Haynes King Update: How Do We Feel About Him?

GT33

Helluva Engineer
3rd in passing tds ALL TIME in a season with 4 games to go. Real possibility he passes Goose.

I think some people just want to be contrarians. He’s clearly the best passer we have had since Godsey and is a very capable runner too. I don’t expect mea culpas from those calling for pyron(I’m wrong on personnel calls a lot too), but maybe we can tone down the calls to play the backup.
King is better than Pyron, but sometimes players have days when it's just not going well. I believe on those types of days a change of pace would be helpful. Not a benching but out for a series or part of a series to get reset. Coaches tend not to do this with QBs.

Coaches have the responsibility and are accountable to deciding what to do. We're fans, we armchair QB their decisions all year long.

King's mechanics for BC game were atrocious way more often than not. Maybe it was correctable on the fly, maybe not at all that day. Who knows, we never gave that option a chance? Fast forward to last night and he may have had 2 mistakes- throw into triple coverage after the punt block, overthrow of a wide open Rutherford which would have been a huge gain. Last night King knew or was able to find the open receiver, had good ball placement, ran most of the time when he needed to, etc. He obviously had good game prep because it looked like he knew what was going to happen. It was the most complete game he's had and his decisionmaking was excellent. For that I am extremely thankful.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
King is better than Pyron, but sometimes players have days when it's just not going well. I believe on those types of days a change of pace would be helpful. Not a benching but out for a series or part of a series to get reset. Coaches tend not to do this with QBs.

Coaches have the responsibility and are accountable to deciding what to do. We're fans, we armchair QB their decisions all year long.

King's mechanics for BC game were atrocious way more often than not. Maybe it was correctable on the fly, maybe not at all that day. Who knows, we never gave that option a chance? Fast forward to last night and he may have had 2 mistakes- throw into triple coverage after the punt block, overthrow of a wide open Rutherford which would have been a huge gain. Last night King knew or was able to find the open receiver, had good ball placement, ran most of the time when he needed to, etc. He obviously had good game prep because it looked like he knew what was going to happen. It was the most complete game he's had and his decisionmaking was excellent. For that I am extremely thankful.
Last thing you want is your QB feeling like he’s going to get hooked for a mistake or 2. We wouldn’t have won last night had Key benched HK against BC. I firmly believe that. You just need to let the kid sling and put your faith in him that he’s going to make more good plays than bad ones.

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
If you pull King during the BC game do you also pull him after the first quarter and some missed throws and drives without points against UNC? There were calls for Pyron in both games...

GT33

Helluva Engineer
If you pull King during the BC game do you also pull him after the first quarter and some missed throws and drives without points against UNC? There were calls for Pyron in both games...
Last thing you want is your QB feeling like he’s going to get hooked for a mistake or 2. We wouldn’t have won last night had Key benched HK against BC. I firmly believe that. You just need to let the kid sling and put your faith in him that he’s going to make more good plays than bad ones.
They stuck with their plan. That does have it's own angle as @AUFC pointed out. I do think there's a difference between the slow start with UNC and what was going on during the BG and BC games, but I also have the hindsight of knowing the results. It's a damn hard call to make. What I do really appreciate is Key's commitment to reviewing the mistakes and trying to correct them. That's how you improve. He's sold me he's not going to sit there like the last guy and just continue to **** up, cheering each successive **** up with inceasing levels of enthusiam as if you make a crap performance good by saying it was good often enough.

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
I wouldn’t have been shocked to see Pyron last night because it looked to me like UNC was taking every chance to get anything extra on King. Took some hits and had some nasty looking falls as part of them.

gtie73

Ramblin' Wreck
They stuck with their plan. That does have its own angle as @AUFC pointed out. I do think there's a difference between the slow start with UNC and what was going on during the BG and BC games, but I also have the hindsight of knowing the results. It's a damn hard call to make. What I do really appreciate is Key's commitment to reviewing the mistakes and trying to correct them. That's how you improve. He's sold me he's not going to sit there like the last guy and just continue to **** up, cheering each successive **** up with inceasing levels of enthusiam as if you make a crap performance good by saying it was good often enough.
NIL?

bearla96

Georgia Tech Fan
I haven't had time to read all of the posts but I've noticed some posts asking to pull King and put in Pyron and that is such a bad/dumb idea. King for all his mistakes (i.e. decision-making) is probably the most talented QB we've had in the last 20 years (Justin Thomas was close) and pulling him mid game is incredibly detrimental to a QB's psyche (especially a young developing one). Let him play through the games and get better and push through the mistake, if he finishes the year strong and learns to push through adversity, I believe we're due to special year next season.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I haven't had time to read all of the posts but I've noticed some posts asking to pull King and put in Pyron and that is such a bad/dumb idea. King for all his mistakes (i.e. decision-making) is probably the most talented QB we've had in the last 20 years (Justin Thomas was close) and pulling him mid game is incredibly detrimental to a QB's psyche (especially a young developing one). Let him play through the games and get better and push through the mistake, if he finishes the year strong and learns to push through adversity, I believe we're due to special year next season.
Eh, I doubt Haynes is that fragile. I have more faith in him than to think that.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
I don't think he's a snowflake. What makes you think he's got such a weak personality? Personally I think he's pretty damn tough.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
I don't think he's a snowflake. What makes you think he's got such a weak personality? Personally I think he's pretty damn tough.
I think you pull someone if he continues to make the same mistakes and those mistakes are hurting the team more than the good plays he's making. If he's making WAY more good plays than bad and seems to be getting better then you don't pull him. You keep him out there because on most plays he makes the best decisions and he will probably learn more from being in the game.

However, if a guy continues to make mistake after mistake and they are the same ones over and over and they eclipse the good things he's doing then you pull him out of the game. Has Haynes made some of the same mistakes in various games? Of course he has. But I also think that we have a new OC and mostly new offensive coaches this year and Haynes is "new" to GT and all the players so they are still learning together so, PERHAPS, some of the mistakes you think are being made by Haynes are not just his mistakes. Perhaps sometimes the receivers aren't making the right plays. Perhaps sometimes the OL isn't doing exactly what they are supposed to be doing. Same for the RBs and TEs. I just think there are so many variables and new gears in the system to think that, thus far, pulling Haynes would have been the answer. And I say that as a confirmed Zach Pyron fan and someone who has been frustrated with some of the things it looks like Haynes is doing.

But I don't think his psyche would have anything to do with it. I agree with you that he seems to have a pretty strong psyche and could handle being pulled if it came to that.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
There is a big difference between the HC/OC saying "you aren't producing/making mistakes so we are going to try the other guy" getting benched and "hey I want to put the backup in for a series or two because some of the defense is telling their hand and I want you to watch what those guys are doing so when you go back in you can take advantage of them" temporary benching.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
There is a big difference between the HC/OC saying "you aren't producing/making mistakes so we are going to try the other guy" getting benched and "hey I want to put the backup in for a series or two because some of the defense is telling their hand and I want you to watch what those guys are doing so when you go back in you can take advantage of them" temporary benching.
I agree that there is a big difference between those two things. Do you think the coaches for GT are keeping Haynes in the game at times instead of putting someone else in because of some amount of loyalty or fear that they might hurt his feelings or do you think they are keeping him in the game because they believe having him on the field is better than NOT having him on the field? I'm pretty sure that if they felt that it was better for Haynes and the team to pull him out to do what you described then they would do it in a heartbeat.

Just my 2 cents and that and a $5 will get you a plain old coffee at your favorite coffee shop ;)

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
At tailgate Pyron family know their son is a quality back up and they / he are ready for the time Zack is needed. I encourged them that in pregame drills its really great to see 2 qbs that are super accurate and have zip on the ball. ZP loves. We discussed some post grad alternative studies as he is moving along towards graduating.

Football is a rough game and Pyron will get snaps.

PS
Sidewalk fans that drove up to game - love gt and high school age kid had on a 10 KING JERSEY they bought before homecoming.

At gt the 2 deep at qb is pretty solid but our defense is dead last in acc.

Last edited: