Haynes King Update: How Do We Feel About Him?

grandpa jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
He’s definitely better than the Tide QB. Brent Key did good getting him to Ga Tech. If he shines other good QB’s will want to play at Ga Tech. This year we just gotta find a way to win.
Saban has several problems, QB and Dcordinator . Kevin Steele has been everywhere and i have never been impressed. The season is early but, Bama right now would lose big-time to UGAG or FSU.

seanfloyd18

Georgia Tech Fan
As a younger GT Fan, curious as to what people think Haynes might look like end of season. I mean, obviously anything can happen, but he’s almost half way to top 5 TD in a season with 10 games left to play. The game has definitely evolved and GT went the opposite direction, so there’s easily room for a modern QB to make history here, soon.

Attachments

• IMG_9373.jpeg
    IMG_9373.jpeg
    656.9 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_9372.jpeg
    IMG_9372.jpeg
    676.9 KB · Views: 73

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I watched a lot of football yesterday since I passed on the 7 hour round trip drive since I’m doing the 14 hour round trip drive to Ole Miss. Not many QB’s looked better than King. Sure, some teams helped their QB look better, but stripping away everything other than QB play and King is right there with every one. He makes reads, delivers the ball on time and in stride, puts the ball where only the receiver can catch it. Short, medium, long, wide, or across the middle - he can make them all. I haven’t seen a pass from a GT QB like the one to Seither for the TD in a long time. He put that ball on the money. But, as always, our wins will be determined by the play of the offensive line. If they play well we will score points and can win shootouts. If we can’t score 35 we won’t win many games with our defense.

bearla96

Georgia Tech Fan
I don't think its hyperbole to say that Haynes King may have the best single season (passing wise) in GT history from a statistical standpoint at the end of the season.

TechPhi97

Ramblin' Wreck
He anticipates the receiver and hits them in stride better than any QB we‘ve had since Godsey
Exactly. And is more accurate than anyone I can remember since Godsey. And has good arm strength with touch. Areas for improvement are holding the ball a little too long (more on OC, really) and putting a little more air under his long ball, but I couldn’t be happier that those are the things he needs to work on.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I like him. But my question as a Red shirt sophomore who already is playing as graduate student how many more years he will play here. I know he has 3 year he can play but wjat are your thoughts.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I like him. But my question as a Red shirt sophomore who already is playing as graduate student how many more years he will play here. I know he has 3 year he can play but wjat are your thoughts.
He isn't close to being an NFL QB so what are his other options?

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
He isn't close to being an NFL QB so what are his other options?
I kinda agree, but he may be better than Ridder and Richardson right now and both of those guys convinced 2 NFL franchises t9 make them starters. There are a lot of bad QB‘s in the NFL so the next few drafts will have a lot of QB’s taken.

fairweatherhater

Georgia Tech Fan
"I kinda agree, but he may be better than Ridder and Richardson right now and both of those guys convinced 2 NFL franchises t9 make them starters. There are a lot of bad QB‘s in the NFL so the next few drafts will have a lot of QB’s taken."

Lol, I'm all on board the King train but he is nowhere near NFL good yet. It's been far too long since GT has had an NFL ready QB and this is just a reminder. Not all QBs can go the Tom Brady route and develop after the fact

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
"I kinda agree, but he may be better than Ridder and Richardson right now and both of those guys convinced 2 NFL franchises t9 make them starters. There are a lot of bad QB‘s in the NFL so the next few drafts will have a lot of QB’s taken."

Lol, I'm all on board the King train but he is nowhere near NFL good yet. It's been far too long since GT has had an NFL ready QB and this is just a reminder. Not all QBs can go the Tom Brady route and develop after the fact
Who was the last "NFL ready" QB that we've had? I can't think of any (even Joe Ham was too short), but my memory only goes back so far. I agree it's been far too long.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Rick Strom was the last GT QB that had any significant NFL QB experience. Andy Hall started at GT, then transferred to Delaware. He played 2 years in the NFL.
35 years is a long time to go without an NFL-level QB. I actually do remember Strom but didn't realize he lasted as long as he did in the league.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
My thoughts? In this environment it is unwise or foolish to project a player 2-3 years down the road (maybe it always was?). Just have to enjoy the game and the season without looking ahead. Remember the guy we had at RB who came here under the former coach then left and played awhile at Bama? He showed flashes of being an all-time great here. Going forward, the records of guys like Joe Ham, Robert Lavette, Calvin Johnson, Keith Brooking, etc. may never be broken as players will come and go without playing more than 1-3 years.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
He needs to stay healthy. He couldn't do that at A&M.
Yeah but how much of that was because of the play calling of Dumbo Fisher? But to answer the original question I will say that if anyone told me that his stats after two games would be what they are I would have taken that 10 times out of ten. He puts the ball where it needs to be and has the arm strength to squeeze it into tight spaces when he has to. He also has the benefit of an offensive coordinator that calls fairly high percentage plays. Add to that speed that we haven't seen much before at both the wide receiver and running back positions and I think he has a pretty good recipe for success going forward. Louisville has a pretty good defense and we were able to put up 34 on them. If we are able to do something close to that this weekend then we will really have something. At this point I can see why he won the starting job.