Has the cycle started to shift for the SEC?

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I made a trip to Germany several years ago and the client took a mechanic who had never been outside of central Florida. Not related to sports, but his culture shock was extremely large. He wouldn't go out to eat with us anywhere because there was a Burger King close to the hotel and he wanted to eat what he was familiar with.

I have worked on a business project outside of Chicago which an engineer from Auburn accompanied me on. It was during football season, and on Friday the client engineers were discussing NFL football. They asked me a question about it, and I told them that I only pay attention to college football. They made a comment about forgetting that people in the South are fanatical about college football. During the travel back to Atlanta, the Auburn guy did express that he was surprised that those people didn't seem to care at all about college football. The Auburn guy didn't know a lot about the NFL teams the Chicago guys were talking about, but that was before fantasy football was a big thing on the internet. He isn't with our company any more, but I'm sure he knows tons of stats about the NFL now.

It isn't just the stereotypical PBR drinking, wife beater shirt wearing hick that doesn't realize that the rest of the world isn't just like it is where he lives. College football is everywhere in the South. Walmart, convenience stores, mailboxes, flags on houses, billboards, etc. It is so prevalent down here that it is almost immediately obvious when you are out of the South. I would compare it to how flat the Midwest is. For a guy from Georgia, it sticks out that you can see for miles and everything is flat as it can be. It may take a little more time, but the lack of college gear does stick out. Nothing at Walmart, target, or convenience stores. It is similar to Chick-fil-A vs In-N-Out. People in California don't realize how big Chick-fil-A is and people in the South don't realize how big In-N-Out is. Sure there are people who travel and know that each is huge in their area, but the majority of people in each area don't realize just how big those things are in the other area.
When I lived in Massachusetts my wife and I used to joke, based on anecdotal evidence, that everybody in Massachusetts thinks that other places are just like them only with better weather.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
It isn't just the stereotypical PBR drinking, wife beater shirt wearing hick that doesn't realize that the rest of the world isn't just like it is where he lives.
But the rest of the world still believes that the PBR drinking, wife beater shirt wearing hicks are all alike, right?

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Protection for the best conference?? That’s not the narrative on espn!!!! Big bad best conference....
I looked at various sources on the "best conference" and this is the snapshot I think makes sense.

Is the SEC better than other conferences? Yes and no.

Yes
, in the since that it is better balanced. Urban Meyer, who coached at both the Ohio State University and the University of Florida, says as a Fox analysis (a network that doesn’t air many SEC games), “I’ve been watching a lot of that film to get ready for our shows coming up, the one thing about the SEC, that’s as talented a conference from top to bottom (as you’ll find) … no other conference has eight teams that really believe they can compete for a national title. In the SEC, there are eight programs right now that believe they’ll be in the mix for a national title spot.”

No. The SEC is better than other conferences at media manipulation and pretending that fiction is fact.

Because ESPN essentially owns college football, the SEC agenda it pushes invariably sets the tone followed by other media. In other words, ESPN’s message is: "We've invested billions in the SEC and we've decided to tell you, yet again, that SEC teams will dominate college football. Surprised?"

And … the college playoffs break down in the SEC's favor over the course of a season.

How? The preseason top twenty-five is stocked with the usual high-profile teams from across the country -- teams, not coincidentally, already scheduled for heavy broadcast exposure. Thanks to its gaudy TV contracts, many of these ranked teams come from the SEC.

So you can argue BOTH sides equally. The SEC is probably more talented than other conferences and may be more competitive across the board than others … OR … they are simply better at leveraging their exposure into post-season success.

Choose your poison.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I looked at various sources on the "best conference" and this is the snapshot I think makes sense.

Yes
, in the since that it is better balanced. Urban Meyer, who coached at both the Ohio State University and the University of Florida, says as a Fox analysis (a network that doesn’t air many SEC games), “I’ve been watching a lot of that film to get ready for our shows coming up, the one thing about the SEC, that’s as talented a conference from top to bottom (as you’ll find) … no other conference has eight teams that really believe they can compete for a national title. In the SEC, there are eight programs right now that believe they’ll be in the mix for a national title spot.”

No. The SEC is better than other conferences at media manipulation and pretending that fiction is fact.

Because ESPN essentially owns college football, the SEC agenda it pushes invariably sets the tone followed by other media. In other words, ESPN’s message is: "We've invested billions in the SEC and we've decided to tell you, yet again, that SEC teams will dominate college football. Surprised?"

And … the college playoffs break down in the SEC's favor over the course of a season.

How? The preseason top twenty-five is stocked with the usual high-profile teams from across the country -- teams, not coincidentally, already scheduled for heavy broadcast exposure. Thanks to its gaudy TV contracts, many of these ranked teams come from the SEC.

So you can argue BOTH sides equally. The SEC is probably more talented than other conferences and may be more competitive across the board than others … OR … they are simply better at leveraging their exposure into post-season success.

Choose your poison.
Another option is delusion caused by drinking the kool aid of SEC boosterism. If 8 SEC teams truly believe they are in the mix for a national championship that is some kind of alternate universe those teams live in.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Another option is delusion caused by drinking the kool aid of SEC boosterism. If 8 SEC teams truly believe they are in the mix for a national championship that is some kind of alternate universe those teams live in.
Maybe. Looking at the AP poll ... GA, AL, TN, LSU, Ole Miss and soon to be Texas and Oklahoma are all in the Top 25 and still have a shot. Or at least, they think they do.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Maybe. Looking at the AP poll ... GA, AL, TN, LSU, Ole Miss and soon to be Texas and Oklahoma are all in the Top 25 and still have a shot. Or at least, they think they do.
And none of the first 5 has played and beaten a team of note outside their conference. Ole Miss beating a suspect Tulane team is questionable to me, as well, because they'll not finish the season in the Top25. It's a circular argument. Alabama has ZERO business being ranked in the Top 25. LSU has ZERO business being ranked in the Top 25. There are teams with no losses and very good wins ranked below them. That's BS. Let them fall out of the Top 25 after a loss and have to earn their way back in. Better yet, Don't rank any teams until after the 6th game. That way everyone is starting on an even playing field.

The ONLY reason we split the national championship in 1990 was because we were unranked at the beginning of the season and really weren't taken seriously until after we beat UVa. Even then we were not being given the respect we deserved.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
And none of the first 5 has played and beaten a team of note outside their conference. Ole Miss beating a suspect Tulane team is questionable to me, as well, because they'll not finish the season in the Top25. It's a circular argument. Alabama has ZERO business being ranked in the Top 25. LSU has ZERO business being ranked in the Top 25. There are teams with no losses and very good wins ranked below them. That's BS. Let them fall out of the Top 25 after a loss and have to earn their way back in. Better yet, Don't rank any teams until after the 6th game. That way everyone is starting on an even playing field.

The ONLY reason we split the national championship in 1990 was because we were unranked at the beginning of the season and really weren't taken seriously until after we beat UVa. Even then we were not being given the respect we deserved.
What did I say? "... they think they do."

So, until they lose, they will think they have a shot.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Stewart Mandel of The Athletic has an interesting article today that covers the SEC’s struggles among other things, including Jeff Sims. Surprisingly, it is relatively grounded in realism (no hot takes about how if an SEC team loses an OOC game, it is because the OOC team belongs in the SEC). A quote: “It was a great run, SEC.”

If you are a subscriber, here’s the link: https://theathletic.com/4848846/202...ll-results/?source=dailyemail&campaign=601983

Time to cue the folks who will say “I refuse to pay for sports journalism.” Sorry.

IM79

Jolly Good Fellow
Stewart Mandel of The Athletic has an interesting article today that covers the SEC’s struggles among other things, including Jeff Sims. Surprisingly, it is relatively grounded in realism (no hot takes about how if an SEC team loses an OOC game, it is because the OOC team belongs in the SEC). A quote: “It was a great run, SEC.”

If you are a subscriber, here’s the link: https://theathletic.com/4848846/202...ll-results/?source=dailyemail&campaign=601983

Time to cue the folks who will say “I refuse to pay for sports journalism.” Sorry.
Here’s a hack for the Athletic:
Find the article posted on the writer’s Twitter . Click to open it, quickly find and click on the reader view button. The locked article will open right up

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I would like to see them rank 7-8 ACC teams in the preseason top 25 and 3-4 in the top ten. It will never happen, but we would have more ranked by season end.
Your statement as a hypothetical is on point because it suggests that there is something more going on than just winning. Tech was playing as well as any team in the nation at the end of 2014 yet the preseason poll for 2015 did not even put them in the top 15. The point is not whether they deserved or didn’t deserve a particular ranking. The point is that certain programs are perceived as strong and even if these programs have an average season or even, for them, a down season, the very next season they poll strongly again. They don’t have to prove themselves and are given the benefit of the doubt until they prove they didn’t deserve the ranking, which, witness LSU this year, is hard to do.

colton

Georgia Tech Fan

Yes

Choose your poison.
The kicker is that the SEC has the strongest and most marketable fanbases. Everyone says "media market this media market that" in regards to realignment, but the truth is, big city folk really don't care too much about college football. In the suburban and rural South, college football is a weekly holiday. ESPN knows this, and it's way easier to gas up these mid-level SEC schools because these mid-level SEC fans will eat it up. Take Mississippi State, for example, consistently ranked in the 15-25 region, but nevertheless always manage to end the season ranked. Are they one of the best 25 teams in the country? It's definitely possible, even though they lost 4 games by the end of last season. But, in and around Starkville, Mississippi are thousands of fans ready to watch Mississippi State play every single Saturday, and with that, watch the hundreds of ads ESPN pumps into the games, lining their pockets. On the other hand, a mid-level ACC or Big 12 team that ends the season with 4 losses is seen for what they are -- mediocre. As much as I hate to support Duke, they barely missed the Top 25, with the same 9-4 record as Mississippi State. Pitt finished with the same record, but still managed to end lower ranked than Mississippi State. Basically, ESPN has to keep their largest viewer base and group of supporters happy to ensure they make the big bucks.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
The kicker is that the SEC has the strongest and most marketable fanbases. Everyone says "media market this media market that" in regards to realignment, but the truth is, big city folk really don't care too much about college football. In the suburban and rural South, college football is a weekly holiday. ESPN knows this, and it's way easier to gas up these mid-level SEC schools because these mid-level SEC fans will eat it up. Take Mississippi State, for example, consistently ranked in the 15-25 region, but nevertheless always manage to end the season ranked. Are they one of the best 25 teams in the country? It's definitely possible, even though they lost 4 games by the end of last season. But, in and around Starkville, Mississippi are thousands of fans ready to watch Mississippi State play every single Saturday, and with that, watch the hundreds of ads ESPN pumps into the games, lining their pockets. On the other hand, a mid-level ACC or Big 12 team that ends the season with 4 losses is seen for what they are -- mediocre. As much as I hate to support Duke, they barely missed the Top 25, with the same 9-4 record as Mississippi State. Pitt finished with the same record, but still managed to end lower ranked than Mississippi State. Basically, ESPN has to keep their largest viewer base and group of supporters happy to ensure they make the big bucks.
Who does espn have to please? Fans or Advertisers.
Getting a great saturation of south is good but gets less ad revenue than the anticipated good saturation nation wide.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Your statement as a hypothetical is on point because it suggests that there is something more going on than just winning. Tech was playing as well as any team in the nation at the end of 2014 yet the preseason poll for 2015 did not even put them in the top 15. The point is not whether they deserved or didn’t deserve a particular ranking. The point is that certain programs are perceived as strong and even if these programs have an average season or even, for them, a down season, the very next season they poll strongly again. They don’t have to prove themselves and are given the benefit of the doubt until they prove they didn’t deserve the ranking, which, witness LSU this year, is hard to do.
Exactly!

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer