Haynes King Update: How Do We Feel About Him?

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
That play selection blew my mind!
Likely as we were on our 10 yard line with 52 seconds and 1 timeout left we started, as many teams do with a run to see if we could get to better field position. As the play didn't get any yards the surprising part was then throwing the ball around after that play.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Simple. QB is the hardest position to play by far.
They also have the biggest impact on the game, touching the ball every play. The rhythm of hiking the ball, hand offs to RB, WR relationships, are all things that aren't direct carry overs, and just trotting out a new qb every drive could have a bigger impact than expected (especially for an offense that can barely execute as it is).

It's also funny because plenty of teams DO switch Qb's when the coach thinks both can perform. We trotted out JT and Vad. We trotted out Marshall and Tobias. Last year Clemson was playing Uiagalelei and Klubnik.

Maybe Faulkner doesn't believe in using two qbs or maybe he and Key think QB #2 is not playing well enough to be a suitable replacement to #1.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
They also have the biggest impact on the game, touching the ball every play. The rhythm of hiking the ball, hand offs to RB, WR relationships, are all things that aren't direct carry overs, and just trotting out a new qb every drive could have a bigger impact than expected (especially for an offense that can barely execute as it is).

It's also funny because plenty of teams DO switch Qb's when the coach thinks both can perform. We trotted out JT and Vad. We trotted out Marshall and Tobias. Last year Clemson was playing Uiagalelei and Klubnik.

Maybe Faulkner doesn't believe in using two qbs or maybe he and Key think QB #2 is not playing well enough to be a suitable replacement to #1.
Switching QBs in and out during games is fairly rare in college football. Part is due to the limited practice time teams have and the number of reps the backup QB gets with the 1st offense. As others have said the backup QB is generally the most popular guy for the fan base when a team has a losing record. Generally the backup QB is a backup for a good reason, the starter is a better player and gives the team a better chance of winning!

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Likely as we were on our 10 yard line with 52 seconds and 1 timeout left we started, as many teams do with a run to see if we could get to better field position. As the play didn't get any yards the surprising part was then throwing the ball around after that play.
PLAY SELECTION, TIME OUTS AT WRONG TIME all go away.

None of this will be used to negatively recruit Or Mock Gt football like the following.

Just Google -" georgia tech football player tackled by his towel boston college video".

How long will this be on the internet?

UGA recruiter " Hey 4 star gt rb recruit, look at this video and let me know if u are serious about being a football player at Gt? Its rumored the coaches have the RBs wear industrial strength towels so toughness as they can drag opponent linebackers.

Does anyone think this not embarrassing?

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
7 picks in the last 3 games is telling. He hit a downward slump. I say give him a shot at UNC but if he messes up, put pyron in. Then he can lead us to a comeback. Maybe

I don't like to be the "put in the backup" guy but at this point, I'm about to be that guy.

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
7 picks in the last 3 games is telling. He hit a downward slump. I say give him a shot at UNC but if he messes up, put pyron in. Then he can lead us to a comeback. Maybe

I don't like to be the "put in the backup" guy but at this point, I'm about to be that guy.
The picks definitely need to stop but I think the positives King has accomplished through 7 games have earned him a bit of a longer leash than that. And keep in mind in the 5 attempts Pyron has on the year 1 of those was an INT

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer

What's your plan when the backup guy comes in and throws 2 Ints in one quarter and gets sacked 3 times in the same quarter? That is far more likely than the backup leading GT to victory.

I think we all agree GTs OL struggles to give King the time he needs in the pocket. Yet GT is #12 in the Nation in fewest sacks allowed this season. King is very good at avoiding sacks.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer

None of this will be used to negatively recruit Or Mock Gt football like the following.

Just Google -" georgia tech football player tackled by his towel boston college video".

UGA recruiter " Hey 4 star gt rb recruit, look at this video and let me know if u are serious about being a football player at Gt? Its rumored the coaches have the RBs wear industrial strength towels so toughness as they can drag opponent linebackers.

Are you seriously saying that one play is embarrassing? What are you talking about? You think people will use that to negatively recruit against us? Lmao.
Here’s an NFL player tackled by stretching his jersey. I guess everyone will say the NFL’s jerseys are embarrassing now

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer

I do not.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
What's your plan when the backup guy comes in and throws 2 Ints in one quarter and gets sacked 3 times in the same quarter? That is far more likely than the backup leading GT to victory.

I think we all agree GTs OL struggles to give King the time he needs in the pocket. Yet GT is #12 in the Nation in fewest sacks allowed this season. King is very good at avoiding sacks.
I am for using Pyron intermittently in certain situations. IMO, Haynes often tries to do too much- and he looked gassed in the 4th quarter against BC

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I am for using Pyron intermittently in certain situations. IMO, Haynes often tries to do too much- and he looked gassed in the 4th quarter against BC
No issue with differing opinions. I am not a 2 QB guy. I believe the guy the coaches believe is the best option should play every down unless hurt or the game is a huge blowout in the 4th quarter.

Southern psu fan

Jolly Good Fellow
I feel good about Haynes King 😁
If we go out and play we can win these next 3 games. Let’s give the defense credit they got the stops to get us back in the game and the stick at the end sealed it. We’ve been tough on the defense but they’ve made plays to win us 3 games when it was crunch time. WF, Miami and NCAR the defense come up big late.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
So true - On his pick tonight, he had a TD to Boyd if he threw to the post route instead
It was a very late breaking open post and it is easier to see from where we are... there is no way haynes didn't see the linebacker his way to throw that.

Senior QB King likely reads the safety bite on the over route and just bombs the post over the backer.