Haynes King Update: How Do We Feel About Him?

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
King seemed inconsistent on his throws yesterday but that can happen in a game. Good news is he didn’t do anything too egregious that could have given the game away. Even when he’s not spectacular he plays smart now and doesn’t hurt us.

Can’t wait to see him when he puts it all together for one game. That will be a scary moment for an opponent.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
King seemed inconsistent on his throws yesterday but that can happen in a game. Good news is he didn’t do anything too egregious that could have given the game away. Even when he’s not spectacular he plays smart now and doesn’t hurt us.

Can’t wait to see him when he puts it all together for one game. That will be a scary moment for an opponent.
Permit me a different take. On one play in the second half, King handed the ball off and the running back went to his right and cut back to the left, King blocked one man went down and brush blocked another. Not exactly the pancakes that Coach Key executed back in the day but effective in helping turn what could have been a negative play into a positive but more importantly showing that King had the presence of mind to help his running back and hustled to do so. Players notice little things like that.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Permit me a different take. On one play in the second half, King handed the ball off and the running back went to his right and cut back to the left, King blocked one man went down and brush blocked another. Not exactly the pancakes that Coach Key executed back in the day but effective in helping turn what could have been a negative play into a positive but more importantly showing that King had the presence of mind to help his running back and hustled to do so. Players notice little things like that.
Oh I agree completely that he is managing the game, showing leadership and doing the little things to win. Not knocking him to say he was inconsistent throwing.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer

I thought his long throw down the middle that was intercepted was pretty well on the money, but the receiver slowed up just a bit. He was very well covered, though. He missed a couple others, but still a good game overall. And that arrow to the tight end's chest down the sideline was electrifying.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
It seems like we are still in the mode of trying things to see what works and what doesn't work. It seems like we still don't know our personnel well enough to exploit their full potential. Perhaps that's true of every team at this point in the season. One thing we need to really focus on is our running game. It seems we have difficulty generating the 5-yard run on first down, the short yardage third down run and almost any run in the red zone. I think we have the talent to get very good at all of those scenarios. Our offensive line is coming on and getting better and better. Both Cooley and Haynes have shown the can run hard and get the yardage if they get any blocking at all. Smith will add to that when he is healthy. When we can throw off the run fake, it will really open up things for this offense.

We really are not utilizing King's ability to run like we can, especially in the red zone. His passing has been good but I think he can improve and will with more time with his receivers. Singleton and Weatherford are homerun threats that we should target multiple times a game. The tight ends are still being under-utilized and I think that will come along as the season advances.

While the play calling is OK, I really think there is a lot of room for improvement here. Just too much of calling the same plays over and over and not flushing them and moving on to something else that is working. I think Faulkner and Weinke need to really focus on putting our guys in the best possible position to make positive yardage on every play.

The offense has a lot of potential and I am hopeful we can exploit our talent and develop this into a really top-notch aspect of our team.

Go Jackets!

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
It seems like we are still in the mode of trying things to see what works and what doesn't work. It seems like we still don't know our personnel well enough to exploit their full potential. Perhaps that's true of every team at this point in the season. One thing we need to really focus on is our running game. It seems we have difficulty generating the 5-yard run on first down, the short yardage third down run and almost any run in the red zone. I think we have the talent to get very good at all of those scenarios. Our offensive line is coming on and getting better and better. Both Cooley and Haynes have shown the can run hard and get the yardage if they get any blocking at all. Smith will add to that when he is healthy. When we can throw off the run fake, it will really open up things for this offense.

We really are not utilizing King's ability to run like we can, especially in the red zone. His passing has been good but I think he can improve and will with more time with his receivers. Singleton and Weatherford are homerun threats that we should target multiple times a game. The tight ends are still being under-utilized and I think that will come along as the season advances.

While the play calling is OK, I really think there is a lot of room for improvement here. Just too much of calling the same plays over and over and not flushing them and moving on to something else that is working. I think Faulkner and Weinke need to really focus on putting our guys in the best possible position to make positive yardage on every play.

The offense has a lot of potential and I am hopeful we can exploit our talent and develop this into a really top-notch aspect of our team.

Go Jackets!
Interesting take. In 2022 GT was #125 in total offense averaging 325 yards per game and 17 points per game. In 2023 thru 4 games GT is #17 in total offense averaging 480 yards per game and 34 points per game. That is remarkable improvement in the 4 games this year 3 of which were against FBS teams whose combined record is 10-2.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer

Go Jackets!
I was sitting right behind the Tech bench and Dontae Smith was dressed out with his helmet on the whole game. I think he’s just 3rd string now. Which is disappointing imo. I’m not a huge fan of Cooley’s running style.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
I thought his long throw down the middle that was intercepted was pretty well on the money, but the receiver slowed up just a bit. He was very well covered, though. He missed a couple others, but still a good game overall. And that arrow to the tight end's chest down the sideline was electrifying.
The INT you referenced was a poorly placed throw. When he saw the receiver and decided to throw he should have aimed at the numbers, he laid it on the hash marks. He puts that on the numbers and it's a nice long completion, Db has no chance to intercept. Last night's game he just seemed out of synch to me & not just on this throw because his tendency is good ball placement. It was 50-50 Saturday night. It wasn't like he was heavily pressured, just something was off.

As someone else said, he had a down night by his standards but still found a way to win. It's good when you can win on the road & you personally didn't play well. Good things are ahead.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
I was sitting right behind the Tech bench and Dontae Smith was dressed out with his helmet on the whole game. I think he’s just 3rd string now. Which is disappointing imo. I’m not a huge fan of Cooley’s running style.
I'm curious, what is wrong with his running style as opposed to that of Dontae. Seems to me he has been very productive up to this point.

TechPhi97

Ramblin' Wreck
I still see that pass to the TE in my head. That was a STRIKE. Just shows what he can do.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
The INT you referenced was a poorly placed throw. When he saw the receiver and decided to throw he should have aimed at the numbers, he laid it on the hash marks. He puts that on the numbers and it's a nice long completion, Db has no chance to intercept. Last night's game he just seemed out of synch to me & not just on this throw because his tendency is good ball placement. It was 50-50 Saturday night. It wasn't like he was heavily pressured, just something was off.

As someone else said, he had a down night by his standards but still found a way to win. It's good when you can win on the road & you personally didn't play well. Good things are ahead.
Could have been the rain/wet ball. He had several passes that sailed pretty long, may have slipped. I wasn't especially bothered by the INT, felt like we were trying to throw bombs a little too often in the first half and expecting our WRs to make a play, and we eventually got beat.
I'm curious, what is wrong with his running style as opposed to that of Dontae. Seems to me he has been very productive up to this point.
Cooley does a lot of dancing for no extra yards, but all of the RBs have left yards on the field this season either doing the same or slowing up instead of hitting the hole or defender and running through them.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
I don’t think he breaks many tackles, waits for his blocks, or runs with much wiggle. He’s also fumbled twice in the past three weeks. I don’t think he’s been productive the past two weeks (his poor grades reflect as such).

Haynes is better than both and I’m glad is getting a bulk of the work now.