Haynes King Update: How Do We Feel About Him?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
It was a very late breaking open post and it is easier to see from where we are... there is no way haynes didn't see the linebacker his way to throw that.

Senior QB King likely reads the safety bite on the over route and just bombs the post over the backer.

He can be so much better w Taller wr .

Several top wr recruits were at the recruit reception tech green. Both qb recruits were there as well.

The parants of the graduating te say th ey think we will get a portal to go w stithers who has been injured till this game.

RhoChi

Ramblin' Wreck
Haynes King always gives me weird feelings. On one hand he’s has a high ceiling and makes some amazing plays.

But then he’ll turn around and throw into triple coverage. I’m never sure what I’ll get from him.

If his decision-making improves by 10% I think he’s a very elite QB. But that’s his biggest struggle rn.

Almost there.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Haynes King always gives me weird feelings. On one hand he’s has a high ceiling and makes some amazing plays.

But then he’ll turn around and throw into triple coverage. I’m never sure what I’ll get from him.

If his decision-making improves by 10% I think he’s a very elite QB. But that’s his biggest struggle rn.

Almost there.

He has a gunslinger mentality. Sorta Favre esque with that. Which means risk taking for every unbelievable placed ball over the shoulder in stride we get to a receiver we are likely to see a deep ball interception if any of a number of small things go wrong with the throw.

RhoChi

Ramblin' Wreck
He has a gunslinger mentality. Sorta Favre esque with that. Which means risk taking for every unbelievable placed ball over the shoulder in stride we get to a receiver we are likely to see a deep ball interception if any of a number of small things go wrong with the throw.
That’s fair. I guess I’m just not as big of a fan of having a gunslinger when you don’t have the support staff around them to help clean up those small things.

Eg Dom Blaylock not fighting a guy for a ball that turned into a pick 6

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
That’s fair. I guess I’m just not as big of a fan of having a gunslinger when you don’t have the support staff around them to help clean up those small things.

Eg Dom Blaylock not fighting a guy for a ball that turned into a pick 6
Yeah.

Though you really need someone with that level of confidence in their own throws to run anything air raid. I mean Mike Leach once had a QB throw for 10 tds and 700+ yards in a loss because he also threw 5 picks.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Anyone else remember the days of run, run, run, run, run, run, run, throw a long one over the top (dang...he was open), run, run, run, run, run...?

And does anyone else remember thinking, "Wow, if only we had a QB who could run AND throw with accuracy?"

23 of 27 for 287 yds. 8 carries for 90 yds.

I think we finally found CPJ's QB. :cool:

Seeing king work the mesh.... I think he'd end up a shoe in for a Heisman.

slugboy

Staff member
So true - On his pick tonight, he had a TD to Boyd if he threw to the post route instead
Yes, but he was about to get hit as he threw the ball. In fact, he got hit and knocked to the turf immediately on throwing the ball.

He probably threw at Singleton because he trusted him. If he has even a little more protection on that play — which was not much — the post receiver gets the ball.

That’s why offensive lines win Heisman awards, even if the QB gets their name on them

slugboy

Staff member
King’s game was so good against UNC, he’s moved into the top 4 ACC QBs (the top 3 are going pro, unless Van Dyke decides to stay)

And in the bottom 4, yeeeesh…

IMG_2372.jpeg

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer

Almost there.
He's a SOPHOMORE......there is still time.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
3rd in passing tds ALL TIME in a season with 4 games to go. Real possibility he passes Goose.

I think some people just want to be contrarians. He’s clearly the best passer we have had since Godsey and is a very capable runner too. I don’t expect mea culpas from those calling for pyron(I’m wrong on personnel calls a lot too), but maybe we can tone down the calls to play the backup.

fairweatherhater

Georgia Tech Fan
He's come a long way from where he was at aTm last year. If he keeps this up then next season could be magical. Also showing almost as much "buy in" as CBK. The "buy in" gives us a chance to keep him for his Senior year if he keeps this trajectory up through his Junior year.

The dream would be to play aTm in a bowl with King and watch him really ball out.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
King obviously still throws into coverage too much. But he plays incredibly hard and makes some spectacular plays. He is fun to root for!

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
3rd in passing tds ALL TIME in a season with 4 games to go. Real possibility he passes Goose.

I think some people just want to be contrarians. He’s clearly the best passer we have had since Godsey and is a very capable runner too. I don’t expect mea culpas from those calling for pyron(I’m wrong on personnel calls a lot too), but maybe we can tone down the calls to play the backup.
I’ll take a mea culpa. I never said we should start Pyron vs. UNC, but I was definitely willing to see us give him a shot after a few of the King clunkers. But at this point he’s shown too much. Just have to ride with him.

TechPhi97

Ramblin' Wreck
King has had several wtf interceptions like the one tonight where it seems he has predetermined which receiver is getting the ball and he's not even looking at the coverage before throwing.

But damn, pretty much everything else he does is really good.
In fairness, this is most every QB in college except the very best. And Haynes is only a RS-sophomore. At this stage Joe Ham didn’t have stats this good. QBs can get better and learn, I think Haynes will do that.