Haynes King Update: How Do We Feel About Him?

GT33

Helluva Engineer
King can't go anywhere as he has used his one transfer. He would have to sit out a year and no NIL group/school is paying for a guy to sit out a year
Weinke's done miracles with this kid. He now has a legit shot at the NFL & a chance of beingdrafted not just an UDFA. You think if there were no restrictions he'd risk trying to compete somewhere else and hope you mesh with that style when you have so much $$ riding on it? If I'm him, I'm wherever Weinke is next year to prep for the NFL.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
I would trade him for a really great defensive tackle in a New York second. This defense cannot get pressure and cannot tackle in the open field.
Do not agree, although we definitely need help on the DL, good QB's are harder to find and King will keep us competitive. We are 1-2, but both losses we were in the game into the 4thQ. Also, our tackling issue should be fixable, if not a certain Defensive Coach should be held accountable.

AugustaSwarm

Jolly Good Fellow
Receivers catch the ball it’s a different ball game. QB was great everyone else not so much.
The O line played better in this game too. The drops are tough - they would have been great catches because the defenders made good plays.

The defense is the biggest problem. IMO, Thacker should be at the end of his leash. Zero pass rush, piss poor tackling, and D seemed to check out late in the 4th quarter. I've been hot and cold on Thack. I hope he succeeds, but at this point I think we've seen what he can do.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
Do not agree, although we definitely need help on the DL, good QB's are harder to find and King will keep us competitive. We are 1-2, but both losses we were in the game into the 4thQ. Also, our tackling issue should be fixable, if not a certain Defensive Coach should be held accountable.
King looks good. Disappointed in the failures by WRs to win contested balls. REALLY disappointed in the defense and ST play.

nod

Ramblin' Wreck
My only issue was the slide on 3rd and long about 4/5 yards short of 1st down when we needed a score, think 2nd QTR.
To me it looked like he could have taking to the 1st down marker, would have been tough get, 50/50, kind of play that would spark team if he made it..

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
I’ll keep him. I hope he and Faulkner and winkie can keep Singleton happy. He is very, very, very special. We need to pay Singleton whatever he wants. That’s how this game is played in 2023, right?

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
mccollum was a stud for us and is a massive loss. he was by FAR the best player on the field for unc today and would be by FAR the best WR at tech
Disappointed he left for a competing ACC team. Maye targeted him yesterday and he had a big game. Seems every game I watch now, the teams are full of transfers.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Good quarterbacks are harder to find? Disagree entirely. Lots of teams have good quarterbacks, more still have excellent receivers, more still have fine running backs, but defensive linemen who can actually combine the holy trinity of size, quickness, and strength are as rare as hen's teeth. The truly elite teams take the few that are available leaving the others with ones who are either not big enough, or in our case too slow to make a difference. IIWII

Vanillalite

Georgia Tech Fan
Disappointed he left for a competing ACC team. Maye targeted him yesterday and he had a big game. Seems every game I watch now, the teams are full of transfers.
It’ll start to even out as this is the last year of the Covid years I think. Had a log jam so to speak of guys who wanted to play because the Covid hardship gave everyone an extra year of eligibility.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
Good quarterbacks are harder to find? Disagree entirely. Lots of teams have good quarterbacks, more still have excellent receivers, more still have fine running backs, but defensive linemen who can actually combine the holy trinity of size, quickness, and strength are as rare as hen's teeth. The truly elite teams take the few that are available leaving the others with ones who are either not big enough, or in our case too slow to make a difference. IIWII
OK, try this take, name the last QB we had drafted and playing in the NFL, now name the last DL we had drafted and playing in the NFL ...

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
OK, try this take, name the last QB we had drafted and playing in the NFL, now name the last DL we had drafted and playing in the NFL ...
Being good in college and being good in the NFL are two entirely different things. I don't give a tinker's damn about the NFL. Georgia Tech is a unique place with challenges that are not found in the vast majority of college football programs. I stand by my assertion that defensive linemen are harder to find and harder to develop into good players especially at Tech. Good quarterbacks are easier to find and develop but truly elite ones well, even the factories have to sometimes get by with only a 4 star instead of the coveted 5 star. Clemson had two of them last year and got rid of one for the other. We should have such problems.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
Being good in college and being good in the NFL are two entirely different things. I don't give a tinker's damn about the NFL. Georgia Tech is a unique place with challenges that are not found in the vast majority of college football programs. I stand by my assertion that defensive linemen are harder to find and harder to develop into good players especially at Tech. Good quarterbacks are easier to find and develop but truly elite ones well, even the factories have to sometimes get by with only a 4 star instead of the coveted 5 star. Clemson had two of them last year and got rid of one for the other. We should have such problems.
No doubt about what you said about our school and IMO that's a reason for all of us to be proud of, but the players we need to build this football program do care about the NFL ... I'll settle for we agree to disagree on this one :)

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
It’ll start to even out as this is the last year of the Covid years I think. Had a log jam so to speak of guys who wanted to play because the Covid hardship gave everyone an extra year of eligibility.
Only allowing one transfer without sitting a year will have an effect. (I expect that to get challenged in court). UNC is having a hissy fit over Tez White. There are lots of players with the extra year. A lot of 6 year guys and several grad transfers with 2 years eligibility. NIL money also can keep experienced players in school longer who may not have gotten drafted and can make some cash in college. Unfortunately some can make more in college than a job after they leave school.

Last edited:

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Singleton had 97 receiving yards this week as a true freshman. I am not saying he isn’t talented my take is his skill set it duplicated throughout the country he is a dime a dozen. By no means a top 20 WR in the country
We have some good receivers on this team and a good QB. Now fix the defense please.