Haynes King Update: How Do We Feel About Him?

dmurdock

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't think its hyperbole to say that Haynes King may have the best single season (passing wise) in GT history from a statistical standpoint at the end of the season.

And Singleton has a good chance of topping Calvin's Freshman record of 7 TD passes caught. He has two in two games and is definitely part of the rotation with 10 games to go. In fact, I wonder if Calvin's Tech record of 15 might be broken (not necessarily by Singleton) this year.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
And Singleton has a good chance of topping Calvin's Freshman record of 7 TD passes caught. He has two in two games and is definitely part of the rotation with 10 games to go. In fact, I wonder if Calvin's Tech record of 15 might be broken (not necessarily by Singleton) this year.
That will be tough since Singleton only plays about a third of offensive snaps while Calvin rarely left the field. Then again Calvin had Reggie Ball throwing to him so that just about makes them even.

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
I think another stat that speaks to King's ability (and our WR/RB depth) is that we have 7 players with about 50 yards or more receiving after 2 games and another TE with only 10 yards but 2 TDs. He is able to distribute the ball around to everyone. Honestly I was rooting for Pyron (and I still hopes he stays on), but I can see why the coaches went with King. He still has some room to grow for sure but he is a breath of fresh air after years of QB struggles.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
That will be tough since Singleton only plays about a third of offensive snaps while Calvin rarely left the field. Then again Calvin had Reggie Ball throwing to him so that just about makes them even.
We the GT fanbase are going to have to pay this kid some NIL $$$ at the end of the season or he’s gonna get stolen from us!

Greenjackets

Georgia Tech Fan
Think it really helps that he is 22 years old and already has a undergraduate degree from A&M. Will be very interesting to see how he plays at Ole Miss. He has started bigger games on the road so hoping he maintains good composure regardless of how the game flows.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
The game against SC state doesn't really say anything which is basically the best case in a game like that. Too much difference in talent level to really draw many conclusions. So not really much has changed since the UL game.

Against UL, King was very similar to the offense as a whole. Great in the second quarter, and mostly bad outside of it.

2nd Quarter - King was 5/6 (83%) for 184, (30.6 ypa) 2TD, 2 rushes for 13 yards.

Rest of game - King was 14/26 (54%) for 129 (4.96 ypa) 1 TD, 1 INT, 8 rushed for 40 yards. 1 fumble. Those numbers aren't good on their own, and it should be noted that the last drive he was 5/6 for 67 yards which was against UL when they were playing mostly prevent bringing 3 and trying to leverage the clock. Obviously King and the rest of the offense still need to execute but

For King, and the offense as a whole, the second quarter was a clear outlier. He's not going to average 83% passing and go over 700 yards in a game with 8 TDs for one game much less that be an average or anywhere close to it. Also, the rest of the game likely, and hopefully, is also not a completely accurate indication given that it was the first game in a new system. He will likely pass for over 54% and probably average more than 172 yards passing a game. He'll almost certainly fall somewhere in the middle of those numbers, and the question is where will he fall in that spectrum. Was that second quarter a fluke predicated on a big play frequency that we won't normally have? Or was it just an exaggerated example of an offense that will generate big plays fairly frequently? One game won't really tell us that.

The thing that concerned me about the UL game is that our success seemed very reliant on the big plays. Our TD drives in the second quarter were 3,4,5 and 9 plays. However, for the 9 play drive the last 6 were to go 12 yards to punch it in after getting there off a 46 yard play. A similar thing happened against SCSU where 4 of our 6 TDs were either off a short field set up by the defense or a big play. We did have two sustained TD drives but also 3 drives that petered out into FGAs which isn't good considering our kicking situation and defense. It should be noted that a drive that has a big play take away an opportunity for a sustained drive which affects things.

Overall, I'm not really that concerned about King other than the tendencies he came in with from TAMU. The longer he is here the less influence that will have though. I am significantly more worried about our OL which I think is a bigger cause of the feast or famine that we've seem to have had so far this year.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
We the GT fanbase are going to have to pay this kid some NIL $$$ at the end of the season or he’s gonna get stolen from us!
He's already transferred once. I think he's in grad school too, so there may not be an option for transfer without sitting out a year. The $$ may support that, but I figure he's here for 2 years (how long it takes to get a MS).

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Every guy at WR is electric these guys by the end of the year will be something special to watch
And we don’t have a single senior WR in the program, not even the walk-ons. So they’re all eligible to return next season. I expect we’ll see a transfer or two (e.g. DJ Moore, James BlackStrain), but this position group is talented and deep.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
He's already transferred once. I think he's in grad school too, so there may not be an option for transfer without sitting out a year. The $$ may support that, but I figure he's here for 2 years (how long it takes to get a MS).
No he was in highschool last year

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
The coaching staff knew what they were doing.

That is really heartening.
You make an interesting point that’s flown under the radar a bit. By this time of the season, most fanbases, ourselves included, are questioning the coach’s QB selection, particularly after a loss. Not many of us are, which says a lot about how CBK and his team are managing the decision process around who starts and who is backup. This despite the Pyronomania last year. Don't get me wrong, I like Pyron a lot and am excited to see him develop.