Haynes King Update: How Do We Feel About Him?

57jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Bad day for King. AND no pass rush killed us. Good effort otherwise. But pick 6, and interceptions are hard to overcome.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Made up his mind where he was going with it in the huddle and they weren't afraid to play tight coverage---unlike our soft coverages. He threw into coverage most of the game and sometimes double coverage. Maybe too comfortable in the position and doesn't fear getting benched..

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Not a difference maker. Too often he fails to deliver when we have to have it. I think he has reached his peak and that is just not good enough for us to win most games. I would play Pyron to see if he is any better. This season is now into player development for next season phase. Key should recognize that and work on player development.

Go Jackets!

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck
I don’t know but it worries me that he looks worse as the season progresses. Decision-making seems worse and his passes aren’t as sharp

WrongShadeOfGold

Jolly Good Fellow
Don't forget the Leary drop of a 40 yard dime down the sideline and the no calls on the PI to Leary in the end zone and Rutherford on a 3rd down. Not to mention the fact that King was pretty much running for his life as soon as he got the snap every play. King did not have a great day but there are A LOT of people to blame before King. Start with the coaches that didn't see that we only had 10 defenders on the field for a critical 3rd and 1 coming out of a timeout no less. Then the following play we only had 9 on the field and had to burn a timeout only to give up a TD on the next play. Oh yeah, how about the bone head decision to pretend like we are going for it on 4th and 8 at midfield only to burn a timeout then punt. This was a very Colllins-esque game by our coaching staff. I am in no way advocating for Key to go but I honestly think his ceiling is very low. The biggest rumors for our HC job were Chadwell who is 7-0, Fritz who is about to be 6-1, and Prime who resurrected Colorado football from the dead. So glad we went to the Dollar Tree for our head coach shopping.

JacketFan137

Banned
king wasn’t good today but i feel like the pyron calls are classic tech fans thinking the backup is better than the starter. it’s really weird that even when king has played well he seemingly has to continue to prove himself to a handful of users who can’t get over one decent game against a bad VT team last season.

king is the guy going forward we just need him to play better, the players around him to play better and for the coaches to make better calls for this offense

57jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Don't forget the Leary drop of a 40 yard dime down the sideline and the no calls on the PI to Leary in the end zone and Rutherford on a 3rd down. Not to mention the fact that King was pretty much running for his life as soon as he got the snap every play. King did not have a great day but there are A LOT of people to blame before King. Start with the coaches that didn't see that we only had 10 defenders on the field for a critical 3rd and 1 coming out of a timeout no less. Then the following play we only had 9 on the field and had to burn a timeout only to give up a TD on the next play. Oh yeah, how about the bone head decision to pretend like we are going for it on 4th and 8 at midfield only to burn a timeout then punt. This was a very Colllins-esque game by our coaching staff. I am in no way advocating for Key to go but I honestly think his ceiling is very low. The biggest rumors for our HC job were Chadwell who is 7-0, Fritz who is about to be 6-1, and Prime who resurrected Colorado football from the dead. So glad we went to the Dollar Tree for our head coach shopping.
Excellent points Wrong... Few plays would have changed the game.

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Speaking in response to some of the comments higher up in the Brent Key thread from earlier this week...at the start of Nebraska's season, Matt Rhule brought in a guy at QB who has great physical attributes, and looks tremendous in practice. And then he got in the game and turned the ball over regularly, costing the team the game.

Rhule also has an amazing running back, Anthony Grant, who is capable of incredible runs. But at the start of the season he kept putting the ball on the ground and into the other team's hands.

Today, Jeff Sims remains healthy, but on the bench at Nebraska. And today Anthony Grant got carries for the first time in a number of games. The reason he got relegated down the depth chart? His lack of ball security. Matt Rhule even spoke to the press about it, and it being a problem - they mentioned it in the broadcast.

Reason I bring it up - if our QB keeps doing good things, but also keeps putting the ball in the other team's hands and costing us games, I keep reminding myself we do have a serviceable replacement. I love Haynes King, but if turnovers continue to be an issue, I hope Key will make the hard decision. Not sure if that's now or later, but if King goes cold, I think we may need to bring in the replacement until he's hot again. It's too costly not to.

TampaBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Does anybody know what happened on that fumble that Scaglione recovered. Our running back was running through the gap like he was positive King had the ball. King is rolling out to the right like he is positive the RB has the ball. The ball was just laying there between 2 BC defenders and somehow Scaglione dives over a defender and is able to cover the ball. King slapping himself in the head. A very odd play during a sequence of odd 4th quarter plays by the team.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
King looks good like 90% of the time. The problem is the other 10%: baffling throws and decision that frequently completely detail the offense.
I sometimes wonder if he is trying to do too much because he thinks he needs to make something happen. The pressure to make a big play seems to grow when receivers drop balls, an offensive lineman false starts, running backs get stuffed, or the defense gives up a big play.