Halfway Through The Regular Season: What Do We Know?

Big Philly

Jolly Good Fellow
We know that Justin Thomas is electric, but is also a redshirt-Sophomore in his first year as a starter.

We know that our A-Backs and Wide Receivers are very capable, the question is how many chances will they get?

We know that Paul Johnson looks and sounds like Paul Johnson again.

We know that if we don't fix this third down defense it's going to be detrimental to my mental and physical health.

We know that our front-6/7 are... small.

We know that our special teams have gone from Achilles' Heel to pretty darn good over the last few years, as long as Butker is kicking directly in the middle of the field.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Also know that big plays over 40 yds are harder to come by. Only fix I see for this is more efficiency and dedication to the passing game. JT + overall improved pass protection + Our WRs make me think this is possible.

This is just simply untrue.

Are you insinuating that we are a consistently seven win program in a mediocre conference with superior athletes? Clemson, Georgia, UNC don't have better players? Pittsburgh in the hotbed of western PA? UVA is the state university and NCST may be the only team that is debatable.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Duke actually surprised me with their speed on defense and their ability to close on our runners when they broke free of the LOS.
There was definitely a speed and tackling difference between the two secondaries. Even my daughter cheerleader picked up on that.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Are you insinuating that we are a consistently seven win program in a mediocre conference with superior athletes? Clemson, Georgia, UNC don't have better players? Pittsburgh in the hotbed of western PA? UVA is the state university and NCST may be the only team that is debatable.

You said ALL 6 have better players.

Dave Doeren is in his second year at Nc State and hasn't won a conference game yet but they have better players? Come on.

UVA is the state university? So what....VT is more talented then them.

We are more talented than Nc State, UVA and Pitt...Could argue UNC as well.

Clemson and uga are the only two you can look at and say they have superior athletes.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

PBR {oops JBR} is correct in this sense. Over the last four years, the average Scout recruiting class ranking for all the teams we have to play and GT is:
UGAg 10.8th
Clemson 19.3
UNC 31.8
UVa 37.5
Pitt 39.3
NCState 51.8
GT 56.5

Shows how poor the Scout rankings of our classes (and small our 2013 class) have been. It is what it is. The good news is we are getting a great class next year. We just need to survive this year and next and then should roll. But we aren't doing too bad going into the tougher part of our schedule.

Just beat UNC.

Cheesehead Jacket

Georgia Tech Fan
I completely agree with this. We are trending upward on getting better players , but we are not there yet IMO.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
IMO our biggest deficiency in recruiting now is the same as always. Elite defensive tackles. We get some fairly good ones time to time but I can't recall the last outland trophy winner or finalist. Pitt just got one so I know GT can too. I think the prospects we have coming in for 2015 can be difference makers here.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Offense playing as a team, two very good Qbs, Oline suprise , bb solid , ab need a breakout game, receivers most improved. COACH has swagger and is dialing up the plays as needed.
Greatest Need is to find a way to get ab going and put a total game together soon.
Defense grit is strong and playing lots of players that will get much better as they mature this season. Blitzes seem to increase their intensity. These are character building times that will comeback as strong lessons learned.
ST much better and golden is a real game breaker, we need to just kick it out of end zone and move on.
Player conditioning is excellent
Fans are hungry for big win in spite of very good start.

Don't know for sure but I think we are a lot better on offense than we have shown to date and have a very high ceiling if we can be aggressive.
I really am proud of the team and coaches.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
IMO our biggest deficiency in recruiting now is the same as always. Elite defensive tackles. We get some fairly good ones time to time but I can't recall the last outland trophy winner or finalist. Pitt just got one so I know GT can too. I think the prospects we have coming in for 2015 can be difference makers here.
We've gotten DT's we just can't keep a lot of them. I don't even think DT is our problem this year. DE is. Our DT's are just getting double teamed because our DE's can't do anything.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Agree we are struggling more at DE. Our DTs this year are pretty decent. Can get the job done if not double teamed. But they ain't elite. And elite DTs are what you need if you want an elite D overall. We have had some good Ds at Tech but very few that could be labeled elite. I think we have had, in the past, elite players at every position other than DT (in the modern era)

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
DEs are hugely important too, especially in NFL or when facing pass happy offenses (which are becoming more and more prolific). Our best DEs historically seem to have been teamed with some very good DTs. Marco Coleman had Coleman Rudolph (most elite DT I can recall). D. Morgan had Vance Walker. Id have to go back and see who Gathers was teamed with. Attouchu had Gotsis. Most folks would rather have an elite DE instead of an elite DT. I'd prefer the elite DT. I just think they are fewer and harder to find.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Agree we are struggling more at DE. Our DTs this year are pretty decent. Can get the job done if not double teamed. But they ain't elite. And elite DTs are what you need if you want an elite D overall. We have had some good Ds at Tech but very few that could be labeled elite. I think we have had, in the past, elite players at every position other than DT (in the modern era)
The whole double team observation is true on passing downs. How do you explain how they're are brushed aside with ease on running plays? (See Duke game)