Haynes King Update: How Do We Feel About Him?

GetYourBuzzOn

Georgia Tech Fan
ESPN published an article today grading the 46 transfers in college football. I agree with Haynes' grade here. The only QB's with higher grades were Shadeur Sanders and TJ Finley.

Grade Tier: A-

Haynes King, Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets

Transferred from: Texas A&M

2023 stats: 1,631 passing yards, 16 TD passes, 6 interceptions, 222 rushing yards, 2 rushing TDs

How he has fared so far: King, a former top-50 recruit who opened the past two seasons as Texas A&M's starter, has been productive in his first season with Georgia Tech. He has four games of 290 passing yards or more, and three of 42 rushing yards or more. King has had multiple touchdown passes in five games, and his 16 TD passes are tied for third nationally. He has been a solid contributor on the ground, especially with 53 yards on only six carries in a road win against Wake Forest, and ranks No. 16 nationally in total offense. Entering Week 6, King and LSU's Jayden Daniels were the only FBS quarterbacks with at least 1,400 passing yards, 150 rushing yards and 15 touchdown passes.

malak05

Jolly Good Fellow
I really like King for his play style but even more as a representative of a tech man. Clear concise thoughts presented humbly in any scenario. Full ownership of mistakes, shared glory in success. He seems like he was raised extremely well and has thorough understanding of where he’s at and where he needs to be.
I’ll be the first to say I wasn’t sure about the decision for him over Pyron because I had many of the same praises for the red headed slinger. But he has proven to a huge asset for the team that I’ll be sad to see go one day, regardless of who is behind him. I think Pyron will have his name at Tech as well. But I look forward to looking back on the King era, as I believe it will be a fruitful one.
Looking into the Future the best scenario to be would be King has a monster year next year leads GT to being back as a ranked team and 8+ wins and declares for the draft as a Junior and Pyron steps up into that role as Junior and has 2 more fantastic years as he's learned and matured.

GetYourBuzzOn

Georgia Tech Fan
Looking into the Future the best scenario to be would be King has a monster year next year leads GT to being back as a ranked team and 8+ wins and declares for the draft as a Junior and Pyron steps up into that role as Junior and has 2 more fantastic years as he's learned and matured.
To be able to develop a QB to the point where they are in a position to declare early for the draft would be a tremendous boost to the program, from a recruiting standpoint (provided the Offensive staff stays in place).

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Imo, King will not leave unless he wins ACC championship.

But, your scenario would be great as well.

Flajacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Watching Tenn and A&M and the QB play for TAM. Of course, everything is through gold colored glasses, but TAM would be up 10 if Haynes was still there. The current QB has missed easy throws and made some bad choices.
game isn’t over, but I’m glad Haynes is at Tech.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Watching Tenn and A&M and the QB play for TAM. Of course, everything is through gold colored glasses, but TAM would be up 10 if Haynes was still there. The current QB has missed easy throws and made some bad choices.
FYI - Johnson is the backup at A&M. The hurt starter is the same guy who beat out King last year.

GetYourBuzzOn

Georgia Tech Fan
Haynes was a different player at TAMU, and he still might be the same player had he stayed. Weinke, Faulkner and Co deserve a lot of credit for his development.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Haynes or Pyron are not super talents but can be very good w taleneted support.

HK still tries to force throws. The miami interception when he rolled to sidline is prime example. THREE GT RECIEVERS- gathered in one spot down the sideline and hoped he would throw it to them. HK threw into the crowd. Had one of the recievers gone deep things could have been different, but making HS plays must stop. He has done what coaches ask (long ball, spread passes to multiple recievers, move in pocket while lookin down field, till miami almost no interceptions, starting to run more)

If gt puts a complete game together against BC and does well against UNC , the HK will be in solid as a top Gt qb

TechPhi97

Ramblin' Wreck
Haynes or Pyron are not super talents but can be very good w taleneted support.

HK still tries to force throws. The miami interception when he rolled to sidline is prime example. THREE GT RECIEVERS- gathered in one spot down the sideline and hoped he would throw it to them. HK threw into the crowd. Had one of the recievers gone deep things could have been different, but making HS plays must stop. He has done what coaches ask (long ball, spread passes to multiple recievers, move in pocket while lookin down field, till miami almost no interceptions, starting to run more)

If gt puts a complete game together against BC and does well against UNC , the HK will be in solid as a top Gt qb
Every college QB forces throws. Look at Maye - he forces stuff all the time and makes plenty of ugly throws. It’s exceedingly rare to find a college QB that makes all the right reads and decisions.

57jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Every college QB forces throws. Look at Maye - he forces stuff all the time and makes plenty of ugly throws. It’s exceedingly rare to find a college QB that makes all the right reads and decisions.
Excellent thought Tech. You are correct. And, Sometimes if you have a great reciever, he can still make the catch of a bad throw in a crowd.

slugboy

Staff member
Favre and HoF QBs forced throws all the time. Sometimes you get burned that way; sometimes you’re on a highlight reel.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Excellent thought Tech. You are correct. And, Sometimes if you have a great reciever, he can still make the catch of a bad throw in a crowd.
not to mention, receivers are pretty well protected. They are going to get the benefit of the doubt most of the time, so you may get the 15 instead. Even if your receiver can’t make a catch, he can pretty much maul the defender to avoid the INT. Offensive PI is only called on pick plays!

JacketFan137

Banned
people also drastically overrate going through progressions in college. in the nfl the first read gets the target ~70% of the time and in college it’s higher. if your offense needs the qb to get to his second and third read all the time it’s a bad offense

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I just watched Oregon v Washington. And there was Haynes as a senior at QB for Oregon: Bo Nix. Same style, same arm, but Nix shows more judgement on some throws, is more willing to run, and has better cast helping out. If Tech gets him the team he needs, King could become a real winner for us.

Not that he's a slouch as is, of course.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I can understand Haynes forcing things at times as he likely feels the pressure of trying to score a lot to win games I don't understand Maye doing so as he has a talented line and a stable of very good backs to rely on. It is not like he has to do it all.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I just watched Oregon v Washington. And there was Haynes as a senior at QB for Oregon: Bo Nix. Same style, same arm, but Nix shows more judgement on some throws, is more willing to run, and has better cast helping out. If Tech gets him the team he needs, King could become a real winner for us.

Not that he's a slouch as is, of course.
What is this year for Nix? He may be a 6 year guy. He is a lot better now than at Auburn but he is a lot more experienced.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
I am scratching my head. Which is apparently what A&M fans often did too. If next week wasn’t such a tough opponent, I’d be open to starting Pyron.