Haynes King Update: How Do We Feel About Him?

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
King had time to make throws. Yes, there were some breakdowns but so did Ole Miss at times. King was not running for his life all night. The running game with Haynes and Cooley had some good gains. The OL sure looks better to me. Ole Miss could have scored 50+ on us last year but shut it down. Last night they were still slinging it late in the 4th to run up the score. We had close to 500 yards of offense. The OL did ok. The D gave up 550 yards and several big plays.
i still have a pit in my stomach with our OL when we get in the red zone Especially inside the 10.

57jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
· According to Pro Football Focus, quarterback Haynes King (offense) and Douse (defense) were Tech’s highest-graded players in Saturday’s loss to Ole Miss.

· King ranks eighth nationally with nine passing touchdowns, ninth with 303.3 passing yards per game and 10th with 335 total yards of offense per game.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think King (combined with Faulkner) is the single biggest reason we were competitive against both L'ville and Ole Miss.
Without King starting at QB I don't think we are competitive with either team. He makes the whole offense work because he can make the throws and can also bear people with his feet. I don't think we have another QB that can do that right now (Pyron might be able to eventually).

The defense was only on the field for 20 min Saturday and still looked like it was completely out of gas (or maybe simply just not very talented).
Looking at our 2nd half numbers we are likely going to need to be up by at least 10 pts on P5 teams going into the 4th Quarter if we want to win games.

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
· According to Pro Football Focus, quarterback Haynes King (offense) and Douse (defense) were Tech’s highest-graded players in Saturday’s loss to Ole Miss.

· King ranks eighth nationally with nine passing touchdowns, ninth with 303.3 passing yards per game and 10th with 335 total yards of offense per game.
King >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Sims
How our fortune has turned

TampaBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
We are 2-1 potentially 3-0 if we have a D that could stop a clock, but instead all the talk is about the offense.
I'm curious...did you have any serious expectation that we would be 2-1 or 3-0 after 3 games before the season started? As far as I can tell, our record is exactly what most everyone expected. However, the offense is playing really well and the losses have been much more competitive than expected - giving us all hope for future success. The losses, while expected, have been much more competitive for the team and also more emotionally painful for us fans. I am guardedly optimistic that we are gonna run off 3 - 4 victories in row starting at WF.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
I think King (combined with Faulkner) is the single biggest reason we were competitive against both L'ville and Ole Miss.
Without King starting at QB I don't think we are competitive with either team. He makes the whole offense work because he can make the throws and can also bear people with his feet. I don't think we have another QB that can do that right now (Pyron might be able to eventually).

The defense was only on the field for 20 min Saturday and still looked like it was completely out of gas (or maybe simply just not very talented).
Looking at our 2nd half numbers we are likely going to need to be up by at least 10 pts on P5 teams going into the 4th Quarter if we want to win games.
I think King is more polished and a little bit faster than what we saw from Pyron last season, but Pyron can absolutely make the throws and beat people on the ground too. Both are very high football IQ, and that's good for Tech.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
King had time to make throws. Yes, there were some breakdowns but so did Ole Miss at times. King was not running for his life all night. The running game with Haynes and Cooley had some good gains. The OL sure looks better to me. Ole Miss could have scored 50+ on us last year but shut it down. Last night they were still slinging it late in the 4th to run up the score. We had close to 500 yards of offense. The OL did ok. The D gave up 550 yards and several big plays.
The D needs to go back to the pressure defense we used last year w the talented LB.
We cant get pressure w/o rushing 5 and spying 1.

They can score on long passes anytime they want to try.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
The losses, while expected, have been much more competitive for the team and also more emotionally painful for us fans. I am guardedly optimistic that we are gonna run off 3 - 4 victories in row starting at WF.
Yes, most of us thought we’d be 1-2. However, given how atrocious we were on offense the last 4 years, I doubt many of us thought it would have been the offense that was the reason we were competitive in these games.

Faulkner and the rest of the O staff (and players of course) should be applauded for a monumental turn around. King is a crucial piece who is elevating the whole team.

I think it’s fair for us to be angry about the defense while still applauding the efforts of the offense. We really could be 2-1 or 3-0 if our defense wasn’t playing poorly because of how much better the O has been than expected.

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Yes, most of us thought we’d be 1-2. However, given how atrocious we were on offense the last 4 years, I doubt many of us thought it would have been the offense that was the reason we were competitive in these games.

Faulkner and the rest of the O staff (and players of course) should be applauded for a monumental turn around. King is a crucial piece who is elevating the whole team.

I think it’s fair for us to be angry about the defense while still applauding the efforts of the offense. We really could be 2-1 or 3-0 if our defense wasn’t playing poorly because of how much better the O has been than expected.
Agreed, for the most part. While let me be clear in emphasizing that I'm not apologizing for the defense (because the fundamentals have indeed been crummy), I do think there's something to be said about losing the 4 best players on that side of the field over the course of the offseason. We knew Charlie, Ace, and Keion were the strengths of the defense last year, but I don't think any of us realized just how important and difficult to replace they were. Additionally, Akelo Stone was voted captain after the spring game, and I imagine Zamari Walton would have garnered some votes for that honor as well. We lost both of them, along with Demetrius Knight, who likely would have gotten the start at LB.

All of which is to say, I think the biggest issue at hand may be the lost talent, and that we swung and missed at the transfer portal this offseason to replace the departing talent. Ultimately, it's Thacker's responsibility - but none of us should underestimate what a crummy hand you start with when you lose the level of talent we lost between last year and this fall. Here's hoping iron sharpens iron, and they continue to improve over the course of the season. If they don't, it's going to be a long couple of months.

NorthAvenueNation

Jolly Good Fellow
Who’s the idiot that wrote that article that Corn people got better and GT got worse due to QBs? That dude should be relegated to Vanity Fair or Cosmo for sports reporting for punishment. That’s one major league dumbass right there

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck

JacketFan137

Banned
King is currentl 35 in ESPN QBR: https://www.espn.com/college-football/qbr
He is 21 is passer efficiency: https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/individual/8

Stark contrast to previous years and he's only three games in to a new team. Really impressed with what I have seen.
i think this also speaks volumes to the coaching staff as well. i feel like they have set up king and our playmakers in a position to actually make plays. our playcalling looks like we know what we’re doing

it’s been fun watching cause my nfl team got monken and my college team got his protege and they have completely revamped both offenses and we both look 100x better

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
To me our play calling is still inconsistent. Especially coming out of the half. We seem to call very conservative plays and fail to capitalize on any momentum we have built up. Too reliant on quick hitches to the outside. We need to work the running game more and use the quarterback like Ole Miss did. King is a good runner and smart about getting down before he takes the big hit. Hopefully, things will progresss and we will become an efficient, offensive machine that can control the game and take as much pressure as possible off of our defense.

Go Jackets!

CEB

Helluva Engineer
To me our play calling is still inconsistent. Especially coming out of the half. We seem to call very conservative plays and fail to capitalize on any momentum we have built up. Too reliant on quick hitches to the outside. We need to work the running game more and use the quarterback like Ole Miss did. King is a good runner and smart about getting down before he takes the big hit. Hopefully, things will progresss and we will become an efficient, offensive machine that can control the game and take as much pressure as possible off of our defense.

Go Jackets!
I’m with you on the coming out of the half. I’m not convinced it’s play calling, but I’m feeling like we have eased up coming out of the half. It may have been a little playcallling vs Lville (so few plays it’s hard to say), but I think we got flat out outplayed coming out of the half at Miss. coaches need to be working on it, regardless.
Killer instinct out of the half is huge for setting the tone. Conversely, when we get stuffed and then give up points, we’re the ones backsliding.