Haynes King Update: How Do We Feel About Him?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Lol I’ve posted originally about how it was dumb that some tech fans wanted to pull King in some of the games that he was st mom and few people proceeded to lose their minds about how we were accusing them of calling King a “snowflake.”

But then I saw all the posts appreciating how truly great King has been and I’m glad there’s a lot of fans who see the difference he can be for our program. I’m telling y’all, if we finish the year strong and we clean up some our mistakes. Next year is gonna be special!
Imho, Somebody told the OC to give it the gas.

The TE from UGA looks like a missing piece in puzzle. He has played under our OC. He has been injured for several games. Glad to see King finding him at important points in game.

Having a TE THATS more than a blocker opens up things for everyone else.

Agree next year could be special, but i am old.

imho, we keep hammer down on offense and lets let the yellow jackets loose on defense and we make next 4 games special!

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Here's the question you asked:

Here was my response:

That means I don't know the coaches' reasoning, and I'm not going to guess at it. I don't have an opinion. I'm not sure why you want to continue asking me the same question over and over and getting worked up about it. Obviously you are convinced you know the coaches' reasoning for why they do what they do - good for you. It seems like you are just looking to argue your side, and that's fine, but I didn't take a side so I don't know why you are trying to argue this with me. Have a good day.
As I said, I was asking your opinion. Sorry if that stressed you out. I'm not actually looking to argue "my side." I was actually just interested in another posters opinion, not any "side." I like having discussions with people who seem to have interesting POVs and you struck me as someone that might.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I don't get the hate for his interview either.. I think he is well spoken and I loved him tieing into the "Tech Man" narrative and "Tech-Like" as opposed to a Video Game like modifier for how the style of our play was.
He had me when he said "I like to win, but i really really hate to lose."

Gt has a new warrior who knows that to lose is to "FAIL" to win.

As far as i am concerened he is a helluva tech man

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Imho, Somebody told the OC to give it the gas.

The TE from UGA looks like a missing piece in puzzle. He has played under our OC. He has been injured for several games. Glad to see King finding him at important points in game.

Having a TE THATS more than a blocker opens up things for everyone else.

Agree next year could be special, but i am old.

imho, we keep hammer down on offense and lets let the yellow jackets loose on defense and we make next 4 games special!
I think Seither can be really good. He seems to have good hands and is fairly fast. If he can block, he may end up making a lot of noise on the Flats.

bucknellbison31

Jolly Good Fellow
It continually astounds me how some on this thread want to bury Haynes when he's undoubtedly our most promising player. Why do we expect him to overcome all of the mediocrity around him? He doesn't have any star skill players to throw to.

Also, I love Pyron, but people act like he's a world-beater — he helped us sneak by a horrible Virginia Tech team and then played below average in two other losses. HK is CLEARLY the better QB right now.
I'm not quoting my post as an "I told you so" thing, but just to illustrate how much one win or loss sways the tone of this thread. Haynes was by far the biggest reason that we beat UNC the other night. And while he wasn't great against BC, his performance was clearly more attributable to those around him (Leary's drop, for example) and poor playcalling. When the next inevitable disappointing Tech loss does come, please remind yourselves of the 45-point outburst and what Haynes can do when the team around him performs.

Yes, the interception was bad, and yes, the errant throw in the first half was bad (though he overthrew it, avoiding the interception — take notes, Mr. Sims). Those were pretty much his only two bad throws of the night, and he made some incredible throws as well.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
I mean he's gotta be the highest HS ranked TE we have had on the team since....... maybe ever?
We actually had a couple of 4* TE's under Gailey, IIRC. George Cooper was one about 2003 or so. Maybe Mike Matthews around that time, too, maybe not. Even Michael Johnson was a TE recruit and I believe 4*. We had a string of pretty good TE's for a while: Grant Baynham, JP Fosci, Conrad Andrezeskgjbsbdht, and the two named above. I predated "rankings," but Tom Covington back in 1990 was a beast.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
We actually had a couple of 4* TE's under Gailey, IIRC. George Cooper was one about 2003 or so. Maybe Mike Matthews around that time, too, maybe not. Even Michael Johnson was a TE recruit and I believe 4*. We had a string of pretty good TE's for a while: Grant Baynham, JP Fosci, Conrad Andrezeskgjbsbdht, and the two named above. I predated "rankings," but Tom Covington back in 1990 was a beast.

Yea I forgot MJ sorta technically came in as TE.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
If we ever get a big lead on anybody, I hope we can get Pyron in there for some live game action.
Wasn't that supposed to happen in the Bowling Green and Boston College games?

:confused:

But more seriously, I suspect that CBK and the offensive coaches are going to stick with HK exclusively because this team desperately needs to develop some stability somewhere, and the QB position is the right place to begin forming an identity as a program.

We may see Pyron more next year in late game situations.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
King makes the CBSSports QB rankings this week.

10 player headshot
Haynes KingGEORGIA TECH YELLOW JACKETS QB
King has been a rollercoaster all season. Odds are this will be the last time you see him ranked here because even though the Yellow Jackets have picked up wins over Miami and North Carolina in the last three weeks, there's a loss to Boston College sandwiched between. Oh, and there's the loss to Bowling Green before it. And if you look at King's performance in the Miami win, it's not like he balled out. But, he did ball out against North Carolina! King finished with 377 total yards and four touchdowns, outplaying Drake Maye. He deserves some recognition for it, even if the pattern of Georgia Tech's season means the Jackets are totally going to lose to Virginia next week. (NR)

colton

Georgia Tech Fan
King makes the CBSSports QB rankings this week.

10 player headshot
Haynes KingGEORGIA TECH YELLOW JACKETS QB
King has been a rollercoaster all season. Odds are this will be the last time you see him ranked here because even though the Yellow Jackets have picked up wins over Miami and North Carolina in the last three weeks, there's a loss to Boston College sandwiched between. Oh, and there's the loss to Bowling Green before it. And if you look at King's performance in the Miami win, it's not like he balled out. But, he did ball out against North Carolina! King finished with 377 total yards and four touchdowns, outplaying Drake Maye. He deserves some recognition for it, even if the pattern of Georgia Tech's season means the Jackets are totally going to lose to Virginia next week. (NR)
Wow, how complementary! It reads like they absolutely do NOT want King on this list. Surely they will be equally as critical of Carson Beck, and not mention how he should be in the Heisman conversation.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Wow, how complementary! It reads like they absolutely do NOT want King on this list. Surely they will be equally as critical of Carson Beck, and not mention how he should be in the Heisman conversation.
I read it the same way! Hopefully Haynes and GT have the last laugh.... maybe even a say in future negative evaluations of Carson Beck... :unsure:

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, they didn't even bother to find a photo. That's some elite company on the list, though.