Has Laskey become Wally Pipp?

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
No disrespect to SD, who played his tail off today, but Laskey would have had a big day against NC State too. Our o-line has become dominant at the point of attack.

I think Laskey starts if he's healthy, though it might quickly become a whoever has the hot hand thing.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Yes, I agree. Zach would have had roughly the same stats as Days against the last three teams; two of them - UVA and NCSt - are pretty bad defensive teams. Pitt is also no better then usual. Zach got 133 yards against Miami, remember, and he was on track for a 100 yard game against UNC.

I don't know what Coach will do when Zach comes back, but an injury shouldn't put you on the bench. Oth, he's been out awhile and Days has been hot. We'll see.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
No disrespect to SD, who played his tail off today, but Laskey would have had a big day against NC State too. Our o-line has become dominant at the point of attack.

I think Laskey starts if he's healthy, though it might quickly become a whoever has the hot hand thing.
Though I agree Laskey would've had good days against these teams, and that the OL is a big part of the success, I've got to agree with the sentiments of many about the revelation of Synjyn Days. Laskey looked to me to be as good of a BBack as Anthony Allen or maybe better, but Synjyn looks like a next level player at that position. He brings a little more power, balance, push and slipperiness than Laskey. Seriously he looks like the best RB we've had at that position since Dwyer, and I have loved watching him play. I will enjoy watching both of those guys do their thing these last 3-4 big games and hopefully put exclamation points on the close of their fine GT careers.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
How would you like to have to defend against Laskey and Sims?

And our ABs?

And JT & Byerly?

And Smelter & Waller?

Point is that they are all good and we need to rotate everyone to find the hot players that day.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I also feel like Days has actually improved every game he has played there. His trajectory is definitely upward. I don't really agree that you shouldn't lose your position due to an injury. I prefer to take the position that in sports nobody owes you anything. Any team has to go with whoever they think gives them the best chance to win regardless of the circumstances. That being said, I have no idea who will be starting when ZL returns. I am comfortable either way. If forced to choose right now, I would go with Days. You have to ride the hot hand.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Both have been instrument in our success. Damn glad to have both. Hope both get plenty of snaps. Days starts IMO till Laskey is healed up and back to near 100% (or as close as any player can be to 100% 10 games into the season)

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
No disrespect to anyone but you have to be blind to think that laskey is anywhere near as good as Synjyn at this point. Synjyn shows vision that laskey simply doesn't have. UVA and Pitt are both good defensively so idk who said they weren't but that's just absolutely a false statement.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Good problem to have. Confident that the staff will pick the starter based upon he they do in practice. SD need to concentrate on not fumbling if he wants to "earn" the starter role.

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck
Agreed with above, good problem to have. Days looks more violent when running which I like, but laskey runs with abandon too...

Either way you got to think these guys will both see snaps moving forward and will keep eachother fresh. Those guys can take a beating throughout a game.

Something else i wonder is how laskey comes back after a shoulder injury. That's a crap injury for anyone on the field, but to a guy that makes a living running behind the pads and shoulder, could be something interesting to watch.

zhavenor

Jolly Good Fellow
Am I the only one who's afraid to google "Wally Pipp"?

I'm in no mood to get Rick rolled. :)
Wally Pipp was the starting 1st baseman for the NY Yankees and sat out one day with a head ache. Lou Gehrig Replaced him and the proceeded to play in over 1000 straight games. Wally Pipp later played with the Cincinnati Reds.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
This offense is the ultimate sum of all parts.

Since Days has been the starting BB, GT's offensive stats:

49 points/game.
523 Total offense per game
404 rushing yards per game

Days as averaged 138 yards on the ground per game, with his totals increasing every game. He has yet to play an entire game as a starter because we've gotten ahead so far in the 4th. I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think CPJ has had a BB who's put 3 100+ rushing yard games in a row.

I like Laskey, and think he's a good BB, but our offense is on another level with Days as the BB. Days is and should be the starting BB until Laskey can exceed that kind of production. Because of the rise of Snoddy and Perk at AB along with Zenon, JeT's explosiveness on the ground and in the air, and Smelter's ability to stretch the field vertically...the other team has to defend us in every part of the field right now. Right now, there is no weakness on our offense, and Days has become a large part of why that's the case.

yellowRambler

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm team Days. You do not take the hot hand out of the lineup even if someone's feelings might be hurt. As Techster said 49 pppg and 404 rushing ypg. Don't fix what's not broken. Days is faster, stronger, quicker, more explosive etc.

TechPhi97

Ramblin' Wreck
I also feel like Days has actually improved every game he has played there. His trajectory is definitely upward. I don't really agree that you shouldn't lose your position due to an injury. I prefer to take the position that in sports nobody owes you anything. Any team has to go with whoever they think gives them the best chance to win regardless of the circumstances. That being said, I have no idea who will be starting when ZL returns. I am comfortable either way. If forced to choose right now, I would go with Days. You have to ride the hot hand.
Agreed. Days ran away from people on that long run yesterday, haven't seen that all year. And he running very aggressively, getting a ton of extra yards and falling forward. Laskey had the big Miami game, but then reverted to his upright style. Ride the hot hand indeed....

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I don't know about you guys but I thought Days looked surprisingly fast on his breakout run. It took him a couple strides too many to get to top speed but he was turning them over pretty good. Nobody was closing on him. He is definitely faster than Sims.