only with running backs or Paul Johnson’s QBs.
Will be interesting to see where his stats land after our bowl game.

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Some more single-season record updates on Haynes:
Note: In the interest of fairness to our great players of prior seasons, postseason games were not included in stats prior to 2002, and teams played an 11-game regular season until 2006.
  1. Although last Saturday’s game wasn’t his best statistically, Haynes King has now tied Joe Ham’s record of 35 total touchdowns responsible for. He will likely be the all-time leader after our bowl game. He is 2nd in passing TDs and needs only 3 more to tie Hamilton’s record of 29.
  2. He needs 392 total yards in the bowl game to break Hamilton’s record of 3794 total offense yards. Unlikely, but remotely possible. He averages 284/game, but has had several games of more than 350.
  3. He is now fourth all-time in passing yards with 2755. With a decent performance in the bowl game, he will likely eclipse George Godsey’s year 2000 total, putting him in 3rd place. It’s unlikely he will displace Hamilton or Godsey for 2nd or 1st, which would require another 305 and 330 yards respectively. However, Haynes has had three over 300-yard passing games.
  4. If he somehow manages 3 more rushing touchdowns, he would be on our single-season top-ten list shared only with running backs or Paul Johnson’s QBs.
Will be interesting to see where his stats land after our bowl game.
And we should all take note - after this year, he has at least 1 more year to work on those records again, with another year of improvement under his belt.

Pretty stoked to see how things are shaping up.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
That's the guy you want leading your team.

I was skeptical of King when news broke that he was going to start over Pyron. And I wasn’t sold early in the year when he was hot and cold and very turnover prone. But he’s surpassed all expectations and I love how he’s totally bought into Key and Georgia Tech. For the first time ever since I’ve been following GT we’ll have a QB that other P5 schools wish they had. Dude is a beast and will probably be considered an all-time GT great if he can put up similar or better numbers next year.

I also think he’s a good example for Pyron, as well as Philo and Knowles to follow. This offseason

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
How can you not love this guy?
How can you not love his head coach?
The core personal trait in leadership is personal authenticity. These two guys have it. By God, let’s buckle up and enjoy the ride. By God, we damn well deserve it.
His dad is a hard charging East Texas HS coaching legend. He has to compete with teams that are also legendsry - Carthage has lost 4 or 5 games in 10 years (including playoffs). Another ledendary team is Gilmer. They were down for a few years after their coach took over UTSA.
John would be a good ambssador for gt in east texas.

I think he will love to going to see gt play in athens

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
That's the guy you want leading your team.

I loved this line..."instead of making excuses why NOT to do something, find excuses to DO it". I have managed more people than I care to try to remember and have taught hundreds of high school students in my second career. Sadly, most people are wired to look for excuses why they can't do something. I don't know what he (King) is majoring in but if I were still hiring college grads he would get an offer from me based on this interview and comment alone. This mindset can NOT be coached or taught imo. It's a spritual gift that most on this earth were not given (sadly).

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
I loved this line..."instead of making excuses why NOT to do something, find excuses to DO it". I have managed more people than I care to try to remember and have taught hundreds of high school students in my second career. Sadly, most people are wired to look for excuses why they can't do something. I don't know what he (King) is majoring in but if I were still hiring college grads he would get an offer from me based on this interview and comment alone. This mindset can NOT be coached or taught imo. It's a spritual gift that most on this earth were not given (sadly).
Nice comments but I can understand how you might think this is considered a gift but I believe though it is merely an innate character trait that alot of people were not taught to recognize and personally develop. And how to put it to use.

DeepSnap

GT Athlete
Or as Coach Yoda used to say, "“Do or do not. There is no try.”

"We are Georgia Tech. We figure out how to do the impossible."....Can't remember who said it, but it applies. :cool: :buzz:

Last edited:

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Nice comments but I can understand how you might think this is considered a gift but I believe though it is merely an innate character trait that alot of people were not taught to recognize and personally develop. And how to put it to use.
A "gift" or 'innate character trait" is the type of semantical splitting of hairs that I tend to avoid. I concur that the parents and family life can play a role in how much this trait (or any other) whithers or fluorishes. But the trait must be within the child.

When I think back to the "1 in 3" days I am convinced that it ws this mindset, rather than 'smarts" or "intelligence" that separated the 1 from the other 2.

A few years back, I thruhiked the Appalachian Trail. Not much of an accomplishment really but the success rate over the decades has always been prety constant (about 25% or in 1 in 4). No matter how much better the gear has gotten and all the resources available now needed to plan and execute a long hike. I have maintained my friendship with others in the long distance hiking community and we mentor people who want to thruhike, whether it be the AT, the CDT, or PCT. One thing we have learned when people contact us for info or advice is to listen to their phrasing. If they say I am going to walk from Ga to Maine - or Mexico to Canada - they typically will barring some unforeseen circumstance such as injury or family crisis. If they say "I am going to try to thruhike the XYZ trail" or "I am going to keep walking as long as I am having fun" or some other phrasing, they usually don't make it. They might get 75 miles, 200 miles or 500 miles but they just don't finish. It's pretty consistent in this regard and we believe it is a reliable indicator or predictor of "success".

In today's college FB world, the portal can be an indicator of those who don't have the mindset to finish a difficult task. As Coach Johnson said, they all come highly recommended. Some will stick it out and work their way onto the playing field. Others will take the path of least resistance. Disclaimer: I used the word can. This meaans not ALL players who are in the portal are taking the easy out. Some may have real and legitimate reasons.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
This young man is coach material.

GT22

Georgia Tech Fan
Not sure where to ask this, but since King was at T a&m, any chance of reconnecting with Evan Stewart? Just curious since Chase Lane signed here. Just hoping, you know Christmas/festivus miracle