Have we filled all of our coaching vacancies yet?

THWG

Helluva Engineer
No, the hire is fine. Keeping Thack as D coordinator is bigger issue. (and Collins’ thought process on the D side changes). With that said, Collins should get to decide his own fate.
Ok, just wanted to make sure because it seems like other posters are upset with this hire just because he has worked with Collins before which is extremely dumb.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
If Thacker is going to be the DC, he better have learned a lot from his failures last season. I’m not opposed to the idea of having our DC completely dedicated to that role only, but I have little confidence in the defensive play calling and personnel packages we’ve seen from Thacker thus far. I’m willing to forgive his role in the failings of the secondary the past 2 seasons because he had the linebackers to oversee, and the staffing of that unit was Collins’ responsibility, but the scheming of the front 6 put them into disadvantageous matchups more often than not this past season, and that can’t keep happening. Hopefully with more time on his hands, Thacker can spend more time analyzing what’s working and what’s not, and he can make better game plans that don’t result in us getting pushed around due to double teams and size mismatches.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Ok, just wanted to make sure because it seems like other posters are upset with this hire just because he has worked with Collins before which is extremely dumb.
Well, I wouldn't say association with Collins in the past is necessarily a bad thing, but his former associates haven't worked out well so far.
But I'm just fine with this one. In fact, I wish he would be our new DC instead of just a position coach.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
If Thacker is going to be the DC, he better have learned a lot from his failures last season. I’m not opposed to the idea of having our DC completely dedicated to that role only, but I have little confidence in the defensive play calling and personnel packages we’ve seen from Thacker thus far. I’m willing to forgive his role in the failings of the secondary the past 2 seasons because he had the linebackers to oversee, and the staffing of that unit was Collins’ responsibility, but the scheming of the front 6 put them into disadvantageous matchups more often than not this past season, and that can’t keep happening. Hopefully with more time on his hands, Thacker can spend more time analyzing what’s working and what’s not, and he can make better game plans that don’t result in us getting pushed around due to double teams and size mismatches.
Hopefully. Seems I been typing that word a lot lately.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
We really needed a QB coach.
Chip Long has already been hired as OC and QB coach:

"Chip Long was named Georgia Tech’s offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach on Dec. 5, 2021."

He's has success before with QBs, especially at Notre Dame with Ian Book:

"In his second season at ND, Long helped develop quarterback Ian Book from a backup into one of the nation’s top signal-callers. With Long directing the Fighting Irish’s offense, Book became the first Notre Dame quarterback to ever win the first nine starts of his career, set a school record with a 68.2 completion percentage, and was a semifinalist for the Maxwell Award (nation’s top player) and Davey O’Brien Award (nation’s top quarterback) and a finalist for the Manning Award (nation’s top quarterback). Notre Dame posted an undefeated regular season and earned its first CFP berth, and Long was named one of five finalists for the 2018 Broyles Award (nation’s top assistant coach)."

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
I can’t believe we didn’t retain DP and still have Thacker as DC. He seems like a great guy and a passionate coach, but the on field results deserved an axe, or at best a demotion to position coach.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
Collins cant get away from cronyism
It feels more like he wants yes men around him. I had hoped the attitude adjustment that was forced upon him at the end of the season would make him try to find the best coaches even if they don't agree with him.

Now having said that, the new more positive me is trying hard to believe that this is a good hire by him and it is only coincidence that he used to work for CGC in the past.

Last edited:

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
It feels more like he wants yes men around him. I had hoped the attitude adjustment that was forced upon him at the end of the season would make him try to find the best coaches even if they don't agree with him.

Now having said that, the new more positive me is trying hard to believe that this is a good hire by him and it is only coincendance that he used to work for CGC in the past.
Well, once TStan gave him the extra year, I think it is correct to allow Collins to either sink or swim with his decisions on hiring and firing.

I can't imagine he won't sink, but I do believe he could still be a poor gameday coach next year, and we could still win 5 games.

Also, do you really think many other coaches would want to jump into what we have going at GT at the moment?

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
It actually makes sense. This hire as LB coach allows Thacker to concentrate solely as DC. He gets to build a D and delegate. Combining CB & DB under 1 coach and having the DC only concerned about a DC role and not a position will improve our D. How much is a wait and see, but it will improve.
Love the positivity!
(... pray that is what happens...)

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
Chip Long has already been hired as OC and QB coach:

"Chip Long was named Georgia Tech’s offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach on Dec. 5, 2021."

He's has success before with QBs, especially at Notre Dame with Ian Book:

"In his second season at ND, Long helped develop quarterback Ian Book from a backup into one of the nation’s top signal-callers. With Long directing the Fighting Irish’s offense, Book became the first Notre Dame quarterback to ever win the first nine starts of his career, set a school record with a 68.2 completion percentage, and was a semifinalist for the Maxwell Award (nation’s top player) and Davey O’Brien Award (nation’s top quarterback) and a finalist for the Manning Award (nation’s top quarterback). Notre Dame posted an undefeated regular season and earned its first CFP berth, and Long was named one of five finalists for the 2018 Broyles Award (nation’s top assistant coach)."
Chip Long was not the quarterbacks coach while at Notre Dame. Long was the OC/TE coach. We need a proven quarterback coach.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Chip Long was not the quarterbacks coach while at Notre Dame. Long was the OC/TE coach. We need a proven quarterback coach.
Not disputing that. Just pointing out he's already been hired as OC/QB coach. The writeup credits him with helping to develop Ian Book, but I don't know how much of that is true. We'll see how he pans out...

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Do we have any confirmation of all this? It's just a tweet, right? Semore as linebacker coach. For all we know he's the new DC. Or, the whole thing is a figment of someone's imagination. Still no official announcement.