Hall retained. Borrell fired.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
FSU just made the splashiest hire of them all last off-season. I will be VERY surprised if they make another hire in the next three seasons, and would be willing to bet they are set for the next 10 years at a minimum, probably closer to 15 seasons. Jarrett has won everywhere he has been, including UNC-Greensboro, so no reason to expect differently in Tallahassee.

Now, if you mean Ramsey to Tallahassee as a recruiting lead/associate head coach, I could see that.

I mean they were really bad this year so I guess I was shocked by that but maybe the cupboard was left bare.

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
Wallace at FSU (Recruiting Coord) is on watch list for UCF (which would open Recruiting Coord at FSU)

1685654328609.png

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I really don’t get the love affair that some of the GT baseball fanbase has with Ramsey becoming the next HC. I think he’s solid as an assistant, but there hasn’t been anything that jumps out to anyone as the can’t miss guy. The most smoke surrounding Ramsey as a HC has come from Kennesaw State. A “meh” program in a pretty bad conference, and even after they move to CUSA in 2025 it’s still not a prestigious baseball league.

Has Ramsey helped recruiting? Maybe marginally. But when you factor in the new renovations to the facilities, Danny Borrell’s pedigree as a pitching coach (yeah I know his staffs sucked here), and Danny Hall’s legacy as one of the best coaches in college baseball history, how much can you truly attribute directly to Ramsey? It’s not like we weren’t already recruiting well to begin with.

Ramsey got (and gets) a lot of credit for our hitting success, but GT has always been one of the top offenses in the country under CDH. When Ramsey got to GT in Spring of 2019, GT went on our best run in recent memory. But how much did Ramsey really have to do with that? All 4 of our starting pitchers (Curry, Thomas, Hurter, Willingham) went on to get drafted (3 of them that year) and all 4 are currently in AA or higher. A lineup that included Tristin English, Kyle McCann (both in AAA), Michael Guldberg, Luke Waddell (both in AA), Baron Radcliff (A+), Chase Murray who was drafted but is now out of the game, and a plethora of other upperclass veterans (Wilhite’s, Webb, Colin Hall).

That year’s roster had a ton of talent and experience, and I think Ramsey gets a little more credit than he deserves for how that team performed. Yet, CDH gets all of the blame for not making it out of our regional.

All of that to say this: I’m glad Ramsey is on our staff. I think he’s very competent and he does bring energy than CDH doesn’t really exude anymore. But I’m certainly not sold on Ramsey being the auto choice when CDH’s time at GT finally comes to an end. I believe there will be several options with much more impressive resumes than Ramsey’s when the time comes.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
I love what Ramsey has done. You can see it in how he has changed the approach of our hitters with clear results. I don’t know how much “credit” he gets for recruiting, but I would be happy to have him as our next HC over older, more proven coaches. I agree he doesn’t have much of a track record, but I don’t mind taking a chance on his upside!

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Carwile, Baughcum, and Samol all in the transfer portal. Baughcum has already found a new spot.

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow
I like James Ramsey, he seems to be a good recruiter and we have had good hitting under him. That said, as I have stated several times in the past, I think we as a fanbase over-value his appeal to other schools. I have never heard his name mentioned for any coaching job except the Kennesaw State job a couple of years ago, and he failed to land that one. If you look at his resume, it is quite short. He's still very young at 33 years old, turning 34 in December. As Fred stated, his competition is folks who have proven that they can run a successful program, and further down the list, assistants at successful programs, usually multiple successful programs. If we lose Ramsey, I think it will most likely be as a "lateral" move to become the assistant at a different school to get himself more exposure, or as the head coach of a small school like a Kennesaw St or a Western Carolina a la Bobby Moranda. It could be that he can step in on Day 1 and take our program to great heights, but that would be the exception to the rule if he did.

ETA: I hate to say this, but I am quite confident UGa will make a splash hire of a proven head coach. Almost certainly one who has made several trips to a super-regional in the last few years, and most likely one who has taken his program to Omaha once or twice in recent seasons.

Now that I have written this, I expect Ramsey to be named to a high profile position within the next month. When that happens, I expect a percentage of the agent fees!
UGa has hired Wes Johnson (LSU pitching coach) as their new head coach. Not a bad hire, but I really expected them to hire someone with a proven track record as a head coach.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
UGa has hired Wes Johnson (LSU pitching coach) as their new head coach. Not a bad hire, but I really expected them to hire someone with a proven track record as a head coach.

UGA didn't hire a proven head coach when they hired Stricklin. He was a GT assistant coach at one time. Don't recall if that's where he was when UGA hired him. I'd prefer to let sleeping dawgs lie,,,

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow
UGA didn't hire a proven head coach when they hired Stricklin. He was a GT assistant coach at one time. Don't recall if that's where he was when UGA hired him. I'd prefer to let sleeping dawgs lie,,,
Actually Stricklin had success as the head coach at Kent St. and took them to Omaha in 2012. He was considered a very good hire at the time, and IMO was doing a decent job at UGa. They were robbed of a clear Omaha team in 2020 by Covid. Obviously, since this is his first shot as a head coach I can't say for certain, but I would put the probability at 50/50 that Johnson is an improvement over Stricklin.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
This really surprises me, but I'm glad to hear it. I hope they continue to be unwilling to spend their riches on baseball.
Surprised me too. I wonder how 'accurate' the source (or the interpretation of the sources info) really is. Not that important; but certainly interesting. Can we turn this into a recruiting advantage? Every little bit helps.

slugboy

Staff member
Surprised me too. I wonder how 'accurate' the source (or the interpretation of the sources info) really is. Not that important; but certainly interesting. Can we turn this into a recruiting advantage? Every little bit helps.
We’re recruiting “top 15 or top 20 classes” in theory. As far as the ratings are concerned, I’m not sure how much better our recruiting can get.

In real life, we need to improve our pitching and defense. I don’t know how much is nature (recruiting) vs nurture (coaching and training), but I don’t think the team in Athens is the biggest factor.

Somehow, we need to get smarter about pitching. Sorry, but I don’t have secret wisdom to share

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow
Anybody know what would be a reasonable timeline on announcing the new hire (pitching coach)? Seems asap would be the answer, right?
The transfer portal window closes on July 13th. I think that is the timeline to announce you are entering, not the deadline for choosing a new school. Anyone know for certain? Anyway, I would think that would mean you want to have someone in place by July 13th. I will note that Borrell was hired in August, but things are probably a little different now. I will also note that 16 schools are still playing and if CFDH is looking at a coach from one of those schools he may have to wait.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
The transfer portal window closes on July 13th. I think that is the timeline to announce you are entering, not the deadline for choosing a new school. Anyone know for certain? Anyway, I would think that would mean you want to have someone in place by July 13th. I will note that Borrell was hired in August, but things are probably a little different now. I will also note that 16 schools are still playing and if CFDH is looking at a coach from one of those schools he may have to wait.
UGA just announced (after it leaked, I think)... hiring a guy still playing.