Has the cycle started to shift for the SEC?

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
Is it the main stream media networks versus ESPN? Is ESPN worried about it's survival long term? I don't know this, just ask the question. Who ends up with THE CFB conference coverage, I believe we are headed to one major CFB conference eventually and they know that and the SEC powers that be also know that. Are we watching the peak of the rural CFB powers such as AL, ARK, Ole Miss, Auburn MSU and others, don't know but I wonder? SEC people believed Lincoln Riley left OK for USC because he did not want to play in SEC, I never have thought that, I think it was because he knows the future is about being in the master CFB conference and located in a major media mkt. The future is bright for GT if I'm right. I'm guessing the word is now getting around to the HS coaches and therefore recruits and as we go fwd. Do really talented HS kids set themselves up to stay in their media mkt area HS through college if they can, I know some of this is already happening, I just see it becoming a thing in our case for kids to stay here in ATL and let their name carry them in whatever they do the rest of their lives. For black Americans there may be no better place to be than here going fwd. They will need to have some smarts. CBK is sitting on a gold mine IMO and I think he knows that, a really good AD and a committed college Pres showing leadership to help it all along. All IMO of course.
Does the NIL now make more sense, it does for me. Do we end up with teams in the playoffs with 2 losses, very possible because there will be parity with the transfer portal etc.

Last edited:

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Is it the main stream media networks versus ESPN? Is ESPN worried about it's survival long term? I don't know this, just ask the question. Who ends up with THE CFB conference coverage, I believe we are headed to one major CFB conference eventually and they know that and the SEC powers that be also know that. Are we watching the peak of the rural CFB powers such as AL, ARK, Ole Miss, Auburn MSU and others, don't know but I wonder? SEC people believed Lincoln Riley left OK for USC because he did not want to play in SEC, I never have thought that, I think it was because he knows the future is about being in the master CFB conference and located in a major media mkt. The future is bright for GT if I'm right. I'm guessing the word is now getting around to the HS coaches and therefore recruits and as we go fwd. Do really talented HS kids set themselves up to stay in their media mkt area HS through college if they can, I know some of this is already happening, I just see it becoming a thing in our case for kids to stay here in ATL and let their name carry them in whatever they do the rest of their lives. For black Americans there may be no better place to be than here going fwd. They will need to have some smarts. CBK is sitting on a gold mine IMO and I think he knows that, a really good AD and a committed college Pres showing leadership to help it all along. All IMO of course.
Does the NIL now make more sense, it does for me. Do we end up with teams in the playoffs with 2 losses, very possible because there will be parity with the transfer portal etc.
Fun alternative narrative.

LT 1967

Jolly Good Fellow
Just seems that the sports media and talking heads always define an SEC loss as an anomaly, whereas an ACC loss is a sign of a weak team and conference.

Surely, we knew that LSU didn't have their great receiver or whatever. I actually hear a guy on the CBS football review work in a phrase that "LSU was a dominating team in the SEC west".

And so it goes!

Last edited:

slugboy

Staff member
Usually, the SEC West is considered the tougher division.

I’d love to have the talent that Alabama has, and their shot at the CFP. LSU, Alabama, and Texas A&M were preseason favorites for the playoffs—all of them have one loss after two games. Each of them might make the playoffs with two losses, but it’s gonna be a challenge—they have to hope for mistakes in the other conferences. Auburn, Arkansas, Miss State, and Ole Miss are on top of the SEC West. This is Ole Miss’s best shot at the West in a while.

In the SEC East, UGA, Kentucky, Tennessee, and Missouri are all undefeated. Most everyone considers the East to be UGA’s.

As of right now, UGA, Alabama, and Tennessee would make the 12-team CFP field—although Tennessee could narrowly miss as of today’s rankings.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
As I watched the “ACC” network last night I noticed that the scores at the bottom of the screen were often from SEC games. Maybe I’m paranoid but if I tune into an SEC game I don’t usually see scores from ACC games at the bottom. ESPN seems to have an agenda.
When I was a kid, before the age of cable, you would go to Church on Sunday and the priest would announce football scores before Mass. Alabama, Auburn, and LSU (due to where I lived.)

But never the ACC! 🤔

Those Catholics sure had an agenda.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Just seems that the sports media and talking heads always define an SEC loss as an anomaly, whereas an ACC loss is a sign of a weak team and conference.

Surely, we knew that LSU didn't have their great receiver or whatever. I actually hear a guy on the CBS football review work in a phrase that "LSU was a dominating team in the SEC west".

And so it goes!
LSU IS a dominating team in the West. As I recall, LSU has the most NFL talent in play today. They are one of only two states that have no serious in state rival for talent. They are SUPPOSED to win.

LT 1967

Jolly Good Fellow
I suppose my thinking was based on how the media uses words like dominating or powerful when referring to the SEC or SEC teams. Plus, the recent LSU performance against FSU certainly
did not reflect much dominance! Even though we don't like them so much right now maybe the ACC has one dominate team that could win their West!

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Usually, the SEC West is considered the tougher division.

I’d love to have the talent that Alabama has, and their shot at the CFP. LSU, Alabama, and Texas A&M were preseason favorites for the playoffs—all of them have one loss after two games. Each of them might make the playoffs with two losses, but it’s gonna be a challenge—they have to hope for mistakes in the other conferences. Auburn, Arkansas, Miss State, and Ole Miss are on top of the SEC West. This is Ole Miss’s best shot at the West in a while.

In the SEC East, UGA, Kentucky, Tennessee, and Missouri are all undefeated. Most everyone considers the East to be UGA’s.

As of right now, UGA, Alabama, and Tennessee would make the 12-team CFP field—although Tennessee could narrowly miss as of today’s rankings.
They will have to beat Georgia to get in. Too early, but right now it looks like Ugag, Texas, FSU, and Mich/OSst/PSU winner.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer

And so it goes!
I can’t find it now, but yesterday I read an article on ESPN.com where Heather Dinich mentioned the SEC’s losses to the ACC. Her spin was WTTE of “Looks like the SEC needs to extend an invite to FSU, UNC, Miami, and…Wake Forest.” I took that as meaning that if you’re an ACC team and beat an SEC team, you have cleared the bar for admission to the Elite Conference. Not that another conference might actually be better this year.

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer
It's a rotating schedule, just never rotates thru Tuscaloosa or Baton Rouge. It won't rotate thru Austin or Norman either.
look I dont like defending them but the conference made them cancel their game against OU and they're playing in Tuscaloosa and Austin literally next year. it's the same thing that all the other coastal teams basically got to dodge clemson the whole time they were good. the conferences are so massive and the scheduling was stupid with only 1 cross conference rotating opponent.

deeznats

Jolly Good Fellow
When I was a kid, before the age of cable, you would go to Church on Sunday and the priest would announce football scores before Mass. Alabama, Auburn, and LSU (due to where I lived.)

But never the ACC! 🤔

Those Catholics sure had an agenda.
Hopefully the ACC altar boys attracted less attention from the priests as well.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
What ACC altar boys? They were 500+ miles away.
Which probably has something to do with why their scores weren't announced.

SEC fanboys seem to believe that everywhere in the country is as passionate about the SEC as people in the Southeast. Get a good old country boy from lower Alabama who has never been outside of Alabama and Florida and he will be absolutely shocked that there are no Alabama, Auburn, out LSU shirts on sale at Walmart in upper Michigan.